• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

I Can't Fix My Leaky Gut

I've tried every supplement it seems and probiotics that are supposed to heal leaky gut but I can only tolerate a really tiny dose of each one I try... I've treated parasites a few weeks ago but have not seen any improvements had CFS for 3 years and my gut issues were there since day one? Can I ever get my gut right again? Food allergies and intolerances are severe and I feel backed into a corner... Any advice?

optimist

The two things that has helped me the most is:
  • Digestion enzymes, especially when eating carbs
  • Turmeric with 95% curcumin. The curcumin is supposed to increase gall production, and I can handle fat and fatty food much better since I started taking 4-5 days ago.

Christopher

My digestive symptoms resolved once I removed myself from a house with hidden mold. Was not aware of it until I moved out. It did not smell.

Interesting... I became ill after 2 days at my new house but it was built in 2003 and has no signs of water damage but I have always wondered about it. Even when I first walk in I struggle a little more to breathe. Lord willing my wife and I will be moving out at the end of August.

It was a foreclosed home when we got it though. Did you have food allergies etc? @Christopher

Christopher

Interesting... I became ill after 2 days at my new house but it was built in 2003 and has no signs of water damage but I have always wondered about it. Even when I first walk in I struggle a little more to breathe. Lord willing my wife and I will be moving out at the end of August.

It was a foreclosed home when we got it though. Did you have food allergies etc? @Christopher

No. I became ill the third day after moving into a new home. I stayed there for about a year while my health deteriorated and I started having suicidal thoughts by the end of my stay there.

The day after I moved out, my symptoms immediately started abating. I had no idea there was mold in that house until after I moved out. There was no visual or olfactory evidence until the wall was taken down.

I had no idea mold could have that severe an effect on anyone. All interventions failed while I was there. I believe it was the root cause of my illness and the other stuff was downstream. I would never have known mold was present unless my cousin had not done remodeling in the basement. It was a huge colony apparently. The man who lives there now I've heard says he hears ghosts. Whatever is there is very neurologically toxic.

I am still dealing with mold unfortunately as a new colony grew in the house I recovered in.

I developed a gluten intolerance I'm assuming once this new colony formed and started affecting me. I'm unfortunately fairly certain there's no way to fix the body without removing yourself from the exposure.

Last edited:

Hip

@Soccermanjb
When you say you cannot fix your leaky gut, have you had your gut leakiness measured (for example by the lactulose-mannitol intestinal permeability test)?

No I haven't had it tested or measured.

I have been out of my house for even three months and didn't improve...

Christopher

No I haven't had it tested or measured.

I have been out of my house for even three months and didn't improve...

OK. All I can give you is my experience. It's possible the house you moved into had a colony as well. It is frankly an overwhelming subject even for me. Just keep it in mind as a possible factor.

Lord willing we will see improvement when I move out though. I'm not giving up hope on that. I'm always more bloated at home then my gut accelerates elsewhere... So crazy!

optimist

Hope that will work for you @Soccermanjb! I lived 3.5 years in a house where the mould was really thick... wasn't aware that it was so dangerous then, but it could have contributed to where I am today... really don't know! Anyways, one of the nations biggest newspapers used it as an example of a mouldy house in an article they wrote about mould on houses :/

ahmo

Diet? GAPS recommends not only gluten and dairy-free, but eliminating all starches for a period to allow healing and reduce the substances that can move through the porous gut.

acer2000

Could be any number of issues. What are your main symptoms and when do they occur? What triggers them?

end

So leaky gut may not be your problem.

What are the gut symptoms you have that you are trying to fix?

@Hip is right, you need to get IP tested. My lactulose/mannitol pathology x3 are the worst my doctor has ever seen. But I also have 2+ Positive via Dr Chia's VP1 EV test. So two tests if you have Gut issues associated with your CFS/ME most should consider doing...

Hi @Christopher sad to hear you have had to deal with mold issues. I could never believe how bad mold is for your health, until going through a near identical situation as you. There are reports that the most severely effected buildings by mold, are NOT visible...very scary

Jarod

Easy remedy for stomach pain and GI issues for me was to Quit caffine, and also quit wheat for a few months.

Easier said than done, and takes huge discipline.

Digestive ezymes and ox bile salts may be worth a shot too if you got digestive issues.