• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

High Dose Niacinamide and Methylation

acrosstheveil

I have been doing a lot of research about lyme and niacinamide in doses of 3g per day has been shown to be extremely effective for treatment. Many people are raving about it and I would like to try it. I am concerned about how this relates to methylation because I know niacin can possibly mop up methyl groups. How much niacinamide does it to take to really effect the methylation cycle? Would I need to take additional methyl donors such as TMG to compensate for the niacinamide?

I have been doing a lot of research about lyme and niacinamide in doses of 3g per day has been shown to be extremely effective for treatment. Many people are raving about it and I would like to try it. I am concerned about how this relates to methylation because I know niacin can possibly mop up methyl groups. How much niacinamide does it to take to really effect the methylation cycle? Would I need to take additional methyl donors such as TMG to compensate for the niacinamide?

@acrosstheveil Sorry, don't have your answer. But would appreciate any web links you have to discussions on this method. Blessings to you!

acrosstheveil

apparently it was klinghardt who first recommended it. I also had my own personal LLMD several years ago tell me it was effective for lyme.

http://lymeinchronicillness.com/tag/niacinamide-lyme-disease/
http://www.klinghardtacademy.com/images/stories/Lyme_Disease/treatinglymedisease.pdf

For the psychiatric presentations of Lyme disease Dr.
Klinghardt uses large doses of Niacin (not niacinamide and
no-flush niacin). 3-6 grams in 3-4 divided doses shows results.
It appears that Niacin has tremendous antibiotic potential
against all types of Borrelia

klinghardt appears to prefer niacin over niacinamide but I have read a study where they found niacinamide to be just as effective as niacin against borrelia. I'm still looking for the link but haven't been able to find it yet.

Last edited:

Ema

I've been using niacinamide for infection treatment but only so far in doses of about 1500-2000 mg/day.

I do take mB12, up to 5000 mcg a day and methylfolate as well. I haven't noticed any signs of undermethylation but I too have been concerned about the possibility. I'll be interested to hear about any other experiences as well.

acrosstheveil

also found a quote from a member named Abha on our board:

Hi Emma/All,
Further to earlier posting..I should have mentioned I used niacinamide.
In the Youtube video Dr Mercola interviews Dr Dietrich Klinghardt about Lyme disease.After about 1 hr and 2mins they discuss Niacin/niacinamide in relation to Insulin resistance/Lyme disease/and other diseases(osteoarthritis etc).Dr Klinghardt states that niacin and niacinamide have the same antimicrobial activity.You can listen to that yourself by going direct to the point 1 hr 2 mins of the video.Then listen for the next 10 mins or so.Hopefully this has made it clearer!

it appears klinghardt changes his stance to say that niacinamide is just as effective as niacin in the treatment of lyme.

Last edited:
In the interview print out at
http://mercola.fileburst.com/PDF/Ex...ts/InterviewDietrichKlinghardtLymeDisease.pdf

DK: [Dr. Kinghardt]
I mentioned that in one of my talks with you years ago that niacin has been found to be a
very, very effective antibiotic against Lyme disease so there is a link.Niacinamide has the
same antimicrobial activity as niacin has.

DM:
But they’re different, niacin and niacinamide because the niacin will give you the flush and
niacinamide won’t.

DK:
Yeah. But the antimicrobial effect has been shown to be identical whether you use niacin
or niacinamide. Nobody knows really how that works but they did culture experiments and
both have the same.

Blessings to you!

Freddd

Hi Acrosstheveil,

Based on personal experience and reports by many folks in a specific situation, quantities of b1 > 20mg, b2 > 30-40mg and/or b3 (niacin) > 100mg caused virtually insatiable need for L-methylfolate and potassium and decreased healing (suppressed methylation maybe?) and would cause episodes of paradoxical folate deficiency and all sorts of low potassium spasms and heart palpitations. MeCbl and AdoCbl and l-methylfolate and LCF make these vitamins far more effective and it is easy to get too much.