• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Severe Muscle Tension/Cramping all over the body including face/ eyes

Avengers26

I have been at my wit's end to figure out what's causing my severe muscle tension / cramping in the whole body including the pelvic region, face, eyes. I also sometimes get what feels like the MS "Hug" in my abdomen. It feels like, for lack of a better word, "a sustained muscle spasm". But MRI's & the EMG/NCV etc. came out normal & MS/other neurological disorders were ruled out.

I am taking plenty of electrolytes incl. magnesium/potassium. I am unable to tolerate more than 400mg Magnesium in the day even though i have tried several different forms. Any more makes me too fatigued & spaced out to function. I also do epsom salt baths.

What else can I do or what possibly might be causing it? I don't have any diagnosis yet though i do have low blood sugar.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I have a "tight band" usually right under my boobs. Sometimes it is higher or lower. Some meds (seroquel) make it worse.

I've taken anti-inflammatories but they did nothing. I just tolerate it and think it has something to do with my viruses since starting antivirals makes it worse.

Some times there are no answers to things.

SOC

I have been at my wit's end to figure out what's causing my severe muscle tension / cramping in the whole body including the pelvic region, face, eyes. I also sometimes get what feels like the MS "Hug" in my abdomen. It feels like, for lack of a better word, "a sustained muscle spasm". But MRI's & the EMG/NCV etc. came out normal & MS/other neurological disorders were ruled out.

I am taking plenty of electrolytes incl. magnesium/potassium. I am unable to tolerate more than 400mg Magnesium in the day even though i have tried several different forms. Any more makes me too fatigued & spaced out to function. I also do epsom salt baths.

What else can I do or what possibly might be causing it? I don't have any diagnosis yet though i do have low blood sugar.
Have you had your Mg levels tested? You still might not be getting enough. If testing shows low magnesium, your doc might be willing to give you Mg injections if you can't tolerate more by mouth.

Kati

Patient in training
Other diagnosis should be investigated, such as dystonia. It may not be a magnesium issue at all.

Best wishes.

Avengers26

Hi Helen, I don't know. I need more exhaustive testing & am trying to find myself a good doctor.

Avengers26

Hi Kati, I don't have any involuntary movements or abnormal postures.
Hi SOc, I had both serum/RBC magnesium tested. Both came normal.

lansbergen

Hi @lansbergen , Can you point me to where can i find the article. Also, you say you had it. Is it gone & what worked for you?

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1567724913002390

Metabolic features of the cell danger response.

It is much less now and only occurs during flareups downstream of the places where the infection/inflammation is active.

I use a immunemodulator which is also a superoxide scavenger. When I started it I did not know superoxide is a defence mechanisme and there is a problem with SOD2 in the infection I suspect.

Martial

Hi Kati, I don't have any involuntary movements or abnormal postures.
Hi SOc, I had both serum/RBC magnesium tested. Both came normal.

It could be lyme which systematically is indistingusible from ME/CFS. I have the same, there are other possible things too but it is SUPER common with chronic lyme unlike the more specific or rarer conditions, given you have normal emg and neurological tests. I would just look into getting a test done by a Lyme Literate Doctor "LLMD" and only test through IgeneX labs, everything else will not be accurate or sensitive enough to catch the various strains and possible co infections that could be going on.

Do try and get a topical magnesium though, if it is from that kind of imbalance the amount of magnesium you would require would not be possible orally. It isn't a mega dose by any means but magnesium causes major digestive issues going above even 400mg a day. Most people seem to report a lot of benefit at 1000mg, no need to ever go higher then that though. Always discuss with your doctor before starting or trying anything new, I am not a medical practitioner and am not condoning medical advice, just a friendly suggestion.

Edit* Do look into potassium as well, low intra cellular potassium and magnesium are hand in hand, side effects also very similar to both. Most of it will show up as low normal on blood tests as well, something to possibly investigate.

Avengers26

Hi lansbergen, thanks for the article. Wil check it out.
Hi martial, I had the western blot done but will ask for the Igenex test for lyme. I do take plenty of potassium & do epsom salt baths.

Avengers26

Hi @lansbergen I finally read the article. It was very interesting. Too bad, it has some broad ideas on treatment but nothing too specific. Please share here or via PM what steps helped you the most including any supplements and the immune modulator you mentioned above.

I recently started low doses of Larch Arabinogalactan. It's strong stuff & too early to say, but overall, I am positive about it. I also ordered chitin- glucan & will try it in the future. Thanks to vegas & ripley. Thanks again for that sciencedirect link.

JAH

I really appreciate this thread as I have been going through a terrible period of severe illness, including muscle spasming, shaking, tremor. I'm not sure what is going on, but I did have an abnormal EMG (neuropathy, multiple radiculopathies), abnormal tilt table (POTs diagnosis) and platform balance test. One treatment that has been helpful specifically for the spasms is the drug Baclofen. It does not prevent the spasming, but before I had the drug, I could have severe spasming on and off for hours. (Most strongly in my abdomen) The Baclofen tamps it down, and the "episodes" last one to two hours and are not as severe.

Thanks @lansbergen for the science direct article. I found the info about heme to be interesting, I did have elevated levels of porphyrins, and docs thought I could have porphyria. I'm not sure if CDR implies low levels of porphyrins..."Like NO, CO is a potent inhibitor of mitochondrial complex IV. In non-erythroid cells, heme is a feedback inhibitor of porphyrin biosynthesis"

I'm taking anti virals, and increasing the dose caused some very bad episodes of shaking, tremor, like all muscles in my body were contracting.

Good luck in figuring things out and post if you do...JAH

DeGenesis

I find taking an rx muscle relaxant like cyclobenzaprine with anticholinergic properties chills my muscles out.

EDIT: Personal experience.

Last edited:

lansbergen

Have you tried taking an rx muscle relaxant on a temporary basis. Something with anticholinergic properties like cyclobenzaprine should put your muscles in the chill zone.

I do the opposite. I stimulate the A7 nicotine system and that helped a lot.