• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Killing Enteroviruses in Shellfish

Never Give Up

Collecting improvements, until there's a cure.
I read where Dr. Chia says that enteroviruses can be found in shellfish, any idea how to make sure that they are dead before you eat the shellfish?

alex3619

Cook them thoroughly. Raw seafood of any kind is a problem. Many parasites will be killed by pickling in lime juice, but I wouldn't risk that with a virus.

Most seafood has parasites. Not all can infect humans however. Its better to cook seafood. Places where eating raw fish is customary often has a high population of people with parasites. Lime juice is a traditional way of dealing with this, but I am unsure that the acid is sufficient. Heat permeates through any well cooked food. Viruses are vulnerable to heat.

Never Give Up

Collecting improvements, until there's a cure.
Cook them thoroughly. Raw seafood of any kind is a problem. Many parasites will be killed by pickling in lime juice, but I wouldn't risk that with a virus.

Most seafood has parasites. Not all can infect humans however. Its better to cook seafood. Places where eating raw fish is customary often has a high population of people with parasites. Lime juice is a traditional way of dealing with this, but I am unsure that the acid is sufficient. Heat permeates through any well cooked food. Viruses are vulnerable to heat.

How then do we define cooking them thoroughly?

alex3619

Use a food thermometer if in doubt. I am not sure the recommended temperature for seafood though, you might need to run a search. Most seafood however changes colour and consistency when cooked.