• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Most Effective Foods That Bind With Mercury

Wayne

Insoluble fruit fibers are best at binding with mercury, according to this article. Strawberries are best; citrus fruit, apples and pears are good as well. Other foods that bind well: Hemp protein and peanut butter. Although these foods bind with mercury really well, they don't necessarily bind well with other heavy metals.

Most Effective Foods That Bind With Mercury

Lynn_M

The Natural News article that Wayne linked to found that the insoluble plant fibers bind to mercury in the testing vial. That testing did not determine if the mercury stayed bound to the insoluble plant fibers well enough to maintain the binding in the human body and then be excreted together in feces or urine. Until that can be proven, we don't know if the mercury is truly exiting the body or just being sequestered somewhere in the body once it loses its binding to the fiber.

whodathunkit

Modified Citrus Pectin is good and easy to take. Doesn't taste bad at all. NOW brand has a good powder. Not sure about mercury but it gets lead.

Cilantro is supposed to help chelate mercury. Supposed to also work topically if you apply a tincture of cilantro to your wrist pulse points.

Alpha Lipoic Acid (regular tablets of the r & s forms, not just stabilized r form by itself) is supposed to help mobilize mercury although there is some debate as to whether or not it helps excrete mercury. If taken in large doses (300mg 3x/day) it makes your pee smell like a swamp, though, so it moves *something* out of the body.

I'm not an expert but I have chelated and seen improvement in my health thereby, and what I've read leads me to believe you can't adequately chelate mercury using just foodstuffs. You need some more concentrated substances like supplements.

jen1177

Can someone explain how pectin or other insoluble fiber, which remains in the intestines, is able to bind to heavy metals in the body? Since the mercury or aluminum or lead are in the body proper (organs and tissues and bloodstream)...how does the fiber in the intestines chelate or bind to it?
While I seem to be having big improvements in my health due to eating a naturally high-pectin diet, I don't understand how it is working. Maybe the pectin is simply binding to toxins in the gut, which then reduces my problems from leaky gut, and then my liver and kidneys are better able to deal with the toxins/metals in the body proper...?

ahmo

Coriander = cilantro. You need to be cautious with this. It actually mobilizes, and need something else to bind, eg. chlorella. Dr. Klinghardt, autism, lyme, pyroluria exepert is very enthusiastic about chlorella. It's what I've used successfully, including in enemas.

brenda

I feel terrible if l eat coriander leaf. I get severe pain at the base of my skull and feel like mercury has been released.

pemone

The Natural News article that Wayne linked to found that the insoluble plant fibers bind to mercury in the testing vial. That testing did not determine if the mercury stayed bound to the insoluble plant fibers well enough to maintain the binding in the human body and then be excreted together in feces or urine. Until that can be proven, we don't know if the mercury is truly exiting the body or just being sequestered somewhere in the body once it loses its binding to the fiber.

Great points.

I've read that MCP works by lowering inflammation in the gut, thereby lowering reabsorption of mercury-laden bile. Dr Andrew Cutler has the opinion that there is zero proof that MCP chelates any metal at all.

If you really want a gut binder, I would go for an engineered product like Quicksilver's IMD. They bind thiols to silica particles, and they claim this guarantees a one-way trip out of the body for the metals like mercury that bind to the IMD in the gut.

pemone

Cutler 101: single bond pseudo- chelators are death(for many people). ALA I so cheap, so available, so effective.. Why look elsewhere?

Maybe not death, but more like constant agony by stirring up mercury from deep tissues and then letting it resettle elsewhere to cause more symptoms....

Remember ALA has to be taken in the right way, at the right time. Take it in high doses, irregularly spaced, with your mercury amalgams in place, and you will poison your brain. That's exactly what I did to myself one year ago and I have been in serious agony since then, slowly recovering but I have not started chelation.

Cutler's protocol says to get amalgams out, chelate with oral DMSA to clear the blood and superficial tissues, and only then chelate with ALA. This avoids movement of mercury from blood into the brain. You want the gradient to be higher mercury in brain than blood, so that mercury moves in the right direction from brain to blood.

And of course the other part of this is ultra-LOW doses of ALA, every three to four hours, to maintain a constant level of chelator.

I know you probably knew all of this. But best to make this explicit for others, because doing ALA wrong is EXTREMELY DANGEROUS to a mercury toxic person. I did it wrong, and oh my god....

pemone

Coriander = cilantro. You need to be cautious with this. It actually mobilizes, and need something else to bind, eg. chlorella. Dr. Klinghardt, autism, lyme, pyroluria exepert is very enthusiastic about chlorella. It's what I've used successfully, including in enemas.

One problem with chlorella is that it is a sulfur food. This has a weak thiol, binds weakly to mercury, and ends up just moving mercury around rather than fully disposing of it.

Chlorella is not a true chelator. A true chelator has two thiols whereas chlorella has one. Alpha lipoic acid, dmsa and dmps all contain two thiols, which is why Dr Andrew Cutler says that they are the only true and safe chelators.

I cannot say this strongly enough: chelation is a dangerous process. It takes one or more YEARS to work, and it involves a lot of potential harm to your body. People are trivializing what chelation involves and they should not. If you have a proven mercury toxicity (which requires real testing of blood, urine, and hair), you should invest in Dr Andrew Cutler's books, spend the time to understand what the real risks are, and then make some intelligent decisions with your homeopath. And you have to be a little sassy and not afraid to say no to things.

Say no to to intravenous chelators. Say especially no to IV DMPS. Say no to homeopathic chelators that have one thiol instead of two. Say no to glutathione. These things will make you sicker and not clear mercury from the body efficiently.

Last edited:

pemone

@pone you had a very busy day! I've enjoyed all your chelation posts.;)

I'm living in research of this topic currently. It's my best hope to get out of this hole I am in. After reading the research, studying the protocols, and reading lots of end user reports, I realized that very few practitioners that claim to know how to detox really do. Expect to go through multiple doctors looking for the right one.

People are taking one thiol chelators and gluathione like it is vitamin C, and it definitely is not that. This topic is too complex to be self-medicating based on what you read in a few forums. Chelation is actually dangerous if done right, and extremely dangerous if done wrong. Doing chelation safely is tough, and it requires study.