• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Healing the brain

Martial

Hey guys, just was curious on some tips or advice from other well informed people here.

My most recent MRI scan showed some brain damage in my frontal cortex and my doctor said once again it proves something is infecting my brain, causing damage etc.. Aside from the depression hearing this aside I would like to do what I can to help heal my brain. Is there any supplements or things I can try to help speed this process and stay on the track to good health?

My other recent test showed severely low testosterone at 150 where the lowest limit for my age range (24) is 300. There was some other things too but don't feel like writing it all down since I don't know off top of the head.
So basically yeah, anything to help balance my test level, and heal the brain, protect from further damage, help my nervous system, etc...

I know I can get it all back with time since it wasn't major issues but I just want to do what I can. Trying to stay on top of what I need as best I can so I don't slip further before getting better. Also been having some worrisome kidney pains on and off again that have been quite discerning but kidney and liver tests have come back normal.

My nervous system is just very compromised and it has been quite a trouble to do what I can to prevent damage and finally clear this lyme and co infections, and move on with my life again.

Thanks everyone!

Todd

Last edited:

shah78

Sorry for your problems. My advice; Cold thermogenesis. Google: Jack Kruse, CT6.He's actually clear and concise (for a change). DO AS MUCH AS YOU CAN WORK UP TO. THERE IS NO U CURVE INVOLVED. Good luck.

chipmunk1

what did the doctor say?

do you have any history of concussion, head injury, car accident etc..?

I think figuring out what causes the damage or what caused it could be important.

If you have low testo get your pituitary gland hormones checked.

I think omega 3 fatty acids are said to be helpful for brain repair.

lifestyle changes(healthy eating, moderate exercise,sleep etc.) can raise testosterone levels naturally but this might be impractical if you are already very sick or might not work if you have a serious endocrine problem

Last edited:

Wayne

Hey guys, just was curious on some tips or advice from other well informed people here. ... My nervous system is just very compromised and it has been quite a trouble to do what I can to prevent damage and finally clear this lyme and co infections, and move on with my life again.

Hi Todd, I just ran across this Lyme/Cannabis Oil testimonial yesterday (below). I've been thinking about the neuro-protective qualities of cannabis recently, and what it might do for my brain. It's seeming more and more I need to find some cannabis oil and give this a try. --- Here's a link to a short YouTube Video on how an elderly man with a brain tumor was given weeks to live, and was cured by cannabis oil in about two weeks. --- [My understanding at this time is that the oil doesn't contain any THC.]
---
Shelly White's Lyme disease was so debilitating that she had endured at least 10 seizures daily for a year and a half. She began smoking marijuana from a pipe and then switched to inhaling it through a vaporizer. Just from that, her seizures had stopped. Then she decided to go to the next level of using cannabis oil.

After a month of the oil, she was able to return to work and school. At the time of writing her story, she was happy to announce that she could now move out and live on her own and enjoy a normal social life. [2]

An internet radio show called "High Noon" interviewed a couple of Lyme disease victims who had been using cannabis oil successfully, Pamela Baily and Lisa Sikes. Listen via the link at source [3].

"Lymies" should look into cannabis since it handles so many ailments associated with Lyme disease. [4]

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/043834_cannabis_lyme_disease_medical_marijuana.html#ixzz36HmYE4D

Wayne

Just wanted to mention also that I've built up to about 10 grams of liposomal Vitamin C daily, and feel it has been subtly helpful for my brain. It seems to have lessened the amount of time my brain feels like it's racing and/or staticy.

I'm also beginning to harvest some Japanese Knotweed (Buhner's primary herb for Lyme). I'm only doing the leaves at this time, but am hopeful that the large amounts of resveratrol and other components (especially in the roots) can also help protect and detoxify my brain.

Lithium is great for detoxifying the brain, which is why it works for "mental disorders" as severe as schizophrenia, bi-polar, etc. It doesn't change brain chemistry, it just detoxifies the brain.

alex3619

@Wayne, do let us know how your experiment with Japanese Knotweed goes. Resveratrol is something I cannot do without now, the benefits are too obvious for me. I hope to have more to say about that soon, I am experimenting with high dose pulsed supplementation at the moment, though I suspect that it will be like most things and not do that much.

Brain dysfunction, which often shows up in ME patients, is not yet understood. When we have a cure for ME, or a great treatment, I think we will find our answer. Brain inflammation is looking to be the major impact. When many cells are in an inflammatory state they shut down function. Its a problem and may be the primary cause of brain fog. Such shut-down areas are thought (not proven) to lead to hypoperfusion, which compounds the problem.

Omega-3's can help. So can many other things. We are all looking for that magic pill, but from what I keep reading it depends more on the individual. What do you respond to? Its the Lemon Rule.

adreno

PR activist
Like alex says, inflammation and oxidative stress are likely the culprits here, so I would work on reducing those. Also, things that increase neurotrophic factors like BDNF are likely helpful.

Curcumin, resveratrol, quercetin, luteolin, ALA are great antioxidants.

For BDNF, ALCAR, lions mane, antidepressants, curcumin, lithium.

Last edited:

alex3619

Like alex says, inflammation and oxidative stress are likely the culprits here, so I would work on reducing those. Also, things that increase neurotrophic factors like BDNF are likely helpful.

