• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Interferential current therapy via electroacupuncture: significant benefits / recovery from ME/CFS

Hip

Clinical study on electroacupuncture plus interferential current therapy for chronic fatigue syndrome
Fang Huang, Xiong Chen, Li-zhi Zhou, Ping Huang, Li-hong Guo
Journal of Acupuncture and Tuina Science, June 2014, Volume 12, Issue 3, pp 156-159

Objective
To observe the clinical efficacy of electroacupuncture plus interferential current therapy (ICT) in treating chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS), and to explore the mechanism.

Methods
Sixty eligible CFS patients were randomized into a treatment group and a control group, 30 in each group. The treatment group was intervened by electroacupuncture plus ICT, while the control group was by electroacupuncture alone. The therapeutic efficacies were evaluated after 2 treatment courses and compared between the two groups.

Results
The recovery rate and total effective rate were respectively 43.3% and 93.3% in the treatment group, versus 20.0% and 80.0% in the control group. There were significant differences in comparing the recovery rate and total effective rate between the two groups (P<0.05), showing that the recovery rate and total effective rate in the treatment group were higher than those in the control group.

Conclusion
Electroacupuncture plus ICT can produce a remarkable efficacy in treating CFS.

There is also an article about this study here.

The above study used the CDC diagnostic criteria for selecting the 60 ME/CFS patients.

The stated recovery rate using this interferential current therapy (ICT) treatment was 43.3%. The study authors define recovery as "the major symptoms and complications were completely gone, and the patient can adapt to normal social life and work".

Although they also got a 20% recovery rate from using electroacupuncture alone (they used plain electroacupuncture as a control). The fact that this study claimed a 20% recovery rate just from electro-acupuncture, and a 43.3% recovery using ICT, does seem grossly over-exaggerated. There is something wrong with these figures. If any therapy could really achieve a 20% recovery rate for ME/CFS, people would be singing about it from the rooftops.

Nevertheless, ICT acupuncture may provide some benefits for ME/CFS, even if it does not actually lead to recovery.

The interferential current therapy employed in this study is a technique of using two electrical currents of slightly different frequencies in combination, in order to create a beat frequency. For example, using two frequencies of 4000 Hz and 3900 Hz together creates a beat frequency of 100 Hz, the difference between the two frequencies.

Interferential current therapy is specifically designed to allow electrical currents to penetrate into the deeper tissues of the body. ICT was developed by Dr Hans Nemec in Vienna in the 1950s. The principles of ICT are described in this paper:

Interferential current therapy
G C Goats
Br J Sports Med. Jun 1990; 24(2): 87–92.

"Direct current and low-frequency alternating currents (> 1 kHz) encounter a high electrical resistance in the outer layers of the skin. This makes the treatment of deep structures painful because a large transcutaneous current must flow so that adequate current passes deeply. Alternating currents of medium (> l kHz to < lO kHz) or high frequency (> lO kHz) meet little resistance (due to a marked reduction in the effects of skin capacitance upon current flow) and penetrate the tissues easily, although such currents generally oscillate too rapidly to stimulate the tissues directly. These difficulties were overcome in the early 1950s with the development of interferential current therapy. The equipment produces two alternating currents of slightly differing medium frequency and is used widely to induce analgesia, elicit muscle contraction, modify the activity of the autonomic system, promote healing, and reduce oedema."

An introductory slide presentation on interferential current therapy can be found here.

The area of the body targeted by the interferential current therapy in this study was the spinal area on the back. The patients were given a total of 20 sessions of ICT, via acupuncture needles, with each session lasting 30 minutes. Frequencies around the 5000 Hz mark were used.

Note that you do not necessarily have to use acupuncture needles to apply interferential current therapy; you can apply ICT using TENS machine type sticky electrode pads. So I wonder if the benefits manifested in this study might more easily be obtained by using ICT with electrode pads, rather than acupuncture needles.

Last edited:

Mary

Moderator Resource
Interesting ..... I wonder exactly what symptoms were alleviated - e.g., PEM? It says they used the CDC criteria which as I recall is rather vague and can include people who are just tired or depressed, I think? I could look it up but don't want to take the energy right now to do it.

