• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

is this a POTS thing?

Aerose91

For the past few months, while I'm sleeping (or trying to sleep) if I roll onto my back I will almost immediately get anxiety. I have to sleep on my side now. I never associated POTS with anxiety but could that be the cause?

SOC

Could it be that you are interpreting your heart pounding from tachycardia as anxiety? A lot of people do. Your heart starts pounding then your mind starts looking for something to explain it. True anxiety is a different beast.

xchocoholic

Pots stands for postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome so dx is based on symptoms that exhibit during orthostasis. So standing or sitting are triggers.

How about sleep apnea ? Not sure what else. Tc .. x

Aerose91

No I don't freak out at all when my heart beats harder, I'm so used to it. This just feels like a pure anxiety issue. Hmm, guess ill have to explore further

SOC

No I don't freak out at all when my heart beats harder, I'm so used to it. This just feels like a pure anxiety issue. Hmm, guess ill have to explore further
Have you tried an anti-anxiety agent during these episodes?

Aerose91

I haven't. Theanine seems to be the only thing I can handle without paradoxical effect so I will give that a shot

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
For the past few months, while I'm sleeping (or trying to sleep) if I roll onto my back I will almost immediately get anxiety. I have to sleep on my side now. I never associated POTS with anxiety but could that be the cause?

how is your breathing at that time? some people breathe less well on their back. if this is the case you should mention it to your doc.

Valentijn

I have to sleep on my left side, because it feels like I can't breathe in any other position, and I tend to wake up shaky and with a headache after an hour or so if I try.

After literally turning blue one night, I got a pulse oximeter. It shows that my oxygen saturation drops and my heart rate rises in any position other than my left side.

My best guess would be that oxygen deprivation and/or increased heart rate are making you feel like crap when you lie down in the problematic position. The oxygen deprivation basically causes your body to rather urgently tell you something is wrong. Anxiety isn't positional :p

Aerose91

^^ that's the best reasoning I've heard! I can buy it. Funny you say that too I usually tend to end up on my left side when I sleep.