• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Methylation Panel results, any advices?

PeterPositive

Hello,
got my methylation panel results today... 8 values out of 12 are below range :(
I guess it's not that uncommon for people in this board.

mp-results.png

As usual... low GSH and SAM-e.
Low SAM/SAH ratio ( < 4.5 )

It looks like the current dose of 1200mcg of Metafolin is barely sufficient to keep the 5-CH3-THF levels at the bottom of the range, while THF is still insufficient.

Folic Acid is still pretty high even though I have stopped all supplements containing it 9 months ago. Doesn't the body get rid of it sooner or later?

There was also an interesting comment in the interpretation of the results:
S-Adenosylhomocysteine (RBC): increased. Copper is needed to convert SAH. Consider to check the status of copper and also of antioxidants.
I don't know my copper levels, besides the hair analysis which showed low copper, but I'd take that with a grain of salt.

Any suggestions?

The main mutations are MTHFR C677T +/+, MTHFS +/+, TCN2 +/+ MTR A2765G +/-, MTRR A66G +/-, VDR Taq/Bsm +/-, COMT V158M, H62H +/-

Last edited:

Thinktank

Sorry can't be of much help interpreting your results but just want to share that Genova labs offers an elemental panel that checks copper etc. in RBC. Might be a better indication of your copper stores instead of the hair analysis.

Helen

Hi Peter,

I guess that you have checked the interpretation guide that Rich Van Konynenburg put together and posted here? It is very helpful. He told me that he had more than 200 panels from PWME and all but I few had impaired methylation. ( That is why I am particularly concerned about methylation and ME beside infections, immunology, toxins a. o).

Surely you need more methylfolate than you take today, and probably MeCbl too, to get your methylation going. Your MTHFR (and probably MTR/MTRR) mutations lowers the enzyme activity pretty much. Homocysteine and methylmalonic acid lab tests?

Infections and toxins as amalgam and mold are supposed to consume extra glutathione too. I have had two panels and was surprised not to have normal lab values after ayear on a methylation protocol, but found out that I had Lyme that could explain the extra need for supplements.

I would send the director of the lab in US, Dr. Tapan Audhya, an e.mail and ask about the copper issue, and why not also about the high folic acid?

Hello,
got my methylation panel results today... 8 values out of 12 are below range :(
I guess it's not that uncommon for people in this board.

View attachment 7702

As usual... low GSH and SAM-e.
Low SAM/SAH ratio ( < 4.5 )

It looks like the current dose of 1200mcg of Metafolin is barely sufficient to keep the 5-CH3-THF levels at the bottom of the range, while THF is still insufficient.

Folic Acid is still pretty high even though I have stopped all supplements containing it 9 months ago. Doesn't the body get rid of it sooner or later?

There was also an interesting comment in the interpretation of the results:

I don't know my copper levels, besides the hair analysis which showed low copper, but I'd take that with a grain of salt.

Any suggestions?

The main mutations are MTHFR C677T +/+, MTHFS +/+, TCN2 +/+ MTR A2765G +/-, MTRR A66G +/-, VDR Taq/Bsm +/-, COMT V158M, H62H +/-
Do you know whether you have enough Lithium on board ? It should show on your Hair Analysis... Depending which lab you used. Some people with MTR/MTRR mutations dump their Lithium into the urine and their levels are very, very low. Lithium is needed to get B12 and Folate into the cells.

PeterPositive

Sorry can't be of much help interpreting your results but just want to share that Genova labs offers an elemental panel that checks copper etc. in RBC. Might be a better indication of your copper stores instead of the hair analysis.
Thanks, will look into that.

PeterPositive

Hi Peter,
I guess that you have checked the interpretation guide that Rich Van Konynenburg put together and posted here?
Yes, I did. Very helpful indeed.

It is very helpful. He told me that he had more than 200 panels from PWME and all but I few had impaired methylation. ( That is why I am particularly concerned about methylation and ME beside infections, immunology, toxins a. o).
I think I've seen another 3-4 methylation panel results on this board and they usually look pretty similar. There's definitely a pattern of low SAM, high SAH, low glutathione and THF etc...

Surely you need more methylfolate than you take today, and probably MeCbl too, to get your methylation going. Your MTHFR (and probably MTR/MTRR) mutations lowers the enzyme activity pretty much. Homocysteine and methylmalonic acid lab tests?
Homocysteine is around 13 micromoles/liter.
Never tested MMA.

Infections and toxins as amalgam and mold are supposed to consume extra glutathione too. I have had two panels and was surprised not to have normal lab values after ayear on a methylation protocol, but found out that I had Lyme that could explain the extra need for supplements.
I don't have Lyme, but I have high mercury and crippling GI issues so I guess my methylations cycle is already put under a lot of demand.

Thanks.

PeterPositive

Do you know whether you have enough Lithium on board ? It should show on your Hair Analysis... Depending which lab you used. Some people with MTR/MTRR mutations dump their Lithium into the urine and their levels are very, very low. Lithium is needed to get B12 and Folate into the cells.
Thanks.
Lithium in my hair analysis was slightly insufficient. I am considering low-dose supplementation to see if it helps with folate and B12 transport. Both of which are impaired according to 23 and Me.

Cheers

PeterPositive

Thanks. Yeah homocysteine is OK to communicate about with doctors, although most docs will just take it as a marker for cardio-vascular issues :)

Do you have the reference ranges for your homocysteine labtest?
The lab I use says < 15 micromols/L. But most functional docs will say that anything >=10 is already bad, and ideally optimal Hcy levels should be in the range of 6-7.

Fortunately the doc I am working with knows the methylation panel, even though he's not a methylation expert. So with his help and the tons of info I can find here I am trying to figure it out :)

Helen

I am sure you will :). Good to hear that you have a doctor that is working with you on optimizing methylation.

This trial conducted at a ME-clinic where I am a patient, is interesting thinking about homocysteine and ME - not only homocysteine as a marker for cardio-vascular issues.

Scand J Rheumatol. 1997;26(4):301-7.
Increased concentrations of homocysteine in the cerebrospinal fluid in patients with fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome.
Regland B1, Andersson M, Abrahamsson L, Bagby J, Dyrehag LE, Gottfries CG.
Author information

Abstract
Twelve outpatients, all women, who fulfilled the criteria for both fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome were rated on 15 items of the Comprehensive Psychopathological Rating Scale (CPRS-15). These items were chosen to constitute a proper neurasthenic subscale. Blood laboratory levels were generally normal. The most obvious finding was that, in all the patients, the homocysteine (HCY) levels were increased in the cerebrospinal fluid (CSF). There was a significant positive correlation between CSF-HCY levels and fatiguability, and the levels of CSF-B12 correlated significantly with the item of fatiguability and with CPRS-15. The correlations between vitamin B12 and clinical variables of the CPRS-scale in this study indicate that low CSF-B12 values are of clinical importance. Vitamin B12 deficiency causes a deficient remethylation of HCY and is therefore probably contributing to the increased homocysteine levels found in our patient group. We conclude that increased homocysteine levels in the central nervous system characterize patients fulfilling the criteria for both fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome.

PMID:

[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

PeterPositive

I have one more question: as far as I understand it B12 is necessary to regenerate THF starting from 5-CH3-THF.

In other words B12 takes the methyl group from 5-CH3-THF becoming Methyl-B12 and regenerates THF in the folate cycle. Since the test shows I have enough 5-CH3-THF (although far from optimal) but low THF, the conclusion should be that there isn't enough B12 to help the process.

Am I seeing this correctly?

If so, does it make any difference as to which form of B12 to supplement?