I looked at the units you linked and they're both from China. Here's one, I don't know if it's the same type of instrument, available in the U.S.: http://www.lgmedsupply.com/teandinc...vUGevdcIcQfhcaGjtleB4KFhEZA3HugMaKochE9PD_BwE

It does sound interesting - (though so many treatment modalities, so little money! :))

Mary

Hip

It says they used the CDC criteria which as I recall is rather vague and can include people who are just tired or depressed, I think?

That's more the sloppy Oxford criteria that is vague and can include the depressed.

I looked at the units you linked and they're both from China. Here's one, I don't know if it's the same type of instrument, available in the U.S.: http://www.lgmedsupply.com/teandinc...vUGevdcIcQfhcaGjtleB4KFhEZA3HugMaKochE9PD_BwE

That is indeed an interferential therapy device. Another inexpensive device is this one (in the UK).

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
Acupuncture Heals Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

http://www.healthcmi.com/Acupunctur...33-acupuncture-heals-chronic-fatigue-syndrome

Researchers conclude that acupuncture is effective for the treatment of chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS). A remarkable finding was made in this study. Acupuncture combined with interferential current therapy increased the success rate of acupuncture. The total effective rate of acupuncture as a standalone procedure was 80.0%. Adding interferential current therapy to the regime of care increased the total effective rate to 93.3%.

A complete recovery rate of 20.0% was achieved with acupuncture as a standalone therapy for CFS patients in 20 office visits. In the same period of time and same number of treatments, the combined therapy approach of acupuncture plus interferential current therapy (ICT) raised the complete recovery rate to 43.3%. As a result the researchers conclude, “Electroacupuncture plus ICT can produce a remarkable efficacy in treating CFS."

The total effective rate and complete recovery rate increased significantly by adding ICT to acupuncture therapy. This is an important finding now that studies indicate that CFS exceeds 10% of the white-collar working population. CFS is characterized by extreme fatigue often without an identifiable biochemical or organic cause. CFS may also involve musculoskeletal pain, sleep disorders, headaches, impaired cognition and memory, swollen or tender lymph nodes, chronic sore throat, persistent low grade fever, mental illness and exhaustion after physical or mental exertion.

Doctors and scientists note that the etiology may not be known or may be due to viral infections, immune system disorders and/or hormonal imbalances. Chronic fatigue syndrome occurs at any age but is most prevalent in the 40s and 50s. Women are more susceptible to CFS. Patients that are either overweight or inactive have a higher incidence of CFS. Many sources cite stress as a causative, aggravating and/or exacerbating factor. Complications due to CFS may be restrictions on activities of daily living, increases in work absenteeism and depression.

This CFS study was conducted by researchers from the Taihe Hospital affiliated with the Department of Acupuncture and Moxibustion, Hubei University of Chinese Medicine. Diagnostic criteria for inclusion followed standard Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) guidelines. Patients were required to have at least 6 months of unexplained persistent or recurrent extreme fatigue that is debilitating and cannot be relieved by rest. Activities of daily living must have shown a decrease by at least 50%. Each patient must have had at least 4 of the following symptoms: persistent post-exertion fatigue, sleep dysfunction, musculoskeletal pain, pharyngolaryngitis, cognition impairment or memory loss, joint pain that is not accompanied by redness or swelling, lymph node swelling in the armpit or neck, headaches.

A complete recovery was defined as all major symptoms and complications were completely resolved. In addition, a complete recovery included the criteria that a patient returned to both a normal social life and a normal work life and schedule. Electroacupuncture as a standalone procedure was significantly effective but the addition of ICT enhanced the positive patient outcomes significantly.

See the rest of the article at http://www.healthcmi.com/Acupunctur...33-acupuncture-heals-chronic-fatigue-syndrome

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
A lot depends on what points are used. I've had good acupuncture where I felt a lift in energy when I saw one particular acupuncturist. When I went to a different clinic they used different points and I didn't derive much benefit.

