• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What mg NAC?

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I need to reorder my NAC and I'm not sure what dose to get. I have 600 mgs but I see 500 and 750?

I have not started methylation yet but will soon. I also take MB12 and HB12, 1000 mcg.

Also, is there a difference between different brands? I started with Life Extension but Now Foods is much cheaper.

Last edited:

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
Jarrow packs a good deal of NAC and they are usually reliable. NOW only works sometimes and life extension I haven´t had good experiences with the brand although theorically they are very scientific and backed up.

My favourite brand is Dr Best which looks crappy and cheap but strangely enough all of their supps have worked for me, and I am the guy who has tried many pills that did not make the slightest difference.

It depends of the person and what you want to treat. For schizophrenia they use from 2 to 3 grams for example. I am going to do 2 or 1,5 grams when my supps arrive and see how it goes for sleep and energy.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I looked at the Doctors Best but it has other stuff in it which I already take and the Jarrow caps are only 500 mgs vs the 600 I'm taking now. They have a 600 mg tablet I can't take tablets unless they are really small.

I think I'll order NOW from Pureformulas. That way if I have a reaction I can return it. I have not noticed any difference with the Life Extension.

I took NOW NAC 1200mg/day for 1.5 months, with food (high protein), closer to morning, and it made a difference (clearer head). In periods of stress like antibiotics, 1800-2400mg/day. There is no way I would have noticed a 100mg difference.

I need to reorder my NAC and I'm not sure what dose to get. I have 600 mgs but I see 500 and 750?
I like the extended release from Jarrows. "NAC Sustain" I think. 600mg, and it lasts 6+ hours instead of 3 or so. It makes a big difference for me, since I use it to sleep ... if I take the regular stuff, my mind is buzzing halfway through the night, whereas the Sustain gives me a full night's sleep.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
@Tunguska, I never noticed a difference when I was taking 1200 mgs/day.

@Valentijn I bought some Now Foods, I'll look into the Sustain but there may be budget constraints. I never noticed it helping my sleep but maybe the Sustain will.

zzz0r

To all the people that are using NAC, have you noticed a difference with GABA, resveratrol and DIM instead of using NAC?

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
Just realized I was having a bad reaction to the NOW NAC so that goes back. @Valentijn does the Jarrow sustained keep you drowsy in the morning?

Also how big are the tablets? I prefer caps.

Just realized I was having a bad reaction to the NOW NAC so that goes back. @Valentijn does the Jarrow sustained keep you drowsy in the morning?

Also how big are the tablets? I prefer caps.
The NAC never makes me drowsy ... it just keeps my mind out of overdrive.

They're average sized. Not small or large. They taste fairly sour, but not nasty.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
Ok thanks. I'm kind of at my saturation point in taking stuff and to choke down a sour tablet? May send me over the edge. Is is sublingual? or do you swallow it?

Mij

I like the extended release from Jarrows. "NAC Sustain" I think. 600mg, and it lasts 6+ hours instead of 3 or so. It makes a big difference for me, since I use it to sleep ... if I take the regular stuff, my mind is buzzing halfway through the night, whereas the Sustain gives me a full night's sleep.

What time of day do you take this? thx

Odd how it affects people differently. I have to take NAC in the morning and mid-day because it has more of an energizing effect; taking at night contributes to restlessness. Analogously other people report B12 gives them energy while it helps put me to sleep. You never know what to expect

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
Amazon has the red label on subscribe and save which makes it the cheapest I've found. I had a bad reaction to the Now Foods NAC.