• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anti-Inflammatory Cauliflower Curry

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?

xchocoholic

You could always pick up a similar dish from a Thai restaurant and just add cauliflower. Granted it may not be made with organic anything. You may need to thin it with chicken or veggie broth.

Baking cauliflower in the oven with evoo or evco and spices is easier and yummy too.

Now I'm hungry. Tc . X

alex3619

I used to cook this kind of thing regularly. Coconut milk is nice, but yoghurt works too. Now I am avoiding chili, but not other spices. Heat can be obtained from black or white pepper, mustard or horseradish if you cannot tolerate chili. An alternative non-heat pepper-like spice is cardamom.

Let me add I really like cauliflower curry.

The advantage of using yoghurt, presuming you can tolerate dairy, is that it increases the protein content of the curry.

ukxmrv

Can't eat cauliflower any longer and I love the stuff. All the brassicas really upset my stomach.

My currys are with aubergine at the moment.

rosie26

I should try a curry recipe. I might have a go at this one sometime.

I made curried sausages some years ago but I find sausages so heavy and I feel quite full after just one sausage, especially with mashed potato on the plate as well.

MeSci

I should try a curry recipe. I might have a go at this one sometime.

I made curried sausages some years ago but I find sausages so heavy and I feel quite full after just one sausage, especially with mashed potato on the plate as well.

What do sausages contain in NZ? I ask because in some countries they contain grain starch - could that be the problem? Wikipedia say about NZ sausages:

Sausage rolls are a popular snack and party food, as are saveloys, cheerios, and locally manufactured cabanossi. Traditional sausages similar to English bangers are eaten throughout the country; these are usually made of finely ground beef or mutton[24] with breadcrumbs, very mildly spiced, stuffed into an edible collagen casing which crisps and splits when fried. These may be eaten for breakfast, lunch or dinner. In recent years, many international and exotic sausages have also become widely available in NZ.[25]

MeSci

You could always pick up a similar dish from a Thai restaurant and just add cauliflower. Granted it may not be made with organic anything. You may need to thin it with chicken or veggie broth.

Baking cauliflower in the oven with evoo or evco and spices is easier and yummy too.

Now I'm hungry. Tc . X

No Thai restaurants in my small home town. There weren't even Indian ones (or Chinese?) until the 1990s!

I had to look up "evoo or evco"! I would definitely favour coconut oil for cooking, as unsaturated fatty acids are prone to oxidation when heated.

xchocoholic

A few years back I read that evoo is ok cooked a low temps.
My old bottle of evoo had the max temp on it but the one I have now doesn't. I thought it was 350°.

I vary which oil I use based on taste. Sometime I want evco and sometimes I want evoo. I'd use evco with any meal that contained coconut. But evoo is yummy for baked veggies like cauliflower, brocolli, zuchini or squash.

Tc .. x

alex3619

EVOO does have an additional problem though. It has to be reasonably fresh. Not only heat can damage it, but oxygen. Buy it in small bottles, not big ones, preferably coloured glass.

I also cook with EVOO. Its no worse than cooking with OO (to go with the acronyms). Its mostly monounsaturated, so there is not that much polyunsaturated to damage. One thing that is a big no though is to deep fry with it. The best use is salad etc. of course, but low temperature cooking is not a big deal in my view.

The main benefit from EVOO though is the polyphenols not the oil itself. These are natural antioxidants amongst other things. Its why OVOO is often green. These can be inactivated by heat or oxygen.

At higher temperatures though I think EVCO is superior.

MeSci

EVOO does have an additional problem though. It has to be reasonably fresh. Not only heat can damage it, but oxygen. Buy it in small bottles, not big ones, preferably coloured glass.

I also cook with EVOO. Its no worse than cooking with OO (to go with the acronyms). Its mostly monounsaturated, so there is not that much polyunsaturated to damage. One thing that is a big no though is to deep fry with it. The best use is salad etc. of course, but low temperature cooking is not a big deal in my view.

The main benefit from EVOO though is the polyphenols not the oil itself. These are natural antioxidants amongst other things. Its why OVOO is often green. These can be inactivated by heat or oxygen.

At higher temperatures though I think EVCO is superior.

Just had a look for authoritative, referenced info on heating the various types of fat, and this looks good.

I first came across the hazards of heating unsaturated oils on the Alliance for Natural Health website - not always reliable by any means but sometimes has good referenced articles. Since then I have avoided doing it and switched to coconut oil. Luckily I love it!