The article above goes into great detail of the exact technique they used. I'm thinking about taking the article to the local acupuncture school and see if they will do it. The typical procedure when you go in is they want to check your pulse and look at your tongue and figure out what your body is doing. They may decide that they don't want to do the points in the study if they think it's not the right direction to take.

Here's the technical stuff:
The type of acupuncture employed in the study was electroacupuncture. The process was as follows. Once deqi arrived at the acupoints, manual acupuncture was applied with an even reinforcing-reducing method. The needles were retained for 20 minutes. Next, between 4-6 acupuncture points were given electroacupuncture stimulation using a sparse-dense wave to a perceptibly tolerable intensity level. The electroacupuncture device was machine G-6805 produced by Suzhou Hwato Medical Instrument Co. Ltd.

Acupuncture points used in the study were: GV20 (Baihui), CV4 (Guanyuan), CV6 (Qihai), BL25 (Xinshu), BL18 (Ganshu), BL13 (Feishu), BL20 (Pishu), BL23 (Shenshu), PC6 (Neiguan), HT7 (Shenmen), SP6 (Sanyinjiao), ST36 (Zusanli). Many of these acupuncture points are classically used in Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) for the tonification of qi. Between 5-7 of the aforementioned points were chosen for each patient using sterilized filiform needles of 0.30 mm diameter and 40 mm length to depths ranging from 1-1.3 cun. A total of 10 sessions comprised 1 course of care and 2 courses of care were administered.

A stereo dynamic interferential electrotherapy device, model LDG-2 (Japan), was used for the ICT. Two groups of 4 X 4 cm electrodes were used with a 5 kHz frequency. One group of electrodes was applied to the trapezius muscles and the other group was applied to the spine between acupuncture points BL15 and BL23. Intensity levels were set to patient tolerance levels wherein tingling could be felt at the site of the electrodes. ICT was applied for a total of 30 minutes for each treatment. A total of ten sessions comprised one course of care and 2 courses of care were administered.

Last edited:

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
Patients that are either overweight or inactive have a higher incidence of CFS.

?????

From reading perhaps hundreds of messages from ME people on various sites, sufferers tend to have been extremely active before getting ill - one reason why it is so hard to adapt to being disabled.

As for being overweight, do they mean before or after getting ill?

SDSue

Southeast
?????

From reading perhaps hundreds of messages from ME people on various sites, sufferers tend to have been extremely active before getting ill - one reason why it is so hard to adapt to being disabled.

As for being overweight, do they mean before or after getting ill?
Because many (most?) of us were extremely active, running circles around "normal" people prior to illness, I have to wonder if the same genes that render us susceptible to ME/CFS also make us somewhat immune to normal fatigue prior to our illness? Perhaps our systems were never "normal"?

I never really got tired prior to being struck ill. I never sat down to "rest". I worked like a farmhand, limited only by time and not by energy. Thoughts???

As for acupuncture, my jury is still out. No experience, but I might trust ancient eastern practices a whole lot more than the current western thing we call "medicine".

MeSci

Because many (most?) of us were extremely active, running circles around "normal" people prior to illness, I have to wonder if the same genes that render us susceptible to ME/CFS also make us somewhat immune to normal fatigue prior to our illness? Perhaps our systems were never "normal"?

I never really got tired prior to being struck ill. I never sat down to "rest". I worked like a farmhand, limited only by time and not by energy. Thoughts???

As for acupuncture, my jury is still out. No experience, but I might trust ancient eastern practices a whole lot more than the current western thing we call "medicine".

Yes, I agree that the hyperactivity is likely to be relevant to a significant proportion of us with respect to causation. The exact link - I don't know - being hyperactive when we should be resting (e.g. when we have already done a lot, and/or when we have a viral illness) is obviously likely to cause some kind of burnout.

But I also think that something can makes us both hyper and prone to ME. There is a high level of anxiety in ME. I don't believe that this anxiety is actually due to psychiatric abnormalities (although I used to think so). I am one the many who has found that a change of diet can dramatically reduce anxiety, increase calmness, improve sleep and reduce numerous symptoms that developed after getting ME.

So I think that many of us have a digestive abnormality which, if we fail to consume a suitable diet, leads to a wide range of problems.

