• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Mast Cells and TINNITUS

acrosstheveil

What causes this disorder and how can we fix it? I am getting severe tinnitus triggered by foods I have eaten all my life. More and more things trigger neural inflammation every day. My mouth and hands become numb and I feel highly anxious. I am unable to sleep, highly irritable, and feel crazy! I have been gobbling antihistamines by the truckload with no help. High dose b12 helps for like 5 minutes and then the ringing is back! What is this?!?

ahmo

@acrosstheveil I mentioned adrenals on your other active thread. Mast cells and tinnitus are both related to adrenal stress. As far as I've found the best strategy for easing adrenal stress is coffee enemas. This clears the liver, which also alleviates stress on the adrenals. My tinnitus has now become a barometer of my adrenal stress. When there's hissing, and my irritability returns, I know it's time for coffee enemas to clear the system. An uncongested liver will also handle the histamine load better.

Also, I've just discovered that my adrenals/tinnitus are v reactive to other foods I'd never known were problematic See the linked site for autoimmune stimulating foods.:(

I've posted my CE experience here:
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?entries/my-detox-story-coffee-enemas.1616/
[url]http://aiplifestyle.com/what-is-autoimmune-protocol-diet/
[/URL]

Last edited:

acrosstheveil

ive been on adrenal glandulars and pantethine with little improvement for the adrenals. I have never done coffee enemas and will consider it. I have never done an enema before. :nervous: any other good things for the adrenals?

ahmo

@acrosstheveil I used adrenal glandulars for 2 years, starting from a point when I was at my worst. They were a core part of my life support system, along w/ hypothalamus, pituitary. When I got to the end of a massive detox in May, I no longer needed the glandulars.

I know of no better way to support adrenals than by treating my liver so that it’s not congested, and can thus relieve the toxic burden on adrenals. My acupuncturist used to always treat my spleen, saying my liver was too sensitive. Similarly here, I treat the liver to affect my adrenals. I also use herb chanca piedra to support liver, kidneys.

I 'm very beholden to Dietrich Klinghardt and his detox protocol. I initially chose CEs from the starting point of constipation and build-up of bacteria. Over the months I used them, I appreciated more and more the power of them for liver cleansing. Even if you chose something like EDTA or DMPS for metal detox, this is a way to get the by-products out of the body. Eventually I began to also look forward to this time when I could listen to lectures, read, have a bit of respite from the outside world:whistle: You'll find links to CE info in the earlier link I gave to my blog post.

http://www.drlwilson.com/articles/adrenal_burnout.htm
ADRENAL BURNOUT SYNDROME by Lawrence Wilson, MD

Toxic metals and chemicals often play a large role in adrenal burnout. Everyone is exposed to thousands of chemicals in the air, the water and the food. Other sources are dental materials and skin contact with chemicals. Over-the-counter and prescribed medications add to the body’s toxic load. Most people do not realize that antibiotics and many other drugs accumulate to some extent in the liver and other organs.

Toxins may also be generated within the body due to impaired digestion. When food is not properly digested, it either ferments or rots in the intestines, producing many harmful substances that are absorbed into the body.

A healthy body has the ability to eliminate many toxins on a daily basis. However, as adrenal weakness develops, the body’s ability to eliminate all toxins decreases. This produces a vicious cycle in which weaker adrenals impairs the elimination of all poisons, which then further weakens the adrenals.

...Myth # 17. One can recover from burnout in a matter of months. It takes at least two years and often longer. Layers of toxins, infections and other adaptations and compensations must be undone. Each adaptation uses up energy so that when one begins correction, there is little energy to work with. This slows progress and is one reason correction takes several years.

Eliminating toxins that have become integral parts of the organs and glands also takes time, like rebuilding a house. Also, most people must replenish twenty or thirty trace minerals. This takes time, even if one does all the correct procedures to restore one’s health.

If one truly recovers in a few months, a person was not in severe burnout. However, often, a small recovery can feel like a cure when it is not. As an analogy, those in burnout need an overhaul, not a tune up. One needs to commit to doing whatever it takes and devoting a few years to healing. This needs to become one’s primary occupation or job for a while, allowing all other interests and activities to become secondary to the commitment to healing.

