• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Poll: How many root canals do you have?

Mij

I do not have any root canals. I worked for a very competent endodontist, we have had to replace root canals that were installed by general dentist who did a poor job of cleaning out infections, sterilizing etc. My point is that if the root canal is properly installed they are very safe and won't keep or make you sick.

golden

Easier for those who know how :) I dont :(

as it happens, the individual descriptions have added to the poll I feel... Many thanks all :)

Here is the count so far....:)

No Root Canals - 14
One root canal - 3
Three r/canals - 1
Four r/canals - 1
Six r/canals - 1
Several r/c - 2

Last edited:

adreno

PR activist
From the look of those results, it seems like there is a negative correlation between root canals and ME/CFS. You might therefore conclude that not having root canals is dangerous, and increases the risk of getting ME/CFS ;)

Sherlock

Boswellia for lungs and MC stabllizing
Zero. You might find the past thread about/from the guy who killed himself because of a jaw bone infection that ruined his health and his life... IIRC, he always suspected so, but it wasn't confirmed until his autopsy..

TigerLilea

I had several root canals done on the same tooth within a span of 2 weeks. About a month later my ME symptoms came about.

I'm thinking about getting it extracted because it still bothers me and am curious to see if it would help my ME at all.

I had three teeth removed that had root canals in the mistaken belief that I would start to feel better and see some improvement with my CFS. That never happened. And I still get nerve pain even though the teeth are long gone.

Sherlock

Boswellia for lungs and MC stabllizing
I had three teeth removed that had root canals in the mistaken belief that I would start to feel better and see some improvement with my CFS. That never happened. And I still get nerve pain even though the teeth are long gone.
That's interesting. The rationale against root canals is widely seen these days, and it seems compelling on its surface. Does anybody know of any actual data to back up claims that root canals are breeding grounds for infection and resulting disseminated inflammation?

I remember the study from India where public health officials nearly grabbed people off the street, gave them vigorous gum-line cleanings, then tracked them over years and discovered fewer CVD events. But then a followup study didn't find a benefit.

Wayne

That's interesting. The rationale against root canals is widely seen these days, and it seems compelling on its surface. Does anybody know of any actual data to back up claims that root canals are breeding grounds for infection and resulting disseminated inflammation?

I remember the study from India where public health officials nearly grabbed people off the street, gave them vigorous gum-line cleanings, then tracked them over years and discovered fewer CVD events. But then a followup study didn't find a benefit.

Hi @Sherlock, not sure if the data in this article are what you're looking for, but it does provide a bit of history on how root canals came to be considered toxic and dangerous. It seems root canals are a lot like vaccinations and others topics; those who believe one way are unlikely to be persuaded to believe differently. My own experience of swallowing difficulties clearing up completely almost immediately after an extraction of a root-canaled tooth (deemed in excellent shape by my dentist) has certainly colored my thinking.

Wayne

Hi @TigerLilea, how frustrating to still have nerve pain after a procedure that you thought would improve your health! Thought I'd post a paragraph from the article I linked to earlier on a recommended way to best extract a root-canaled tooth:
Q. If you have a root canal and want it removed, do you just pull the tooth?
No. This may lead to more problems. At the time these teeth are removed, the attachment from the tooth to the bone, called the periodontal ligament, must be removed with a dental burr as well. This irritated the old bone and stimulates it to form new bone. Recent studies at the University of Colorado looked at biopsies of bone under removed root-filled teeth. Lymphocytes of auto immune disease were embedded at least a millimeter into the bone, sometimes more. All this must be removed if good bone healing is to be achieved.

Last edited:

sueami

I'm checking back in on this thread to report that I had my one root-canaled tooth pulled in mid April. While I can eat on that side of my mouth again without temperature sensitivity, it did not reduce my symptoms that I could tell. I guess I'm glad it was pulled because eating hot foods was a challenge and there was clearly infection there, it was not the insta-fix I had hoped it might be.

golden

I'm checking back in on this thread to report that I had my one root-canaled tooth pulled in mid April. While I can eat on that side of my mouth again without temperature sensitivity, it did not reduce my symptoms that I could tell. I guess I'm glad it was pulled because eating hot foods was a challenge and there was clearly infection there, it was not the insta-fix I had hoped it
might be.

I love feedback - thanks very much :)

Definately sounds good to get rid of but i am sorry it wasnt an instant fix too ...that wouldve been great.

@thread,

I searched for the Mercola part 2 since i didnt see it posted in my inbox - but just couldnt find it - sorry.

sianrecovery

I have six, and they have been a long-term source of facial pain and recurrent infection. I would never have another, and consider them a failed technology for those with compromised immunity. I'm getting mine out, which , as I only have 16 teeth left in total, is not really going to add to my va va voom. But for me, it's got to be done.