• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The Role of Magnesium in Fibromyalgia

Misfit Toy

I used to use Ancient Minerals oil and it worked for pain and then stopped working. I drink Natural Calm now and notice nothing, or maybe it could be worse. Interesting, that when I had my minerals checked, I have no magnesium in my body. That was the lowest mineral and my pain is quite bad.

Thanks for posting!

Jody

I've read that Epsom Salts baths are a good way to detoxify and also to absorb magnesium.

IreneF

I've read that Epsom Salts baths are a good way to detoxify and also to absorb magnesium.

I don't know about the detoxify bit but the magnesium absorption has been borne out. I can't take baths anymore because of POTS, unfortunately.

Jody

Irene,

What a shame! Is it because of the dangers of getting in and out? Or does it have to do with warm water? I guess that can be a problem even with showers. My husband who has FM has periods where he puts off a shower for days because he feels half dead afterward. Not sure if it's from the standing up long enough to shower or if it's the warm water.

Jody

Golden,

They are very nice.:) I've actually combined the foot bath with a shower a few times. I have a hard time getting in and out of a bath -- injured my wrist badly last year in the process and have been reluctant to try it again. But if I leave the plug in during a shower, and add some Epsom salts, it must be doing some good, right?

liverock

Quite a few years ago when I was just setting out in trying detoxification I had a very nasty and fearful experience with a combination of a daily FAR sauna session followed by a warm bath with Epsom salts .

After 2 weeks and getting the normal expected detox symptoms there then began such an increase in detox that my liver and kidneys couldnt cope and the backing up of released toxins began circulating in my bloodstream.

Blood pressure crashed and the heart started racing at over 200bpm which nothing seemed to stop and it was so bad that I ended up in ER. At one stage I thought I was dying. :eek:

From this I learned the cardinal rule of detox, low and slow and make sure your kidneys and liver are up to the mark. :cautious:

IreneF

Irene,

What a shame! Is it because of the dangers of getting in and out? Or does it have to do with warm water? I guess that can be a problem even with showers. My husband who has FM has periods where he puts off a shower for days because he feels half dead afterward. Not sure if it's from the standing up long enough to shower or if it's the warm water.

It's the hot water. I can't take showers, either. Even a foot bath can trigger POTS. Now I take sponge baths and wash my hair at the kitchen sink. My skin is in terrible shape.

golden

Irene,

I dont know about FM - but showers left me half dead too... It was partly the standing (would have to crouch) but it was also the *Chlorinated Steam*.... Just thought i would mention it in passing in case it helps :)

golden

Golden,

They are very nice.:) I've actually combined the foot bath with a shower a few times. I have a hard time getting in and out of a bath -- injured my wrist badly last year in the process and have been reluctant to try it again. But if I leave the plug in during a shower, and add some Epsom salts, it must be doing some good, right?

For sure, i would say so if you feel like it is. I found epsim salts to be super gentle after initially being really scared to try them cos of previous bad reactions to stuff.

But I had been doing Perrin Techniques and lymph drainage so i was manually removing toxins for a good while before i tried...

golden

It's the hot water. I can't take showers, either. Even a foot bath can trigger POTS. Now I take sponge baths and wash my hair at the kitchen sink. My skin is in terrible shape.

i just had a google search in case there were any horizontal foot bath gadgets out there - but not yet :-/

IreneF

I used to love hot baths and showers, the hotter the better. Now I just dream about them. I'll know I've recovered if I can indulge in a hot soak.

golden

I used to love hot baths and showers, the hotter the better. Now I just dream about them. I'll know I've recovered if I can indulge in a hot soak.

There was a cleaning foam spray it was designed to be good to the skin....on the NHS

I dont recall how many chemicals were in it or its name but wondered if something like this would be helpful?

IreneF

There was a cleaning foam spray it was designed to be good to the skin....on the NHS

I dont recall how many chemicals were in it or its name but wondered if something like this would be helpful?

I think it's the lack of water. I need to get good and wet and go at my skin with a pumice stone.