• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Calling all daring sinus problem people!

place

Be Strong!
Ok, my sinuses were the first thing to show up and start my downward spiral. Recently, my sinuses have been wonderful.

Normally, the thick mucus can only be gotten out the front of the nose with a rinse. Sometimes it was so thick it would not come out, I would even jump on a trampoline to get it moving!

Anyways, I had been using baby shampoo ( 1 tsp. ) and it really broke up the (what i think) was biofilm. Intially, it gave me great drainage but then the "blob" move up to my frontal and the drainage stopped. I have been using the baby shampoo for 3 months at least.

Two-Three weeks ago, I added two drops of bleach (had used before with adequate success) to the mix. For the last two weeks I have had no problems with sinus for the first time since I got sick. I don't get big tablespoons worth of infected blobs out. its tinny little clear bits, no bigger than my pinky ton nail.

I did a web search for the bleach and ran across this http://www.jci.org/articles/view/70895

It seems the bleach goes into the cell and protects it from harm (if I am reading it correctly)

I'm not 100% that it is the wash but would any of you be willing to try it and post back on your experiance? It's an cost effective treatment check...

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
@place

Johnson's Baby shampoo very recently removed Formaldehyde and 1,4-dioxan from its shampoo. In a Jan 17, 2014 article in the NY Times it says:
The reformulated products are making their way to store shelves around the world and will replace existing products over the next several months.

and:

What’s different about the shampoo, and 100 other baby products sold by Johnson & Johnson, isn’t so much about what’s been added; it’s what’s missing. The products no longer contain two potentially harmful chemicals, formaldehyde and 1,4-dioxane, that have come under increasing scrutiny by consumers and environmental groups.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/18/b...uestionable-chemicals-from-products.html?_r=0

So you might want to check your label to see if you have the new or old formula.

Sushi

ahmo

iherb carries a grapefruit seed extract nasal spray. You could use GSE drops in your water. A reviewer of mangosteen caps at iherb refers to emptying 1/2 capsule on back of tongue 2x/day, to clear sinuses. My husband gried it, liked it.

Also, you can snort some probiotics. And/or empty probie capsule on back of tongue before sleep so they can migrate up, start re-populating.

Klinghardt's biofilm suggestion is clove + lemongrass oil. I've added oregano, tea tree, and eucalypt oil. The eucalypt and tea tree seem to enhance the action, probably because of the phenols. This really accelerated my detox process. You can use any combo of this, dilute it to your liking. Or make a steam tent w/ bowl of hot water, some drops into this, towel over head, and inhale. Sorry for your stuffed sinuses:(

Last edited:

place

Be Strong!
Thank you for the suggestions, but what I'm trying to say is I think I fixed my sinus problem. Wanted to know if others tried it, would it work for them?

I had a beer last night and I'm a little stuffy now. Hopefully I did not ruin it!

perchance dreamer

My ENT recommends a drop of baby shampoo in sinus rinses. Also, I second the recommendation of grapefruit seed drops. I use a couple of drops in my sinus rinse in addition to the baby shampoo and salt/baking soda solution.

Allyson

Thank you for the suggestions, but what I'm trying to say is I think I fixed my sinus problem. Wanted to know if others tried it, would it work for them?

I had a beer last night and I'm a little stuffy now. Hopefully I did not ruin it!

Did you find out the cause though - is it allergies do you think Place?

Ally

place

Be Strong!
Ally, I'm not sure. I have taken antibotics and they help, but didn't fix it (doxy for 2 years). I have taken Diflucan and it gave my clear thoughts/brain but did not fix the sinus problem.

Recently, I have been taking 1 Diflucan a week, while doing the shampooing. I have also switched to a glutten free diet. but I have done glutten free before and it did nothing to my sinuses.

The only thing new was the combo of bleach and shampoo. i'm really not sure what the cauese is. = (

manna

i used to do salt water mix administered up the nose with a teat pippette...used to get a fair bit out.

i think that the issue with feeling a blockage but getting no mucus to come out is because its an energetic block, as opposed to being physical. the colon meridian goes up either side of the nose. if the colon is functioning poorly then blocked sinuses can result. constipation can lead to blocked sinuses. even if you're having fairly regular bowel movements, you can still have a colon that has too much poorly digested and processed food/sticky mass in it, which can result in blocked sinuses

i have, on a few occasions, instantly relieved blocked sinuses, for my son, via stimulating a colon point on the hand "L.I. 4" (large intestine 4)..."dragon's mouth" i think its called. this was instant removal of the blocked feeling without extricating any phlegm at all. ive removed block sinuses, from my own nose, by using a salt inhaler. relaxing the lungs, using the inhaler, stimulates the colon meridian, which follows the lungs, and so it empties itself and relieves the sinus block. just a few other ideas