Curcumin, resveratrol, quercetin, luteolin, ALA are great antioxidants.

For BDNF, ALCAR, lions mane, antidepressants, curcumin, lithium.

I read recently in one of the scientific papers on resveratrol that quercetin has at least one of the same molecular targets.

adreno

PR activist
I read recently in one of the scientific papers on resveratrol that quercetin has at least one of the same molecular targets.
That's likely. Also, I'm not suggesting that we have to take all of them, but instead choose one or two helpful ones. Some are likely more tolerable and helpful than others, it comes down to trial and error.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
I'm going to try one of the Buhner recommended herbs next week - Japanese Knotweed which contains resveratrol.

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
http://www.collective-evolution.com...-mitochondria-and-remove-damaged-brain-cells/

New Study Shows Cannabinoids Improve Efficiency Of Mitochondria And Remove Damaged Brain Cells
May 30, 2013

A recent study conducted by Andras Biokei-Gorzo at the Institute of Molecular Psychiatry at the University of Bonn in Germany is suggesting that marijuana(or the activation of the brain’s cannabinoid system) triggers the release of antioxidants, which act as a cleansing mechanism. This process is known to remove damaged cells and improve the efficiency of mitochondria. Mitochondria is the energy source that powers cells. The study was published in Philosophical Transactions Of The Royal Society, B. You can read the entire study here.
These discoveries shed new insight on how natural marijuana cannabinoids hold the capacity to literally kill the brain inflammation responsible for causing cognitive decline, neural failure, and brain degeneration. By supplying these receptor sites with cannabinoids, patients may be able to overcome brain conditions like Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, Huntington’s disease, and more, not to mention premature brain aging. The human brain contains an extensive network of special receptor sites that modulate nervous system function only when activated by the appropriate cannabinoid compounds, which are found in the marijuana plant.

More information can be found at http://www.collective-evolution.com...-mitochondria-and-remove-damaged-brain-cells/

The study the article refers to is here:

http://rstb.royalsocietypublishing....ract?sid=20cf2c23-e4fd-49e3-9398-ec8be2e00226

The endocannabinoid system in normal and pathological brain ageing
Abstract (in part)
Cannabinoids as regulators of mitochondrial activity, as anti-oxidants and as modulators of clearance processes protect neurons on the molecular level. On the cellular level, the cannabinoid system regulates the expression of brain-derived neurotrophic factor and neurogenesis. Neuroinflammatory processes contributing to the progression of normal brain ageing and to the pathogenesis of neurodegenerative diseases are suppressed by cannabinoids, suggesting that they may also influence the ageing process on the system level.

xrunner

@xrunner
you don't have details do you, no worry if not.
@maryb
I'm sorry I'm currently travelling and I don't have the book with me. You can have a look at his site here http://buhnerhealinglyme.com/
but it doesn't explain the details for each herb, how it's supposed to work for what, possible side effects etc. There's also some good information if you browse the Q&A by topic.
From what I remember Japanese knotweed / resveratrol was a primary herb, and I think Stephania t. as well (not very well known herb but highly effective) then if you look at the Q&A you'll find suggestions that vary depending on specific symptoms.

Last edited:

Hip

My most recent MRI scan showed some brain damage in my frontal cortex and my doctor said once again it proves something is infecting my brain, causing damage etc..

What type of brain damage was showing in your frontal cortex?

Also been having some worrisome kidney pains on and off again that have been quite discerning but kidney and liver tests have come back normal.

Are you sure those are not lower back muscular pains? I had pains in this area, and I thought they might be kidney pains. However, my doctor, after prodding and poking me in various locations on my torso, said that my pains most likely came from my muscles (although he did also arrange some kidneys tests). He advised anti-inflammatories, which work for muscle pain. I took some ibuprofen, and sure enough, within hours the pains were much better. So he was right, it was my muscles.

Martial

Wow thanks so much for the helpful responses! I will look into a lot of these things, thankfully most stuff mentioned I am already using as well. Hip they mentioned spots of high intensity in the frontal cortex, and different parts of the brain being off line. I took a neurological test that showed my brain wasn't interacting well enough with electrical impulses between the hemispheres, it also showed some abnormal things with my blood vessels. For the bulk of things I am assuming its just the typical low blood flow, brain inflammation from infection. The pains could have been from muscles but it was very sharp and acute, and not the usual type i would feel from say dehydration and exercising. I am sure it is fine though because my kidney and liver functions came back fine, no yellowing of my eyes, etc.. You are probably right in that it is more of a muscle type of pain.

The other thing I am looking into now is what to do for these low hormone issues, I don't want to be on T replacement for my whole life but I do need to raise it back up while dealing with this infection. So far I have been using DHEA and some Testerone boosting herbs, also avoiding phenoyl extrogens. Not sure if that is spelt right, there is other stuff too but I can't figure that out with out hard copies of the tests. I am on Buhners stuff already as mentioned, and numerous other things mentioned as well. I think I am in a good spot but it is interesting to see actual proven issues now. It will be much easier for me to get partial disability benefits with my test results and abnormal findings, then hopefully clear up this infection and stuff its doing and move on with my life again.