• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Good article about Infection and Autoimmunity

Daffodil

Infections and autoimmunity: the multifaceted relationship:

http://www.jleukbio.org/content/87/3/385.full

This article mentioned RNase L, as well as pDC's as in DeMeirleir's paper. Here is an exerpt:

"Type I IFN and IFN-related cytokines and chemokines can induce a favorable immune setting to develop autoimmunity. IFN signature seems to be one of the first steps in the pathogenesis of SLE and other autoimmune diseases [33] . IFN-α can contribute to the pathogenesis of SLE through various mechanisms, including direct and indirect effects on APCs, T cells, and B cells. IFN-α is largely produced by immature DCs, now known as pDCs, which are stimulated by viruses to produce IFN-α, and this production up-regulates expression of TLR7 by B cells, promotes cell death, increasing the release of certain RNA and DNA autoantigens, and primes pDCs to respond more effectively to immunocomplexes [34] . Recent studies suggested that hypomethylated plasma DNA might be influential in the pathogenesis of SLE. Bacterial and viral DNA, which are hypomethylated, can induce various immune changes that are similar to those observed in SLE, including activation of TLR9 signaling, leading to the overexpression of type I IFN genes, polyclonal B cell activation, and production of autoantibodies such as anti-DNA antibodies, production of IL-6, and resistance to apoptosis, which potentially allows the survival of autoreactive cells [35] . Indeed, induction and/or aggravation of SLE are well known to occur after bacterial or viral infection."

Daffodil

I think this is exactly what is going on in our disease. demeirleir even mentions the same toll like receptors in his paper.

why are people giving money to the mircobiome study? it is not as simple as gut flora problems. gut flora problems are a symptom.

I find this so upsetting. so many of us are dying and all the wrong things are getting attention.

geraldt52

why are people giving money to the mircobiome study? it is not as simple as gut flora problems. gut flora problems are a symptom..

I don't think that Dr. Lipkin thinks that CFS is as simple as a gut flora problem either.

I believe he is looking at the gut in order to find a pathogen that might be responsible for the original insult...as an alternative to testing tissue to find the pathogen.

He has stated that he doesn't believe that tissue testing would be funded given the current state of knowledge, and has also stated that Columbia University wouldn't likely permit such research given the present state of knowledge.

He has expressed confidence that any pathogens that might be revealed in tissue testing will also reveal themselves in the gut. You have to admit that he has some experience in such things, and a track record that others would envy.

Daffodil

I don't think that Dr. Lipkin thinks that CFS is as simple as a gut flora problem either.

I believe he is looking at the gut in order to find a pathogen that might be responsible for the original insult...as an alternative to testing tissue to find the pathogen.

He has stated that he doesn't believe that tissue testing would be funded given the current state of knowledge, and has also stated that Columbia University wouldn't likely permit such research given the present state of knowledge.

He has expressed confidence that any pathogens that might be revealed in tissue testing will also reveal themselves in the gut. You have to admit that he has some experience in such things, and a track record that others would envy.
why doesn't anyone care that demeirleir already DID next generation sequencing on tissue and found this EXACT same thing!?

geraldt52

why doesn't anyone care that demeirleir already DID next generation sequencing on tissue and found this EXACT same thing!?

I'm sure at least some people do care.

The problem is that if a study isn't large enough to be considered adequate, and is done by someone deemed to be on the margins of research, then the results are easily dismissed, or just ignored. Quite a number of people have made quite a number of interesting "findings" over the years, but none of them have come to anything because they obviously are not considered "worthy" of follow-up by the people who control the money.

I don't think that Dr. Lipkin is the only human on the planet that can move CFS research forward. But, I do think that if Dr. Lipkin finds something, in the sort of study that he insists on, he will be very difficult to ignore in the way that so many others have been. That, I think, is the compelling reason to give money to The Microbiome Discovery Project.