• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Time of day for exercise... Does it matter for you?

BadBadBear

I am just starting to be able to exercise intermittently after starting T3 med. a few months ago. I like to ride my bike in the evening, but it's so hot now that I've been going in the morning, and it seems like it contributes to a small afternoon crash. Plus I can feel PEM creeping on after 3 days of short rides (time for a break, I hate to say).

So if you are able to exercise, does it matter what time of day? Do you crash if you try to exercise out of your body's chose daily rhythm?

Mij

I am just starting to be able to exercise intermittently after starting T3 med. a few months ago. I like to ride my bike in the evening, but it's so hot now that I've been going in the morning, and it seems like it contributes to a small afternoon crash. Plus I can feel PEM creeping on after 3 days of short rides (time for a break, I hate to say).

So if you are able to exercise, does it matter what time of day? Do you crash if you try to exercise out of your body's chose daily rhythm?

I was just sharing my own personal experiences regarding exercise/activities on another thread. I have also reached a level in the last few years where I able to power walk without experiencing PEM if I stay within my energy envelope. This is what you have to determine for yourself and it can take a while to figure out how much you can do without experiencing PEM. A this point it appears as though you need to cut back if you're experiencing PEM. It's hard to accept I know, but this is the hard reality of this illness. It will not benefit you long term, it will only make you worse off. I learned this the hard way many years ago.

The most important thing is that you have to give yourself 2-3 full day breaks/ from riding your bike or ride for shorter periods to see how you feel after. You can't use up all your reserves or push yourself. This is counter productive and although you may feel good psychologically whilst your riding it will make you worse off in the end. I can't stress this enough.

Many members here feel better in cooler temps and evenings. I am one of them. I think the heat raises our HR. A lot of us have some form of OI which I am currently looking into

1. I can only power walk in the evenings, in cooler temperatures and when I don't have to exert myself the next day, this includes cognitive functions and other daily activities such as preparing food, cleaning, socializing a little, grocery shopping, hair appointments, reading etc. I never power walk 2 days in a row, I take breaks in between and sometime skip weeks or just do 20-30 mins because I feel better doing so.with no PEM. I don't exercise during the summer months at all.

Perhaps you can try an activity like walking to keep some level of fitness.

Last edited:

soxfan

I live in NC and it is just too humid to walk during the day so I walk when the sun starts to go down. All other times of the year I walk in the mornings just because usually by dinner I have nothing left...not even to walk.

I just bought a bike and will be alternating doing that and walking. I have never had PEM from any type of physical exercise or activity...mine all comes from mental activity...just the way it is for me.

The only way that I ever have energy to exercise is if I do it first thing in the morning. Later in the day I never have the energy. Doing it early can contribute to a crash, but my day is usually winding down by the point that I hit that stage. If the mornings I have to watch how hard I exercise, and I sometimes push myself harder when I have time to recover the next day. I think it is really whatever works for your schedule and body.

BadBadBear

@Mij, yeah, I rode a bit too much last month and had almost week long energy crash - I got on an old trail that I used to ride, and my excitement took me further than my mitochondria could pay for... I definitely need to mind the idea of taking several days off.

I like evening exercise because then I can just come in and hit the couch. I have wondered, though, if evening exercise is unhelpful for my cortisol cycle, which is a bit too low during the day and a bit too high at night?

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I can do anaerobic exercise now (specifically pilates with machines--lying down!). My experience is that afternoon or evening exercise will keep me awake--cortisol? So, for me, the earlier the better. The heat is a big factor now though (in the US) for anything outdoors.

Sushi

Mij

@Mij, yeah, I rode a bit too much last month and had almost week long energy crash - I got on an old trail that I used to ride, and my excitement took me further than my mitochondria could pay for... I definitely need to mind the idea of taking several days off.

I like evening exercise because then I can just come in and hit the couch. I have wondered, though, if evening exercise is unhelpful for my cortisol cycle, which is a bit too low during the day and a bit too high at night?

For sure, it's very easy to just keep going. Kind of makes us feel normal again for a short time, doesn't it?

Do you generally have good sleep? I know a lot with ME need sleep meds in order to fall asleep and get restorative sleep. If the evening bike rides are affecting your quality of sleep then I don't think that's good. I generally don't have sleep issues but I try not to go out past 7pm to give my adrenals a chance to calm down before bedtime.

place

Be Strong!
If I do it in the morning I am tired all day. I like to exercise anywhere from 3:30 to very latest 5:30. Basically when my day is done. Also, there are days I I plan to exercise (and would if I the morning) but don't because by the afternoon rolls around, I could be sick and should not push my self. If I did it in the morning I find out shortly after that I was not up to par and end up going home to the sofa. Does this make sense?