..5. A detoxification protocol is helpful, though perhaps not always needed. This involves the use of a near infrared sauna and perhaps coffee enemas or colonic irrigation. This is included with all nutritional balancing programs

He ends his page with: As I began to understand the condition better, I made many changes in my diet, lifestyle and most critically, my thinking. I also forced myself to do coffee enemas, to walk every day, use a sauna, and to meditate daily, although I did not enjoy doing any these things, at first.

end

@acrosstheveil @ahmo

Have you guys run into any information regarding Tinnitus after a H.Pylori protocol?

It is driving a friend of mine crazy(he also has CFS/ME)

Last edited:
my tinnitus gets worse due to certain foods/supplements/meds as well, the same things that make other symptoms worse (including pain, sleep, and the wired mind/feeling...). I have found nothing that helps me with this increase in tinnitus, cept time to decay/avoidance of triggers.

ahmo

I haven't gone deeply into tinnitus. When I learned within the last year that there was an adrenal link, it solved another of the mysteries of my health/life. I had a major detox elimination in May. The build-up and release during and after were quite clearly directly involving my adrenals. After this clearing my trinity of irritability, agitation, and low threshold for frustration had transformed. I'd sought to eliminate my reactivity and these traits for most of my adult life, through all manner of therapies. At the same time my dry skin and mast cell symptoms resolved, and I no longer cringed in the cool air after showers. All these indicated a major shift in my adrenal health. And, I woke up for the first time since ME/CFS w/ quiet in my ears.

Over the weeks since then I've discovered that a return of mild hisss occurs when eating gluten cross-reactive foods, and autoimmune stimulating foods, and when I've tried increasing my thyroid medication. My adrenals clearly cannot handle additional thyroid. And clearing them by decongesting my liver has disappeared the hiss. I'm hoping low dose naltrexone helps me w/ the autoimmune antibodies, takes a load off adrenals/liver. Possibly the H Pylori protocol has dumped stuff into the liver that needs clearing.

I just put 'causes of tinnitus' into search engine, and there are many. The wikipedia is as good a list as any. And when I searched 'adrenals + tinnitus' I found
http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/2025234
Why do my ears ring w/ adrenal fatigue?

Ear ringing, or tinnitus, is one of many symptoms associated with adrenal fatigue, according to Dr. James L. Wilson, author of "Adrenal Fatigue: The 21st Century Stress Syndrome." A physiological connection may exist between decreased adrenal function and abnormal ear function.

...Porth offers a possible physiological explanation for a connection between decreased adrenal function and ear ringing, or subjective tinnitus. Mineralocortocoids, steroid hormones produced in the adrenal glands, maintain a proper balance of sodium, potassium and water in the body; and one of the causes of subjective tinnitus is improper balance of ionic minerals.

Interesting, seems to be 2 different adrenal experts, Lawrence Wilson, who I quoted in my earlier post, and James L Wilson, quoted here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinnitus
http://blog.adrenalfatigue.org/ James L Wilson,

Last edited:

acrosstheveil

i may try the coffee enemas. I am a bit hesitant because I believe my liver is in the best shape it has been in years. I take upwards of 12 tbsp chlorella/spirulina a day and have massively detoxed because of it. THat coupled with high dose iodine has really cleared me out. Who knows though. Maybe I need the coffee enemas. Is there a specific coffee I should be using to do it? special way to brew it? like I said, never done an enema before so I don't want to mess it up.... :wide-eyed:

acrosstheveil

don't think i have hashimotos. although, with all the autoimmune stuff that's been going on lately, it wouldn't surprise me.

acrosstheveil

my diet is severely limited. it seems like all i eat is grass fed chicken, coconut oil, and a few veggies.... :depressed::meh:

end

@ahmo

I think your onto something here because(only recently)he has been very reactive to high dose sodium chloride/salt...

"...Porth offers a possible physiological explanation for a connection between decreased adrenal function and ear ringing, or subjective tinnitus. Mineralocortocoids, steroid hormones produced in the adrenal glands, maintain a proper balance of sodium, potassium and water in the body; and one of the causes of subjective tinnitus is improper balance of ionic minerals."

Does this mean it puts the adrenals under even more stress? --> "Possibly the H Pylori protocol has dumped stuff into the liver that needs clearing."

ahmo

@end
he has been very reactive to high dose sodium chloride/salt...Does this mean it puts the adrenals under even more stress?

Certainly possible salt is stressing things. When my adrenals were really overloaded I had to go no-salt.

