• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

is late stage Lyme a time sensitive thing like ME?

Aerose91

I know any disease is easier the earlier it's caught but is Lyme much less likely to recover if we don't catch it within the first few years like ME is? I'm undergoing more intense tests now because Lyme is the only thing that explains my brain synptoms- but given how severe they are I worry that even if caught it may not be fully reversible.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I know any disease is easier the earlier it's caught but is Lyme much less likely to recover if we don't catch it within the first few years like ME is? I'm undergoing more intense tests now because Lyme is the only thing that explains my brain synptoms- but given how severe they are I worry that even if caught it may not be fully reversible.

My guess is that long-term untreated Lyme can initiate the cascade of dysfunctions that we call ME. I'd guess a number of things could precipitate ME--either singly or together.

Untreated Lyme patients are recovering functionality to a greater or lessor extent...but it seems to take about 3 years of the right sort of treatment.

Sushi

My impression is that some symptoms might remain in late stage Lyme, especially neurological ones. But it also sounds like there is usually dramatic improvement after treatment, even if it's not always a full recovery.

I'd be happy just to get up to about 50% on the various ME/CFS disability scales :rolleyes: Something where I can consistently take care of myself, and usually do house work as well would be awesome.