BadBadBear

For sure, it's very easy to just keep going. Kind of makes us feel normal again for a short time, doesn't it?

Do you generally have good sleep? I know a lot with ME need sleep meds in order to fall asleep and get restorative sleep. If the evening bike rides are affecting your quality of sleep then I don't think that's good. I generally don't have sleep issues but I try not to go out past 7pm to give my adrenals a chance to calm down before bedtime.

Oh yeah, I got to pedaling and it felt GREAT! :) I do generally go to sleep OK, just don't sleep as restfully as I'd like.

@place, yes, I also like to it at end of day with any left over energy for the same reasons as you. It leaves some gas in the tank for the day's duties.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
I am just starting to be able to exercise intermittently after starting T3 med. a few months ago.
Do you have high reverse T3 as well as low free T3? Is so, your body is converting a lot of it's T4 to RT3 instead of FT3. While there are a number of 'causes' for this, they come down to the body wanting to conserve energy.

There are a few people that think supplemental T3 should not be used - that if your metabolism is that messed up you should find out why and fix it. Since the finding out why is complex, I am taking T3. I am concerned about your exercising while you are on T3, since the T3 is basically masking the underlying problem. (This is a personal opinion based on no medical background.)

Little Bluestem

If the mornings I have to watch how hard I exercise, and I sometimes push myself harder when I have time to recover the next day.
Pushing yourself and then recovering the next day is often referred to as the “push/crash cycle”. Most people will not improve while doing this.

BadBadBear

@Little Bluestem, I did have high RT3, low FT3, normal FT4. I have had tons and tons of tests done, and no finding that explains why... However, I think I've had it for a very long time - I lived with an extremely physically abusive parent as a kid, and I used to go into hibernation-like phases then (and even the abusive parent had bunches of medical tests done on me with no finding of why I was so tired and slept so much - actually one of the times she beat me up the worst was over the cost of a medical test). I would expect there is HPA axis dysregulation from when I was a tiny baby from the abuse situation...

I rested for 3 days, and will probably take a short ride this morning.

Little Bluestem

@BadBadBear, I am so sorry to hear about your abuse as a child. I am now also wondering why you chose that particular user name. If it has any personal connotation I hope you will rethink it.

Do keep your morning ride short. It is best to find a level of activity that you can maintain every day. If you have not seen them, you might find the threads on anaerobic thresh hold and heart rate monitoring helpful.

ukxmrv

I can't exercise at all but I time my exertion (i.e. small amount of housework, cooking, bathing, medical appointments etc) for the afternoon/evening. If I do these in the morning I crash very badly and it takes about a week to recover (from a medical appointment as an example).

I'm assuming that this is cortisol related as mine is low in the mornings. My best time for activity is at night and this doesn't have any impact on my sleep.

Is there any reason you need to ride your bike? The times I have been well enough to think of exercise have always ended in failure so I have made a decision not to ever do this again. I will wait to see if I ever recovery from this disease and not carry out strenuous exercise again. If I start to exercise again and crash I'll stop exercising.

BadBadBear

@Little Bluestem, thank you for your thoughtful reply. Yes, I probably did pick BadBadBear for 'reasons'. I hadn't thought of it before, interesting that you put it together. I am sticking with the morning rides, and now I'm driving a short ways to avoid a few hills, and making myself take more rest days. It seems to be helping.

@ukxmrv, thank you also for your thoughts on this. I have been thinking about your question - is there any reason I need to ride my bike? First and foremost, the thought that came to my mind yesterday when I was getting ready for a ride is that it makes me happy to ride. :) That is the over-arching reason, above all else. As an adjunct, any exercise helps with my insulin resistance... If I don't move much, my sugars don't go that high, but definitely the sugar just sits in my blood stream and causes trouble (polyuria, tired legs just walking around the house, etc.). If I exercise after a meal, it seems that all the sugar gets sucked into my muscle, and I think that helps me overall with everything - more energy for healing, digestion, mood, etc.

I have definitely had long periods of not being able to do anything, but as I start to get a little better, I want to make the most of it. So thanks again everyone for the thoughts!!

Last edited:

BadBadBear

Just a small update. I have been increasing my ride distance slowly, and I started wearing my HRM & trying to stay under AT at all times. It seems my pulse tends to be lower earlier in the day.

I also find that if I keep a slow cadence and keep my heart rate low - even if it means pacing with the turtles at times - I am not having much PEM. I am also not nearly as exhausted after the ride - even a long one - if I stay under AT.

Knocking on wood as I write this, of course. :)

drob31

I would think that, logically, the best time to do exersize would be as close to your peak cortisol as possible, so if you do it over time, you would train your body to raise your cortisol levels at the right time.

This is assuming you have low morning cortisol. I guess if you had low afternoon cortisol, it would be better to do it then.