What causes that I don't know - is it genetic, epigenetic, or something else?

I have to say that I am very sceptical about claims that 20% of ME sufferers can recover through acupuncture.

I would like to see a follow-up study done in, say, a year. People who appear to have recovered often relapse within a year.

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
Keep in mind that this study was conducted in China, using people inside a Chinese gene pool and eating a Chinese diet. There are some cultural differences in how people see themselves as part of the society and there is more emphasis on the group and not the individual, quite a contrast to our ego-centric view of our place in the world. Do the Chinese encounter less stress in their lives because of how they live? Do they have a better diet?

Would this acupuncture have the same effect on Westerners eating our Western diet and striving for our highly individualistic goals?

What's up with dismissing a study when it's been published in a peer-reviewed journal? Is everyone down today? If all that separates some of us from better health is 20 visits to an acupuncturist, hell, I'll be the guinea pig. What's another 20 visits when I've probably had about 600 visits to all practitioners over the course of 23 years. Of course all of you saw the part that said "The total effective rate of acupuncture as a standalone procedure was 80.0%. Adding interferential current therapy to the regime of care increased the total effective rate to 93.3%." So they say that at least 80-93% derived some benefit.

I'm also presently having great success with spironolactone and I've reduced ALL my pain meds by at least half. I'll not be making any further comment on that because, well you know, spironolactone is a diuretic and therefore how could it possibly work for FM. There is a published study on that too but none of you would read it anyway. I can't chew your food for you.

Dreambirdie

work in progress
I use acupuncture regularly. I have done so since 1978. I actually received two treatments/week for ten years straight, starting back in the late 1980s. It helped ammeliorate my symptoms at times, but so far no cure.

mermaid

I went to acupuncture weekly (for a short time twice weekly) for 18 months, and sadly it didn't significantly improve my ME/CFS. The practitioner was rather kind and good looking otherwise I might have stopped after 6 mths.

He didn't offer electroacupuncture though and I am not sure that is available where I live.

My level of health was very poor when I started and I did improve somewhat, but my main problems at the time - both immune dysfunction and digestive pain, were left untouched despite his best efforts. I have improved the digestive issues since by diet changes and am still working on other issues like lack of stamina and the immune dysfunction (but not with acupuncture).

I think that acupuncture can be helpful for pain, but I don't have a lot of that unless I pace badly.

SDSue

Southeast
Pretty sure I don't understand the "can't chew your food for you" comment, so I'll provide a link to spironolactone in autism for those interested. It's not necessarily the diuretic properties that are advantageous, but instead ability as an anti-inflammatory, anti-androgen, and immune modulator that are of interest, so I can easily see why it would help FMS :)

Spironolactone might be a desirable immunologic and hormonal intervention in autism spectrum disorders.
Bradstreet JJ1, Smith S, Granpeesheh D, El-Dahr JM, Rossignol D.
Author information
  • 1International Child Development Resource Center, Melbourne and Florida Hospital, Celebration, 1688 West Hibiscus Boulevard, Melbourne, FL 32901, United States. DrBradstreet@aol.com
Abstract
Multiple studies now demonstrate that autism is medically characterized, in part, by immune system dysregulation, including evidence of neuroglial activation and gastrointestinal inflammation. This neuroglial process has further been characterized as neuroinflammation. In addition, a subset of autistic children exhibit higher than average levels of androgens. Spironolactone is an aldosterone antagonist and potassium-sparing diuretic with a desirable safety profile. It possesses potent anti-inflammatory and immune modifying properties that might make it an excellent medical intervention for autism spectrum disorders. Furthermore, spironolactone demonstrates substantial anti-androgen properties that might further enhance its appeal in autism, particularly in a definable subset of hyperandrogenic autistic children. One case report is briefly reviewed demonstrating objective clinical improvements in an autistic child after spironolactone administration. Additional research in controlled trials is now needed to further define the risks and benefits of spironolactone use in children with autism.

PMID:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=spirinolactone bradstreet
Med Hypotheses. 2007;68(5):979-87. Epub 2006 Dec 5.

