• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

New home self-diagnostic tool analyses a droplet of saliva, blood, or a nasal swab in real time

Waverunner

I guess this is a must for every PWC. Hopefully it will be released in 2015. As always, the FDA is slowing innovation but devices like these cannot be stopped on a global scale. Imagine if you could check for infections, vitamins, hormones etc. yourself and then work out a treatment plan with your doctor or yourself.

http://www.sciencealert.com.au/news/20141206-25672.html

Self-monitoring devices such as Jawbone, which track your daily physical activity and send data to your smartphone, have become a profitable and a helpful tool in studies on issues such as obesity. These gadgets generate data that can help users gain better health, but are far from being a reliable diagnostic tool.

Cue goes a step further, digging deep into the molecular level. By analysing samples at home, Cue lets you know if you’re sick in minutes—it can tell you whether you have influenza or just a common cold, and measures your vitamin D, testosterone, inflammation, and fertility levels. All you need to do is take a sample and insert it in one of Cue’s small cartridges. The results are then sent to your smarthphone via Bluetooth, and you can share them with your doctor.

The device could also make doctor-patient communication more efficient and save time when dealing with diseases. Clint Server, Cue co-founder, told Fast Company: “It doesn't make sense to us that all that information is locked up with gatekeepers. You have to go through a doctor, you have to go through a lab. There's a wait time associated with that, there's a high cost associated with that.”

The device launches in 2015, but approval by the FDA in the United States is still pending.

alex3619

In 1977 (1975? 73?)) or so I read an article that claimed this kind of thing would be along in a few years. Alas it went the way of home humanoid robots and flying cars ... until now. It would by nice to see more products like these. Of course we now have flying cars and humanoid robots ... but they remain novelty gimmicks. Health care has huge holes in it though. The market it there.

Waverunner

Here is an introduction to cue. The best thing about this device is, that it is ready and waits to enter the market in spring 2015.

Ruthie24

Especially in this day and age when everyone is lamenting the lack of primary care physicians and it takes weeks, if not months, just to get an appt.- if you can get an appt- this kind of thing makes SO much sense. Of course, having patients be empowered and responsible for their own healthcare might be threatening to those who like the status quo.....

*GG*

I guess this is a must for every PWC. Hopefully it will be released in 2015. As always, the FDA is slowing innovation but devices like these cannot be stopped on a global scale. Imagine if you could check for infections, vitamins, hormones etc. yourself and then work out a treatment plan with your doctor or yourself.

http://www.sciencealert.com.au/news/20141206-25672.html

Self-monitoring devices such as Jawbone, which track your daily physical activity and send data to your smartphone, have become a profitable and a helpful tool in studies on issues such as obesity. These gadgets generate data that can help users gain better health, but are far from being a reliable diagnostic tool.

Cue goes a step further, digging deep into the molecular level. By analysing samples at home, Cue lets you know if you’re sick in minutes—it can tell you whether you have influenza or just a common cold, and measures your vitamin D, testosterone, inflammation, and fertility levels. All you need to do is take a sample and insert it in one of Cue’s small cartridges. The results are then sent to your smarthphone via Bluetooth, and you can share them with your doctor.

The device could also make doctor-patient communication more efficient and save time when dealing with diseases. Clint Server, Cue co-founder, told Fast Company: “It doesn't make sense to us that all that information is locked up with gatekeepers. You have to go through a doctor, you have to go through a lab. There's a wait time associated with that, there's a high cost associated with that.”

The device launches in 2015, but approval by the FDA in the United States is still pending.

Not sure that the FDA is slowing innovation, but they definitely keep lots of things from reaching market for years!

GG

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
Why on earth does it send the results to your smartphone via Bluetooth. I have neither a smartphone nor Bluetooth. I doubt that many older people, a demographic with a higher need for health monitoring, do either. :grumpy:

And how much does that add to the cost of the device (not counting the cost of the smartphone and Bluetooth). :bang-head:

Waverunner

Why on earth does it send the results to your smartphone via Bluetooth. I have neither a smartphone nor Bluetooth. I doubt that many older people, a demographic with a higher need for health monitoring, do either. :grumpy:

And how much does that add to the cost of the device (not counting the cost of the smartphone and Bluetooth). :bang-head:

Well, nearly everyone uses smartphones or tablets these days. A cheap smartphone or tablet is around 100 USD and if you use a mobile device you have to replace it one day anyways.

The Cue costs around 149 USD, if preordered. The product price will likely get cheaper in a few years. In my eyes, the only problem could be operating costs. Every time you measure something you have to use a wand and 5 wands are about 20 USD. For influenza, 3 wands cost 30 USD. Checking too often will get you broke but I still think that the prices a reasonable for a device, which is the first of its kind.

Waverunner

Not sure that the FDA is slowing innovation, but they definitely keep lots of things from reaching market for years!

GG

True. I just read, that they sell their product on an exemption rule first but their main goal is to get FDA approval next year.

alex3619

Operating costs include mobile devices costs, which can run into many tens of dollars per month from your telecommunications provider. The claim that nearly everyone uses a mobile or smart phone is incorrect, though it might be true for some demographics. It would be interesting to see what percentage of ME patients actually do use these. However it is the case that anyone here on PR is using a computer, and it should be possible to get information sent to a computer via fixed connection to the internet.

Waverunner

Operating costs include mobile devices costs, which can run into many tens of dollars per month from your telecommunications provider.