Ian

If you have persistent sinus problems you probably have an infected tooth, or infection left from an extracted tooth. Teeth in the maxilla basically sit at the sinus floor.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Chris Kresser (who I've got a lot of time for) has written about the use of Johnson's Baby Shampoo for chronic sinusitis in this very interesting article:

http://chriskresser.com/the-highly-effective-but-little-known-treatment-for-chronic-sinusitis

I'm thinking of giving it a go. I never have green mucous or gooey stuff coming out of my nose so I don't know if I'm a classic case of infectious sinusitis: but I do go crippling sinus headaches at least twice a week and facial sinus pain and have for years.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
Several years ago I had a bad reaction to chlorine bleach and have been avoiding it ever since. I have read of using hydrogen peroxide, which is also used as a bleach, in nasal rinse, but haven't tried it yet.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
So I just tried a nasal irrigation 1% solution of Johnson’s Baby Shampoo (1/2 tsp in 250 ml of water) and it was like having boiling lava shoved up my sinuses. Stopped immediately, tears of pain, instant inflammation headache – just waiting for some more boiled water to cool so I can do a usual buffered saline rinse to calm everything down.

Did I do something wrong?

Edit: actually, I didn't put the saline buffer in - I wonder if that was it?

Last edited:

perchance dreamer

Sasha, I think you used too much baby shampoo. I use 1 drop per cup of solution in my neti pot. Also, you didn't do it standalone, do you? The salt or salt/baking soda solution (I use NeilMed) is always necessary to prevent irritation, even if you are also adding something like baby shampoo or grapefruit seed extract drops.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Sasha, I think you used too much baby shampoo. I use 1 drop per cup of solution in my neti pot. Also, you didn't do it standalone, do you? The salt or salt/baking soda solution (I use NeilMed) is always necessary to prevent irritation, even if you are also adding something like baby shampoo or grapefruit seed extract drops.

Hi - yes, I did it without the buffering stuff and then wondered if that was what scuppered me. Man, it hurt! :ill:

I got the 1% figure from a published study and it described it as 'well tolerated'! But my experience wasn't borderline, it was instant agony.

Apart from today's self-inflicted episode, I haven't had a sinus headache for a week, which is when I started oil-pulling. That's a good run, for me, though obviously it's too early to tell and my sinuses are still clearly inflamed (my nose always feels a bit stuffy and I have some mild facial pain). I've been trying all sorts of stuff this week - I had six solid days of sinus headaches last week and was getting desperate.

I'll start a thread on the oil-pulling, if no-one else has.

lizw118

Place, I just posted about the Johnson's nasal rinse. Are you still doing it? Does it still work? If so, how does it work? Does it get rid of inflammation or get gunk out? thanks

Hello. Life long sinus issues here. I have found great relief with hypertonic saline solution. Several additives I have found effective are: colloidal silver (Sovereign Silver--a capful in each neti pot/each nostril)--this is not something I use every day, but definitely kills an infection if used for about 3 days (please no blue people stories--I am not ingesting this); I also use Alkalol (spelling correct; available at Walgreens)---I add this to neti pot as well---it has quite a few herbs: menthol, eucalyptus, thymol to name a few. It is very effective in clearing clogged sinuses.
Cheers,
Silverseas2014

student

When I start doing all this: The first 2- 3 days – I have tried to wash much slime of the nose out. Be prepaired – when breaking any biofilm to handle more of Herx- destrutions also. It was said that Coffey Enema has helped. This would strengthen the Liver. (May be the renals need – support after. Drinking more than 2 L before start. Plus 4g Salt / and Vitamin C each– may generaly support upper airways – for my first 2- 3 days.) Directly after rinsing: My swetting @FIR sauna after – has helped – getting my BH4 levels – see: Dr Pall.
  1. I tried Lein seed oil to rinse – probably best done befor the
  2. shampoo (for babys) / without the -formaldehyde and 1,4-dioxane, (good point.) Shampoo at skin is known to effectivly reduce the staphylococcus superinfections. But this only works done verry regularly – Minimum twice (or 3 times) daily for several (perhabs 4) month. / this is acording to my professional knolladge with scin leasions. I have not seen data with nose. When I had used oil- I want to leave oil for 7- 12 min and always try to wash out after – (said with oil-drawing @mouth: this smal residual oil – would collect metalls and poisons. So always rins carful after lokal use of oil).
3. garlic – is said to help – Univ. Zürrich Swiss quotes: the comunications – of diffrent bacteria gets best disturbed by garlic. German http://www.uzh.ch/news/articles/2006/2041.html I have not learned to use – other than eating one piece a day. But I will try my nasal aplicaion.
4. A 5 fold pestilence oil- of midle ages – is related to @thieves. Eucalypt – is part of this. Clove (and Lemon) as well – no?
6. „Citracidal“ – is my most special and well conserved Grapfruit extract (My GSE worked well against candida).