• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Docs familiar with MTHFR protocol or Simplified Methylation Protocol from Rich Van Konynenburg?

Hello,

In another posting, I mentioned that I am advocating for my daughter who has CFS, FM, POTs and IBS. She was tested for 2 genetic variations of MTHFR and was found to be compound heterozygous for both A1298C and C677T.

I am wondering if anyone knows of any docs that actually have experience in treating someone (e.g. the proper dosing of supplements) with such genetic polymorphisms. I am in the Philadelphia, PA area but could consider New Jersey, New York, Maryland and Washington, DC - i.e. the general mid-Atlantic area.

I am aware Dr. Ben Lynch has a list of those docs who have been attended his training program, but I don't know any of those folks. Ideally, I'd prefer a medical doc who takes insurance, but we've already been to an ND (who our insurance provider doesn't recognize), so I assume this will be the case again.

I have communicated with a few genetics labs at hospitals, but for the most part, they indicated that they do more "traditional" genetic testing associated with medical disorders, and they only test MTHFR mutations when high levels of homocysteine are involved.

I am also aware of the late, Rich Van Konynenburg's Simplified Methylation Protocol, but I would certainly want to work in conjunction with a physician, per his own recommendations on the subject.

So, any advice on actually finding appropriate resources would be extremely helpful.

Thank you very much in advance for your recommendations and advice.

Scotty81

Helen

Hi Scotty81,
Dr. Neil Nathan worked with Rich Van Konynenburg and they published a clinical study together. Dr. Nathan has written an very good book with a chapter on methylation a.o. I wouldn´t hesitate consulting him, but don´t know the costs for it./ Best

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I don't know anyone in your area but I found my NP, who I love, by googling Methylation and then my city. It was on her website. She also gets ME so I hit the jackpot with her.

Helen,

Thanks for the reply. I had heard of him, but didn't know he had a book. I called his office and am waiting for a reply.

Regards,
Scotty81

Helen