• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Folate-free B-complex

Mr. Cat

Hello methylators,

I am trying the newest version of Freddd's B12 protocol after having moderate success with B12 for several years. I understand that now, in addition to folic acid, vegetable folate found in many B-complexes, is considered to mess with the protocol. I am now taking folic-acid-free Garden of Life Vitamin Code B-Complex, but it does have folate (225mcg/pill, 450mcg for 2 pills)from vegetables. Is this enough to cause a problem? Does anyone know of a B-complex that is free of things like folate that we shouldn't be taking?

Last edited:

ahmo

BadBadBear

I am surprised more people here don't mix their own B complex. I did that for about a year, it was not very hard to do... Just based the proportions on pure encapsulations mixture, and used the forms of B that I wanted. I am thinking I'll either do that again or else pick up some of the Swanson stuff listed above. The Swanson blend looks interesting and is reasonably priced...

But then I am in Colorado, the 'Roll Your Own' state... :D

Victronix

To avoid folate or folic acid I used to take the Nature Made one but then my B6 got way too high and I had to stop. Now I get the other Bs separately. I get Source Naturals coenzymated (B1, B2, Biotin, etc) via iherb and then cut the pills into quarters and then take a quarter of each one each day. It's a nuisance to cut them up, but I just do it once for all of them about 1x every week or two.

Victronix

It was very confusing, because I was coming off of taking methyl-folate at the time, which caused a lot of problems of it's own, but even after stopping methyl-folate, I was having a lot of bizarre symptoms that weren't getting any better, like sudden very intense anxiety that would come in waves at odd times (i.e., walking out of a grocery store), ongoing numbness in my feet, extreme stiffness in my legs so that it would be hard to walk when I got out of bed in the morning, extreme leg muscle cramping that was not helped by potassium, etc.

So I got my B6 level tested and then stopped taking it altogether. As soon as I did, within about 1 day, all of the strange and awful feelings were cut in 1/2. That was how I really knew. It was night and day and those were symptoms that had gone on for weeks. The leg cramping took much longer to resolve, however, but today, months later, is a LOT better. My B-6 results came back at almost the top of the range at that time (that test takes more than a week to get results). Recently I got it tested again, taking no B6, and it is at half that, like 14, but well in range.

Freddd

Regarding vegetable extracted B-vitamins - I tried some that looked very good. It took 2 days to cause me a problem that was for intents identical with folinic acid I suspected because of my reaction to "too many veggies" when our garden was producing full speed ahead. I wanted to know how that related. I have no idea what percentage of people have this problem but I suspect that we are concentrated here. As far as I can tell, if a person is sensitive to vegetable folates in this way, I would hypothesize that problems would go back to childhood as mine do. That is generational as now all children get folic acid almost unavoidably, and problems are exploding in these new generations at younger ages. My partner took the next 96 of them left in the bottle with no apparent problem at all. She also doesn't have the familiar potassium response.

I've never had a problem with p5p or B6 that I am aware of, but I am going to trial it now that it's being mentioned. It's good that we are finding out more and more of these pathways that some have troubles with.