• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Tourette Syndrome study eyes new treatment for misunderstood condition

Aileen

Interesting article linking Tourette's to histamine. That just keeps popping up doesn't it? Some select quotes from the article. Emphasis (bold print) mine. Read full article [here]

A New Approach
Last year, Overlook Medical Center became one of nine facilities nationwide — and one of two in New Jersey along with CRI Lifetree in Marlton — to participate in a clinical trial designed to test an experimental drug that has shown promise in treating Tourette’s in a new way.

In contrast to neurological movement disorders like Parkinson’s disease, where patients exhibit a too-low sensitivity to the neurotransmitter dopamine, “some studies suggest that Tourette syndrome reflects a too-high sensitivity to dopamine, causing excessive movement,” Kurlan said. “As a result, antipsychotic medications have been used to reduce dopamine sensitivities or block these receptors to suppress the tics, but the side effects are that they often sedate people, make them feel like zombies, trigger mood swings and promote weight gain.”

The new trial, sponsored by AstraZeneca and conducted under a U.S. Investigational New Drug application, is instead investigating the blockage of histamine in the basal ganglia portion of the brain.

According to Kurlan, “Scientists first became interested in histamine’s role in Tourette syndrome after finding abnormalities in genes involved in histamine production in Tourette’s patients and also after noticing that antihistamines taken by Tourette’s patients to relieve seasonal allergy symptoms often resulted in suppressing their tics to some degree. The trial approaches the disorder from a whole new direction,” he said, “and if this proves to be an effective treatment with fewer side effects, it could be a breakthrough for so many children and adults with Tourettes syndrome.”

As part of the ongoing trial, administration of the investigational drug and all results are blinded to the investigator, sponsor and participants.

ahmo

This is SOOO Interesting. Since I discovered the significance of my MAO++ and histamine, I'm fascinated by histamine and it's ramifications.

I've been taking Dr. Theoharides Neuroprotek for mast cell release of histamines in the hipocampus. I felt the results within a few hours, was able to drop several of my supps straight away. I've discovered that when my mind's turned on at 3AM and I can't stop the chattering, one Neuroprotek shuts down the monkey mind within 15 minutes.

‘Brain Allergy’ and ASD - T. Theoharides, MD, PhD‬https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=9QbZp3WcC1Q

Mastocytosis with Theoharis C. Theoharides, MS, PhD, MD, FAA‬http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=CplxXGpFeKQ

Neuroprotek http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=pNQsK9PQL3c

Wayne

Interesting article linking Tourette's to histamine. That just keeps popping up doesn't it? Some select quotes from the article. Emphasis (bold print) mine. Read full article [here]

Hi @Aileen

I recently read a book by Dr. David Perlmutter, a neurologist who focuses on gut and brain health. In this book, he shared the experience of a 13-year boy whose Tourette's symptoms were getting worse. After talking to him and his mother, they decided to put 6 capsules of a probiotic into an enema retention solution. The mother called the next day and said her son's neurological system was more settled down than it had been in years. As I recall, most of his Tourette's symptoms dissipated in the following days and weeks.​

Last edited:
The research must be very exciting for those with TS. The research got off the ground in about 2010 I think with a researcher studying a family with 8 or so children with TS inherited from the father. There are some huge studies happening right now and hopefully this will help those who have the related genetic abnormalities.

As for Dr. David Perlmutter -- here is a not so glowing review of his work -- http://nymag.com/scienceofus/2015/06/problem-with-the-grain-brain-doctor.html#

svetoslav80

Is there anyone with Tourettes here? I have a severe tic disorder since childhood, though I'm not sure if it can be classified as Tourettes.

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
As for Dr. David Perlmutter -- here is a not so glowing review of his work -- http://nymag.com/scienceofus/2015/06/problem-with-the-grain-brain-doctor.html#

Thank you for posting the link to that article. The summary is something to keep in mind:
It’s now generally accepted that Mesmer was actually treating psychosomatic illness, and he profited mightily from people’s gullibility. In retrospect, his theories and practices sound ridiculous, but in truth, the story of Mesmer parallels many stories of today. It’s not so ridiculous to imagine people falling prey to products, procedures, and health claims that are brilliantly marketed. Every day we hear of some news item related to health. We are bombarded by messages about our health — good, bad, and confusingly contradictory. And we are literally mesmerized by these messages. Even the smart, educated, cautious, and skeptical consumer is mesmerized. It’s hard to separate truth from fiction, and to know the difference between what’s healthful and harmful when the information and endorsements come from “experts.”

mermaid

Re the original study mentioned in the first post - somehow I missed this when it was posted, and so good to read about it now. My adult son has Tourette Syndrome, which started at the age of 6. He is now 36 and attends the National Hospital for Neurology once a year.
Sadly he also now has schizophrenia, so the drugs he takes for that tend to calm the TS also, but they also make him sleep for hours and hours and he is unable to work. It seems there is also good research going on re schizophrenia, so it would be a blessing if he could get off those drugs and onto something more targeted.

Wayne

I read most of the article on David Perlmutter. Here's a notable sentence: "Perlmutter has always been unorthodox in his approach to medicine."

This in a nutshell is why Perlmutter will NEVER be accepted by mainstream conventional medicine. He doesn't subscribe to their drug oriented and profit motivated principles. Instead, he does extensive research on, and writes about using inexpensive foods, probiotics and other things to improve gut health. He feels this approach--instead of drugs--is what best supports neurological and brain health, immune system health, and more.

These are things that quite a few on this board have found to be quite helpful. I would say his approach compares quite favorably with how much help conventional medicine has offered our community. It seems the people on this board who've been helped most are those who have gone outside conventional medicine, and instead focused on what might actually work.

I've read extensively on Perlmutter and on the way he conducts himself in his thinking and in his profession. The article does not even remotely resemble what I've observed. In fact, I would call the article nothing more than a ridiculous hack job by a shill who seems to be mesmerized by the lies, greed, and corruption that is so rampant in corporate mainstream medicine.​

Last edited:

Wayne

Is there anyone with Tourettes here? I have a severe tic disorder since childhood, though I'm not sure if it can be classified as Tourettes.

Hi @svetoslav80,

Although I don't have Tourette's Syndrome, I had an aunt who did (a very sweet and humble woman). So I can greatly empathize with anyone (or their family) who does have it. When I read Perlmutter's account on how he suggested addressing gut flora issues to the mother of the child with Tourette's, I was most intrigued.

When I read that administering probiotics actually started working almost miraculously within 24 hours, it certainly got my attention. This gave me some insight into why he believes so many (if not most) neurological, brain, immune, and other maladies are profoundly affected by gut health. His chapter on autism is a must read for anybody whose lives have been profoundly affected by it.

BTW, I wonder how many mainstream doctors would have ever thought of administering probiotics to someone with Tourette's (or other neurological illnesses). Probably none, but I'm guessing most would be quick to label as a quack somebody who does, even though doing so actually often gets remarkable results.​

Last edited:

mermaid

If my son were a child, or willing to participate, then I would certainly try unorthodox approaches such as David Perlmutter's to help him, re both the Tourette Syndrome and the schizophrenia.
Unfortunately as an adult he is not willing to try things diet and supplement wise. If I had my time over again then I would have tried dietary changes when he was little, but it was before the days of the internet, and before I began to research such things.