• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Methylation, ACE Inhibitors & potassium

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
Ok, so just found out I have high BP so my doc is putting me on Ace inhibitors. Those increase potassium.

So how does that work with methylation? I obviously can't supplement with potassium anymore, how does it work with potassium containing foods?

Thanks.

Critterina

Think of it as you don't "need" to take potassium any more, at least that's what you would expect. Have you discussed it with your doctor? And why not have it checked after a few months just to see where your potassium levels are? :)

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
That's what I was thinking. I have an appt with my NP friday so I'll talk to her about it. The guy who is giving me the ACE had a list of everything I was taking so you'd think he would have noticed.

Now I have tons of potassium and coconut water. More stuff to toss out.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
I would not be too quick to throw them out. The ace inhibitors may not increase potassium as much as methylation decreases it. Did the doctor who prescribed it know that you are doing methylation treatment? If so, does s/he understand methylation treatment?

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I forgot methylation lowers it.

Not gonna toss it. It was a figure of speech due to my frustration. I never throw anything out. And I think this was super cheap.

The doc was new for me. He saw what I was taking but I did not discuss methylation Becuase I doubt he knew about it.

I have an appt with my NP tomorrow so will discuss with her. She'll know. He didn't discuss bloodwork with me but must do it. But I'd rather not be on them. I'm on a beta blocker at night only so not sure why he didn't give me a long acting one. I'll bring it up when I see him I. 3 months and I'm better educated on this stuff. BP stuff

Thanks

Freddd

Low potassium can cause high blood pressure. CoQ10 with the active b12s and mfolate can cause high blood pressure. Low potassium maintained can put a person in the ER or morgue. Be VERY careful. Cutting back a lot on potassium could kill you, literally, if the need continues. The potassium problems appears to be one of the characteristics of our symptoms cohort.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
My blood pressure was high long before I started methylation. I only take 30 mgs of coq10 that comes with my Red Yeast Rice.

I have an NP who is over seeing my methylation and she knows everything that is going on with me and per her advice I have not cut back on the potassium since I am taking an extremely low dose of the ACE inhibitor.

Please don't scare me with information without knowing the entire situation.

Freddd

My blood pressure was high long before I started methylation. I only take 30 mgs of coq10 that comes with my Red Yeast Rice.

I have an NP who is over seeing my methylation and she knows everything that is going on with me and per her advice I have not cut back on the potassium since I am taking an extremely low dose of the ACE inhibitor.

Please don't scare me with information without knowing the entire situation.

I'm not trying to scare you. I'm just letting you know of some of the possibilities, learned the hard way. I didn't know them and nobody warned me about them. I don't know your whole situation as you say, and doing so is highly unlikely and perhaps you didn't know at least some of those things I mentioned. It's you who has to decide if they apply to you. There are any number of fear mongers but I am not one of them.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I appreciate your concern but like I said I have an NP who knows methylation. Also, I didn't understand a word you said because my cognitive functioning on a scale of 1-10 is about 1.