I'm also experiencing increased tinnitus today. Yesterday I did coffee enema, no sound at all when I went to bed. And this AM, louder than the hiss I've been getting over these last weeks. :( The only thing I can think of is the corn starch in my thyroid rx, which I can't get rid of for at least 10 days, when I can start compounded T3. It's my last allergenic source. Maybe I've added too much salt back into diet? Maybe it's just low K+, as mentioned in comment below. I've been needing less recently, but I'll certainly be paying attention to whether this shifts w/ my next K+ dose. The only thing I know is that I'm not getting any pain in my kidney/adrenal area today...:confused:

I've just been doing some looking around at other threads.
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...-and-histamine-intolerance.27180/#post-479245
Freddd: Ringing ears can be B12 deficiency. It can be a lot of other things too. When MeCbl is first started there is an amplification of sensory phenomena and that includes "noise" in the system. I've had both. I've had a whole lot more than 2 kinds of ear ringing

And @Victronix just posted on the same thread
For me, ear ringing is one symptom among many that I am low potassium, and methylation will make me low potassium. I used to take elemental potassium when I was taking mfolate, but now am only taking m B-12 and only need to drink some coconut water, eat bananas, etc.

end

@ahmo

So I guess anything(allergies, deficiencies)that stress the adrenals can cause/increase tinnitus?

I think sodium may also further complicate things because like you posted above - "and one of the causes of subjective tinnitus is improper balance of ionic minerals."

You can get K+ on script in Oz - Slow K or Span K. Or you could try high K+ foods and see if that helps?

Thanks for the heads up. I also read about b12, zinc & possibly Vitamin A & D deficiency causing tinnitus. But never anything regarding K+ !

ahmo

K+:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I felt quite off yesterday. Not only the ear buzzing, but irritable, mast cell sites flared. Took extra K+ in PM and woke up w/o mast cell symptoms, and buzz in ears reduced to fine hisss. I'm also rather amazed to find how :grumpy:the increased sound in my ears made me feel. This was nothing compared to what I'd endured for years, but an increase on my new normal. Tinnitus sux:thumbdown:

So I guess anything(allergies, deficiencies)that stress the adrenals can cause/increase tinnitus?
That's been my experience.

acrosstheveil

i've been having a hell of time getting my mast cell reactions under control. Been taking allegra, zantac, benadryl, hydroxyzine, and singulair with little help. It at leasts stops the chest pains but not the tinnitus. I should be getting my first dosage of cromolyn sodium on monday (pharmacy had to special order) so I'm optimistic about that.

Hanna

Do you have Hashimoto's? If so, iodine could be driving your histamine issue.

You'll find info, instructions here. Use the lightest roast possible, preferably organic; filtered water.
http://www.mygutsy.com/the-ultimate-liver-detox-coffee-enemas/

http://www.sawilsons.com/library.htm

There seems to be some controversy between the "both Wilsons"
According to Dr Lawrence Wilson, MD : light roated coffee is better to be avoided. (see below, quoted from his internet site - coffee enema page)

"2. A medium or dark roast. I suggest a medium or dark roast coffee for most people. Research in Molecular Nutrition & Food Research found that dark roast coffee restored blood levels of the antioxidants vitamin E and glutathione more effectively than light roast coffee. The dark roast also led to a significant body weight reduction in pre-obese volunteers, whereas the light roast did not."

Separate research also showed that dark roast coffee produces more of a chemical called N-methylpyridinium. This chemical is produced during the roasting process, and the darker the roast, the more N-methylpyridinium it contains.

Caffeine levels vary depending on the degree of roasting of the coffee. Darker roasts often contain less caffeine than lighter roasts.

Some authorities suggest a light roast coffee, or golden coffee such as the “enema coffee” sold by S.A. Wilson in Canada. It is much more yin, which is not desirable. Light roast coffee also contains a toxin that I do not believe should be there. Roasting the coffee more gets rid of this yin toxin. The light roasted coffee may be somewhat easier to use for some people, but it is not best, in my view."

Once again, difficult to know what is better for us... Perhaps, just try the both and draw your own conclusion. The golden one is incredibly expensive for those who live outside Canada/US.

ahmo

I started w/ dark roast organic; it was what I'd been drinking. Even when I reduced the amount of coffee I used, I still had difficulty sleeping, no matter how early in day I started. Then switched to a light roast. Better. Then I went w/ saWilson's special enema light blend. I was highly sceptical, but gave it a try when I found it no more expensive than any commercial organic coffee, even w/ postage to Australia. Best by far.