That's simple not true. You don't need a telecommunication provider in order to buy a smartphone or tablet. In fact, many tablets have no mobile internet at all and therefore a connection to a telecommunication provider is not possible. In addition to this, you can always buy a prepaid tariff plan, which lets other people call you but doesn't create any monthly cost for you at all. I understand, that some people still don't use smartphones or tablets but this is one more reason to adapt new technology. Take it or leave it. Nobody forces you.

alex3619

If the device does not require communication with a central database, and operates independently, and only requires a bluetooth connection, then it can be run from a PC provided only that this is not some android specific operating system. If it is android specific, then in time there will be an app for PCs, whether Mac or Windows.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
I understand, that some people still don't use smartphones or tablets but this is one more reason to adapt new technology. Take it or leave it. Nobody forces you.
That is a rather arrogant attitude for a company to take towards potential customers. I will have to leave it because I can’t afford to buy a tablet to use as an interface for a medical devices that lacks one. In my opinion the designers would have served the company better if they had been a little less clever and a little more practical. Why not put a digital readout on the thing?

maryb

iherb code TAK122
I'm the most useless person on the planet with technical things - been refusing to have a smart phone for years, my family can't understand this, but I just use it to text and phone, that's it. Trying to understand how new things work makes my brain really hurt. and I hate touch screen anything, - computers ugh.

But I have to say this looks really interesting and maybe, just maybe if someone can hold my hand and walk me through it I would have one. Lets hope they're within the ordinary person's budget.

At present I remain absent from my GP's surgery for months,, too sick to even get out of bed sometimes, never mind the house, the only time I go to the surgery is when I'm fit enough to wash, dress and then look relatively okay, this is all they ever see. I would love the opportunity to be able to send them details of what is really happening with my health if this is ever possible.

Waverunner

That is a rather arrogant attitude for a company to take towards potential customers. I will have to leave it because I can’t afford to buy a tablet to use as an interface for a medical devices that lacks one. In my opinion the designers would have served the company better if they had been a little less clever and a little more practical. Why not put a digital readout on the thing?

To be honest, I myself would find it consumer friendly if the device had some small display to show the results. Even one line would be enough to show the value name and actual value. This would make the device more expensive however. I don't think the price would increase much, but it would increase. In the end you are free to contact them and complain.

What I find somewhat ridiculous however, is your statement about not being able to afford a smartphone/tablet. Are you telling me, that you can buy this device for $ 199 but you can't afford a $ 50 android smartphone from ebay? Please follow my advice and preorder Cue because you get a $ 50 discount then. For these $ 50 dollars you can then buy a smartphone. So for $ 199 you get one device and one smartphone. Complaining about the $ 50 of smartphones/tablets (which you can perfectly use for everything you want) but spending $ 199 for Cue is not very convincing.

If you want a better smartphone, you could buy a Motorola Moto E from amazon for $ 130.

Aileen

What I find somewhat ridiculous however, is your statement about not being able to afford a smartphone/tablet. Are you telling me, that you can buy this device for $ 199 but you can't afford a $ 50 android smartphone from ebay? Please follow my advice and preorder Cue because you get a $ 50 discount then. For these $ 50 dollars you can then buy a smartphone. So for $ 199 you get one device and one smartphone. Complaining about the $ 50 of smartphones/tablets (which you can perfectly use for everything you want) but spending $ 199 for Cue is not very convincing.

If you want a better smartphone, you could buy a Motorola Moto E from amazon for $ 130.
The "cue" is something I could really use but I, like some others, do not have a smartphone/tablet or bluetooth. The reason? I don't need and wouldn't use one. I can do everything I need to on my laptop which is connected by telephone cord to my modem.

You point out they are relatively cheap. But if I am on a tight budget, maybe I can afford the cue, to do a test I actually need but do not have the extra money for the rest. And if you have a smartphone, do you not also have a monthly fee for the wireless (bluetooth) access? I'd use the phone maybe 2 or 3 times per year?

As for cue. I love the concept and could use it right now. BUT... currently it only runs 5 different tests. I am not interested in Testosterone, Fertility or Influenza (never get the flu). Vitamin D is doubtful. So that leaves me with one test ... "Inflammation", actually C-reactive protein test.

What I really could use is h-pylori, thyroid (specifically a group -- free T4, free T3, rT3, TSH), ACHT, common strep and staph agents, candida. When I can get this kind of info, I'd consider it.

Aileen

Interestingly, a related product for physicians offices and other healthcare settings, is in the works. It appears to be Toronto-based and the provincial govt is very interested. According to a press release, last year the Canadian govt was granting funding to support, design and develop the first lab-free molecular diagnostic platform with a 20-minute time to result.

from the company's website:
"Xagenic (exa-GEN-ic) is a molecular diagnostics company developing a true point- of-care platform. Our aim is to enable on-demand, near patient molecular testing, empowering clinicians in making treatment decisions for their patients at the time of first consultation. This will dramatically improve patient care and reduce health care costs.

Our revolutionary AuRA™ (Amplified Redox Assay) technology, which utilizes electrochemical detection methods, was developed by Dr. Shana Kelley. Xagenic has adapted this technology to permit rapid, enzyme-free detection of nucleic acids from clinical samples.

We are commercializing a simple and fully automated technology platform that will enable widespread decentralized diagnostic testing to be performed outside of clinical laboratories. Our team is developing infectious disease tests that will allow the detection of a variety of analytes in situations where rapid test turnaround will provide clinically actionable results."

I personally would still like to be able to cut out the doctor and run my own tests for certain things if possible.

maddietod

This new technology is very exciting. This company has been mentioned on PR before; they're setting up in drug stores in the US and run hundreds of tests very inexpensively. Cue doesn't interest me so much, because it's so limited. OK, vitamin d might be useful, but what kind of inflammation is being measured? What would that tell me? And what medication do they give for influenza???

My hope is that the portability brings a revolution in treating home- and bed-bound people. Visiting nursing could become a whole new kind of profession.