• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Discuss SNP rs1464510 Celiac, gliadin, gluten related SNP

roxie60

I am also gluten/gliadin sensitive but my blood celiac test was negative (of course my blood never shows much of anything). Neurologist said the celiac blood test is about 20-30% false negative - this however is not what i found in pubmed? their info said the false neg was about 1%, big difference, I have lost faith in Drs so it doesnt matter).

Hi drex13, could just mean you carry one gene that 'might' make you gluten sensitive.

Phred

I have Celiac. <waves frantically> I came up hetero AC as well on this test. There are 22 or 23 genes associated with Celiac though. 23andme only tests one.

roxie60 the 20 - 30% false negative your neurologist quoted is probably about right. Doctor's love to only test Igg or IgA antibodies. Then they don't check to see if the IgA is low. If it's low already you'll get a false negative. My doc only checked Igg. I didn't have the antibodies. I was diagnosed through endoscopy (found villous atrophy) and positive response to gluten free diet. Doctors need to do a FULL Celiac panel to rule out the disease and that is far too often not done.

Also Celiac is genetic, but it's triggered. So if you have the gene, but it hasn't been triggered yet, you're not making antibodies. If you're not making the antibodies it won't show up on blood work.

That's my quick lesson on Celiac. There's also NCGI (non celiac gluten intolerant) and fun stuff like gluten ataxia. Hope that's all clear as mud. :)

roxie60

so far it looks like we are batting 100% - if people have one or two of the risk allele 'A' they are reporting being Celiac or gluten sensitive (unless I misread anyones post, apologies if I did ).

Valentijn

23andMe is pretty bad for testing HLA types. But even HLA type isn't completely determinative of having celiac or gluten intolerance. Blood testing and/or biopsy is probably needed for celiac, and IgA testing and food elimination trial is probably needed to determine gluten intolerance.

ukxmrv

I saw this posted to Facebook recently on the "Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Research Center at Stanford University" page

And here is our first Question and Answer post!!

Question: What are possible examples of findings that could be found in this type of research and how could this translate to validating the illness and lead to future treatments?

Answer from Dr. Davis: One example of findings is from genetic analysis. If we can find gene variants that are more common in CFS than non-CFS or other diseases, then the altered function of these versions of the genes may increase the chances of onset of CFS. This could tell us who is at greater risk. It could also give clues for treatment. We are sequencing the DNA of the HLA region from patients with CFS (and controls). The sequence of the HLA region often predicts susceptibility to disease.

My IgA is low (0.5) so I worry that a lot of the blood testing for coeliac will be inaccurate. I had a negative on the coeliac test my GP did, but it is IgA based. I tried to get an IgG test but GP said no, that the IgA test result was okay because my IgA was low but not deficient. Don't know if that's right or not. I'm going to ask for the biopsy but I doubt that he is going to agree - despite my gut symptoms which he is ignoring.
Are there any other private tests accurate for coeliac / gluten intolerance, not based on IgA?
Enterolab does a faecal fat absorption test that's supposed to show villi damage, presumably an alternative to a biopsy?