• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

KDM Tests

Hi. This has probably been posted before so forgive me if it has. I am strongly considering a visit to KDM since learning of him on this site. My question is whether to get all possible tests done if I can afford to or whether to prioritise based on my budget. For example I was reading a debate somewhere that the test for XMRA (or was it V?!) is a bit of a nicety.

I am clueless around all this stuff and can't be doing with trawling through thousands of threads so quicker just to ask!

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Hi. This has probably been posted before so forgive me if it has. I am strongly considering a visit to KDM since learning of him on this site. My question is whether to get all possible tests done if I can afford to or whether to prioritise based on my budget. For example I was reading a debate somewhere that the test for XMRA (or was it V?!) is a bit of a nicety.

I am clueless around all this stuff and can't be doing with trawling through thousands of threads so quicker just to ask!

I would not get too much testing as the chance of getting the tests that he would order for you individually, is small. You might well waste your money. Most of the tests he would order are from specialty labs (except things like a complete CBC which you could get beforehand) so your doctor would probably not even be able to order them.

XMRV is dead in the water! No one tests for it anymore.

Best,
Sushi

Cool thanks @Sushi. But would you recommend getting all the tests KDM performs done, or is it not really optional anyway?

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Cool thanks @Sushi. But would you recommend getting all the tests KDM performs done, or is it not really optional anyway?

He doesn't do the same tests for every patient--they are tailored to each individual. After a consult with a patient, reviewing their medical history and often performing a physical exam, he will recommend the tests he thinks are needed to clarify the clinical picture. A nurse will go over his suggestions with the patient and help prioritize them.

You are free to say no to any that you feel you can't afford, but he will be looking for certain things in each individual so most of us follow his testing recommendations.

Best,
Sushi

Right - that makes sense. Thanks for asking my plethora of questions Sushi. Have a feeling there'll be a few more!!

Valentijn

@yabeeb - After testing based on symptoms and such, I came up weakly positive for Lyme. So he ordered a few more tests for some of the common co-infections transmitted by the same ticks. Though maybe he would have ordered those in the first batch of tests, if he'd known I'd been bitten dozens of times 20 years ago :p