• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Ear Infection

xlynx

Hello all,

Anyone got experience with ways to deal with an ear infection without resorting to antibiotics?

I havent been to the doctor but I can feel pressure/pain build up in the ear and swishing noises when I stand up or speak.

Any natural suggestions to deal with this?

Thanks,
Jerry

Min

I get lots of ear infections & have repeatedly tried both lavender and tea tree oil on cotton wool placed in the ear, but always end up going to the doctor for antibiotic drops.

There are hopi candles you could try; I haven't as I'm worried about where the melting candle wax goes.

xlynx

I get lots of ear infections & have repeatedly tried both lavender and tea tree oil on cotton wool placed in the ear, but always end up going to the doctor for antibiotic drops.

There are hopi candles you could try; I haven't as I'm worried about where the melting candle wax goes.

Hi Min

Do you just take antibiotic drops as apposed to oral antibiotics?

Have you ever tried garlic oil as I heard that is effective once?

THanks, Jerry

S

strawberry

I get this from time to time. I have to wear earplugs when I sleep and this causes wax build up and promotes infection. The ear canal is meant to be slightly acidic to kill microbes. If you get hard water or soapy water in it it will not help matters. I find white vinegar works well to prevent and treat mild infection. I mean the household cleaning stuff not something you add to food. It is 4% acetic acid. It is very cheap and comes in a spray bottle. There is some stuff called Earcalm which is the same thing just 2% strength and the bottle says throw away after a few months. Typical big pharma con. Just put your head to one side, spray white vinegar in and let it sit there for 5 minutes. You ear canal should stop itching and feel really sterile and nice. Unless the infection is really bad, then it might hurt. You can also mix it with isopropyl alcohol as a drying agent.

grapefruit seed extract for ear infection

Hi have you heard of Citricidal? It is grapefruit seed extract and I believe you can get an ear formula in the US ready made up. I use it for several things, eg disinfecting, warding off bugs, havent used it for ears so cant tell you how effective it might be, but lots of people swear by it as, it has powerful antibacterial properties. Might be worth checking out

HopingSince88

Is there any chance that the ear problem is being caused or exacerbated by sinus problems? I have frequently found this to be my problem, and I take Mucinex at the first sign of ear discomfort, and it helps to drain the sinus area, and thus returns the ear to normalcy.

Carrigon

I spent alot of years with recurrent ear infections. I used to use the juice of a warm onion and run that into my ear and that actually soothed it. Onions are antibacterial. I did that and I would also put drops of peroxide and alcohol right into my ear after each shower. Over time, the ear infections stopped happening.