• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Histamine reaction: Methyl-B12 vs Ado-B12

PeterPositive

I tend to have problems with histamine, especially with cold dry weather, and I think I have noticed different reactions to Methyl-B12 vs Ado-B12, where the former seem to cause an increase in histamine symptoms while the latter doesn't at all.

I have observed this for several months. 3000-5000mcg Ado-B12 don't seem to cause any histamine reaction while even 1000-2000mcg Methyl-B12 often times do.

Is this somehow expected? Or is indication of anything in particular?

My methylfolate dosage is always the same (1200mcg) so I don't think it can be part of the problem. Also the other supplements I am taking haven't changed.

thanks

PeterPositive

Thanks. I guess it makes sense although I am still not clear of how this works exactly.

When I came on this forum I learned the differences of action between the two active forms of cobalamin. At the time I had very high homocysteine ( > 90 μmol/L ) and was taking a multi-B complex that had folic acid and adenosyl-B12.

Even though it was the "wrong" form of B12, my Hcy levels went down very rapidly anyways. I guess probably my body was able to methylate it anyways... That's curious because I am also MTHFR C677T++ ... LOL :) So against almost all recommendations, those vitamins worked anyways. At least to bring it down from 90+ to 15-ish.

When I finally added methyl-B12 I didn't see any huge differences as regards Hcy levels, it went down a couple more units but I did have some other benefits.

ahmo

Hi Peter. Here are some comments from Freddd...oh, I might have already posted the last one to you...

t is the adb12 that generates ATP in the mitochondria and whose lack can casue total fatigue, all sorts of muscle and neurological pain and so on. I cured myself of CFS and FMS and many more symptoms starting 9 years ago.

Glutathione and NAC that are both said to cause “detox” are actually causing severe folate and if continued, b12 deficiencies and even brain and/or cord damage from these induced deficiencies.

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...uartet-and-other-nutrients.27482/#post-423015
Freddd: This (anti-inflammatory) is the third major role for AdoCbl. The first is mitochondria at the heart of ATP production and the second is processing fatty acids for myelin generation for healing nerves. Those are not in this paper. An important understanding is that with zinc it a complete fix for the inflammation and NO with no nasty leftovers like HyCbl leaves behind. She did the “scarlet pimpernel” papers before this and a whole lot of others, on HyCbl before this one and is an oncologist. I can’t wait to see the next one.

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/active-b12-protocol-basics.10138/page-7

…Sometimes the balance between AdoCbl/MeCbl can make a difference. Chart it every day and see what is steady and what changes day by day and even the pattern within the day. I found this kind of diary very helpful in knowing what was going on. I could see clear changes in the right direction in a month that were not visible in day to day memory comparisons. Our memories are so frail in this and it is so easy to forget most of the changes. Looking back 11 years I have trouble now believing how sick and miserable I was, how disabled I was. I was reasonably euphoric for the first 9 months or so despite all the increased awareness of muscles and nerves damage.

… I suggest establishing Methylation startup with 100+ mcg of MeCbl and AdoCbl absorbed each (at least, since the effect is NOT linear, 80% of all the body healing that can turn on does with a couple of hundred absorbed mixed active B12s. One ENZY tablet and part of an Anabol Dibencoplex capsule along the lip and gum for 1-2 hours is quite sufficient until potassium and L-methylfolate are titrated to full need at that level, then tolerate the LCF.
With B12s and folate there are at least 5-6 or more levels of healing, each one of which starts independently of the others when the full requirements are available. See LEVELS OF METHYLATION AND HEALING http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/the-stages-of-methylation-and-healing.21725/

PeterPositive

@ahmo Thanks, nice recap :)

@minkeygirl mainly it is a feeling of "pins and needles" in the torso, feet and hands. There are some foods that trigger this reaction for me such as tomatoes and spinaches. Oddly enough this doesn't happen with fish such as tuna or shrimps. And it usually gets worse in cold dry weather and after intercourse :(

PeterPositive

@PeterPositive Well at least you're having intercourse! A small price to pay? Thanks, I'm always trying to figure out some of the crazy "things" I have.
Seems like Adenosyl-B12 has helped quite a bit in that department, especially for recuperating after any sort of physical exertion. Zinc, B6 and Arginine also seem to help with libido.

At the moment I am taking around 4000mcg, of Ad-B12. I am building it up pretty slowly. How much do you guys take?

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I have no hormones so no amount of arginine is going to help. I'm on MB12 and HB12 right now, 1000 mcg. When I run out my doc wants me to go with 1000 ADB12.