• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Recommended brands of SAM-e and d-ribose? (on Freddd's protocol)

rosie26

Thanks @rosie26 I've ordered some Jarrow I think. Do you use 5 grams also?

Hi Lillybelle

I use 5 grams in the morning with breakfast and 5 grams in the evening straight after dinner. I would take it 3 times a day if it weren't so expensive. I use the powdered form of d ribose, Dr's Best D Ribose. But I have heard other brands are just as good too.

Freddd

@Freddd Thanks for going through that all again, my heart goes out to you. What a life!And what a recovery!It must be such a joy going for that 5 mile hike and being a "normal" person again.
You have such courage.
So you've been better for 8 years or so now? But still religiously stick to the protocal?
Can I ask where you get yr methylb to inject? I'm lucky to get 1 injection per 2 weeks here on script at my pharmacy. Doctor thinks injecting more than this waste of time:) As they do.:)

Hi Lillybelle,

My internist prescribes it. I walked into his office for the first time 2 days before I found my answer and went down to the local vitamin store and bought a bottle. Three weeks later I waked into his office for a follow-up on a slug of tests. Every person in the office who had seen me 3 weeks before could see a huge difference and commented on it. They could see I was a changed person in every way. The doctor said something like "these are clearly out of date now" about the test results and asked what happened. After watching me through more than a year of visible changes each month, and discussing what was going on he was quite willing to prescribe injections. Then I had to figure out why the injections only worked the first 10 days of the month (light). Everybody could see the difference in me with each increment. There was nothing I could say or do that exceeded them seeing me heal literally in front of their eyes. After a few years he said "I have never seen anybody come back from so far over the edge".

He was honest that there was absolutely nothing he knew about that could do what he had seen me do.

I was able to demonstrate the effectiveness of doing it the way I asked to. He was willing to be convinced by his own eyes. I used to make presentations at group medical conferences, but not about therapeutic things. It was about the management, insurance fraud, patterns of practice, and financial influences on patterns of practice and such.

I have to stick to the protocol because if I don't, the problems that caused FMS/CFS/CHF in the first place are all still there. I still can't use vegetable folates. I still have to have 30mg a day of injected MeCbl or I go downhill fast. Same as anybody else here. It's not like taking an antibiotic for 10 days and being healed. It's correcting for some of the body's specific nutritional needs. That doesn't change so the reason I got sick in the first place is still and always present.

I am enjoying my "bonus life". However, the need for the elixir of youth is next on the list. I don't know how to do that one.

Lillybelle

@Lillybelle, I am not familiar enough with SAM-E to recommend anything. Looking at your protocol though, if you can tolerate it I would suggest adding either gamma tocopherol, or a mixed vitamin E. Avoid alpha tocopherol. This will assist the function of CoQ and glutathione and the vitamin C. I am presuming you are avoiding lipoic acid due to the possible issue of metal mobilization, otherwise lipoic is a good idea too. In any case many of us have almost undetectable vitamin E, its at so low a level.

I started taking the Gamma E plus 2tabsof D-ribose yesterday. I have crashed like a pilotless plane today. Fatigue back to before I startedthe methylation and a bad gut reaction. Gut has been pretty good since I cut out gluten.
Could the Gamma E be causing a detox reaction? Ive just reada thread on D-ribose that said it can play havoc with yr blood glucose. And I was veggie juice fasting yesterday. But it also said it has a short life and I still feel awful today.

So have cut out the Ribose today. But kept in the gamma E @ 300 mg. Any advice?

Freddd

I started taking the Gamma E plus 2tabsof D-ribose yesterday. I have crashed like a pilotless plane today. Fatigue back to before I startedthe methylation and a bad gut reaction. Gut has been pretty good since I cut out gluten.
Could the Gamma E be causing a detox reaction? Ive just reada thread on D-ribose that said it can play havoc with yr blood glucose. And I was veggie juice fasting yesterday. But it also said it has a short life and I still feel awful today.

So have cut out the Ribose today. But kept in the gamma E @ 300 mg. Any advice?

Hi Lillybelle,

This is completely new in the way of reaction to me. D-ribose aids in recycling ATP and usually yields an increase in energy. I've not heard of anybody having any noticeable response to Vitamin E. So, very interesting.

Lillybelle

Hi Lillybelle,

This is completely new in the way of reaction to me. D-ribose aids in recycling ATP and usually yields an increase in energy. I've not heard of anybody having any noticeable response to Vitamin E. So, very interesting.
Hi @Freddd continued with the Gamma E felt better then next day and have since had D ribose again as well.
I did take the D ribose on a day that I was fasting and apparently its a sugar that can male you hypoglycaemic if fasting.
See:
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/d-ribose-can-it-make-you-feel-bad.23173/page-3
@ric
"The only side effects found, were taking stupidly large amount can cause upset stomach and lose bowel movement,(but this happens to anyone who consumes large amounts of sugar in a short space of time) the one exception was that hypoglycemic people, got worse, because D ribose has a small blood sugar lowering effect, which makes hypoglycemia worse. Which is why I’m suggesting anyone having a bad reaction to D ribose should consider getting their glucose levels properly checked using the right tests and reference ranges."

Guess I wont take it whole fasting anymore;)

whodathunkit

Freddd said:
I am enjoying my "bonus life". However, the need for the elixir of youth is next on the list. I don't know how to do that one.
Are you entirely sure we haven't found it yet, but it just needs to be tweaked into our regimens, in the correct amounts? ;)

Sherpa

Ex-workaholic adrenaline junkie
I have been greatly helped by d-ribose and tried at least a half dozen brands.

The very best is Swanson's:

http://www.swansonvitamins.com/swanson-ultra-pure-ribose-powder-300-grams-10-6-oz-pwdr

It has a clean taste and fine, non-clumping texture. 5g plastic scoop. It's better quality & value than pricier stuff like Jarrow.

Much of the currently available ribose on the market either smells (& tastes) like solvents or has an undesirable texture. I heard that the manufacturer has a new process that's cheaper but yields a less pleasing product.

Lou

Hi Lillybelle,

D-ribose tanks me as well. Completely. It's right up there with glutamates and phenylalanine for me to stay far away from. I think low BH4 is at heart of phenylalanine problem but have never figured out about d-ribose.

@Freddd - In one of your previous posts you said :
"I did find that it is important to avoid a group of things as they all trigger partial methylation block or methyltrap. So I avoid cyanide, glutathione and excessive nitrous oxide (and take prophylactic b12 injection before having it), whey, glutathione precursors, NAC, folic acid, folinic acid and too many vegetable folates, white flour products (folic acid) and milk products (different problem). I can eat butter and heavy cream but not half and half."

How does whey and milk products trigger methyltrap? Are you on a Gluten free diet or Casein free diet? Is it important for methylation? Please explain!

Personally, I had great unbelievable response to your protocol for a couple of months and then some kind of methyltrap set in. methyltrap symptoms have gone now after understanding that it came from degraded methylb12, but unfortunately the "honeymoon period" I enjoyed when I started your protocol(first 2-3 months) has never returned. :(