Valentijn

Weird - they say they use CDC criteria, but still have nearly equal amounts of men and women.

And I can't read all of it, but I'm presuming they are using completely subjective outcome measurements.

Esther12

I just had a look at that paper as it had sounded funny that this acupuncture trial had used much more rigorous criteria for recovery than PACE, etc.

The whole paper was really weird though - even worse than I expected. No real details on how recovery or improvement were assessed. I went in with very low expectations, and was disappointed.

To me, the whole thing seemed really dodgy.

3 Therapeutic Efficacy

3.1 Criteria of therapeutic efficacy[12]

Recovery: The major symptoms and complications were completely gone, and the patient can adapt to normal social life and work.

Markedly effective: The major symptoms and complications were relieved by ≥2/3.

Effective: The major symptoms and complications were relieved by 1/3-2/3.

Invalid: The major symptoms and complications were relieved by <1/3, or there was no improvement.

3.3 Treatment results

After 2 treatment courses, the recovery rate was 43.3% and total effective rate was 93.3% in the treatment group, versus 20.0% and 80.0% in the control group. The inter-group comparisons of recovery rate and total effective rate both showed statistically significant differences (both P<0.05). It indicated that electroacupuncture plus ICT can produce a higher therapeutic efficacy than electroacupuncture alone (Table 2).

Last edited:

Esther12

Weird - they say they use CDC criteria, but still have nearly equal amounts of men and women.

And I can't read all of it, but I'm presuming they are using completely subjective outcome measurements.

No idea how outcomes were measured - they don't seem to say.

Also, this seems reason to wonder if they're really applying the CDC criteria correctly:

According to the statistics, the incidence rate has approached 10%-20% in white-collar workers[3].

MeSci

Keep in mind that this study was conducted in China, using people inside a Chinese gene pool and eating a Chinese diet. There are some cultural differences in how people see themselves as part of the society and there is more emphasis on the group and not the individual, quite a contrast to our ego-centric view of our place in the world. Do the Chinese encounter less stress in their lives because of how they live? Do they have a better diet?

Would this acupuncture have the same effect on Westerners eating our Western diet and striving for our highly individualistic goals?

What's up with dismissing a study when it's been published in a peer-reviewed journal? Is everyone down today? If all that separates some of us from better health is 20 visits to an acupuncturist, hell, I'll be the guinea pig. What's another 20 visits when I've probably had about 600 visits to all practitioners over the course of 23 years. Of course all of you saw the part that said "The total effective rate of acupuncture as a standalone procedure was 80.0%. Adding interferential current therapy to the regime of care increased the total effective rate to 93.3%." So they say that at least 80-93% derived some benefit.

I'm also presently having great success with spironolactone and I've reduced ALL my pain meds by at least half. I'll not be making any further comment on that because, well you know, spironolactone is a diuretic and therefore how could it possibly work for FM. There is a published study on that too but none of you would read it anyway. I can't chew your food for you.

Up to this point no one had dismissed the study, but simply expressed caution and healthy scepticism. I use this when reading all kinds of research, including peer-reviewed research, as that criterion is no guarantee of quality. All research info really needs to be scrutinised in detail and dissected with an open mind, although I know this is not possible for all readers due to lack of time, expertise, etc.

There is a huge amount of claim and counter-claim for this or that therapy, including pharmaceuticals, supplements, diet, etc., and if we tried them all we would either be bankrupt or constantly exhausted (or both!).

But if anyone wants to try something that at least seems relatively safe, I wish them luck.

As @SDSue has pointed out, drugs often/usually have more than one effect - not just the effect(s) for which they were developed. I use drugs for effects other than the prescribed ones, e.g. painkillers and antihistamines for sleep!

I changed my diet and added certain supplements to try to treat my ME via the gut, and to my surprise and delight my excess weight fell off and my sinus congestion and dermatitis cleared up as well. Another unexpected but welcome example!

Tired of being sick

Now acupuncture can reduce muscular pains associated with CFS

for a very short period of time

so unless you can afford to have an acupuncturist

as a full time live in,its not really going to help