• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

copper deficient, but copper makes me worse

girlfromeurope

Hi,
I have a problem.
I think I've been having a copper deficiency for a while. I have symptoms of anemia and everytime I tike zinc my nails get a purple color and I will feel bad. I've gained a lot of weight ( I read low copper levels can cause low thyroid, what may cause the weight problem) and I also have low magnesium that doesn't respond to supplements, I've read somewhere that copper is needed for magnesium absorption.

The problem is I started to take copper yesterday and I suddenly felt very jittery and depressed. Today I took it again and I get the same result.

I also have adrenal fatigue which can cause high unbound copper. Maybe that's the problem?
I als wonder, are there other deficiencies that can cause magnesium malabsorption? I already tried b6, b-complex,taurine,calcium,zinc
I also have frequent sore throat, frequent bladder infections, acne,chapped lips,...
I'm lost at what to do , does somebody experience the same?

Last edited:

Lou

I get copper deficient periodically, do not know the reason. The first time detected (by 2 separate hair analysis) my doctor had me take one tablet (cannot remember if it was 2.5 or 5 mg) daily, first thing in morning, before you get out of bed is even better, and he told me to take it for thirty days, absolutely no longer. It worked wonders. That was fifteen years ago and I've probably gotten deficient another 3-4 times since then.

As you probably know copper is hard to pin down, high and low symptoms can be quite similar. A trick that works for some, it does for me, is its taste. If you'll allow a tablet to dissolve in your mouth or chew it the taste can offer a strong clue as to your needs. On the first days of my trial taking copper its taste was almost sweet (indicating a real need) and by day 30 it tasted beyond awful.

I used Solgar chelated copper on empty stomach though I think ionic form is good, too. Hope you're able to find out whether you're deficient or not, cu is an extremely important mineral for the body.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
Copper can decrease iron, so may be causing a problem if you are still anemic.

Are you treating the adrenals and thyroid?

girlfromeurope

I got iron injections so I'm not deficient in iron.
I think got low thyroid from the copper/zinc deficiency so I'm trying to fix that.