• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Sleep regime causing bradycardia

xchocoholic

Rats. It suddenly dawned on my last night after taking my Klonopin, melatonin and 5htp to check my hr and bp. Bp 90/56 And Hr = err.

Google said possible side effects from klonopin, 5htp and melatonin are bradycardia.

I checked because I wasn't just feeling sleepy. I felt weak. Maybe this just means I need less. I'm only taking .125 mg klonopin, appr.3 mg melatonin and appr 10 mg 5htp.

Oh I had magnesium citrate, natural calm, too but just a little.

Catch 22. I need these in order to sleep. Bummer. The upside is knowing now that these are causing bradycardia.

Anyone else ? X

Gingergrrl

@xchocoholic I was wondering if you ever solved this and still having bradycardia? I am over in the tachycardia camp LOL but am interested in both sides of the coin. What does your doctor suggest? Hope this issue has gotten better.

xchocoholic

@xchocoholic I was wondering if you ever solved this and still having bradycardia? I am over in the tachycardia camp LOL but am interested in both sides of the coin. What does your doctor suggest? Hope this issue has gotten better.

I seem to have figured this out. Kow. I started staggering the meds and supplements in my bedtime regime so they don't all affect me at once.

So instead of taking these all at once right before bedtime I take them over a 1-2 hour period.

Hope you get your tachy figured out. I hardly ever get tachy. The only things that I''ve found helpful were to avoid certain chemicals, gf rice chex nails me, and homemade bone broth.

Tc .. x

Gingergrrl

Hope you get your tachy figured out. I hardly ever get tachy. The only things that I''ve found helpful were to avoid certain chemicals, gf rice chex nails me, and homemade bone broth.

Tc .. x

@xchocoholic Do you mean that homemade bone broth gave you tachycardia or that it helped? Just wanted to make sure I understood!

xchocoholic

Right at this moment I can't remember if I just felt like my heart was pounding so hard that it was going to explode or I actually used my bp hr monitor to check it.

When I read your question, it dawned on me that I'm not sure if a pounding heart really means a hr is up. Or if the heart can pound without an increase in hr.

But homemade bone broths helped the pounding.

I'm exhausted so I can't think of the exact term but the broth needs to be the consistency of jello when it has cooled down. Otherwise it won't help.

I remember the pounding stopping after drinking this but I had to do it a few times.

Tc .. x

Gingergrrl

Right at this moment I can't remember if I just felt like my heart was pounding so hard that it was going to explode or I actually used my bp hr monitor to check it.

When I read your question, it dawned on me that I'm not sure if a pounding heart really means a hr is up. Or if the heart can pound without an increase in hr.

But homemade bone broths helped the pounding.

I'm exhausted so I can't think of the exact term but the broth needs to be the consistency of jello when it has cooled down. Otherwise it won't help.

I remember the pounding stopping after drinking this but I had to do it a few times.

Tc .. x

@xchocoholic Thanks and that is what I thought you meant.