• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Cognitive PEM Question

Never Give Up

Collecting improvements, until there's a cure.
When PEM is caused by cognitive exertion is the malaise necessarily exhaustion or can it be cognitive impairment?

Thank you.

manna

strangely, or not, for me, if i over do it, my mind becomes more active and racey, mixed with annoyance...not at overdoing it but just as a feeling caused from using up and becoming depleted of some kind of emotional/mental buffer.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
For me it is both - but I get definitely more 'brain' symptoms from PEM caused by overdoing. Although I can still wake up with the aching joints and hit by a truck feeling as well.

peggy-sue

Brain exertion causes mental PEM,
Physical exertion causes physical PEM,

except when physical exertion causes mental PEM and mental exertion causes brain PEM,

just to confuse me.:rolleyes:

I even find if something exceptionally good and happy happens, I get a rebound downer a couple of weeks later, just to let me know this Damned Disease is still in charge.

SOC

When PEM is caused by cognitive exertion is the malaise necessarily exhaustion or can it be cognitive impairment?

Thank you.
For daughter and I mental exertion can cause mental exhaustion, cognitive dysfunction AND physical exhaustion, although the cognitive dysfunction comes first. Sometimes we don't get the physical exhaustion if we stop the mental exertion soon enough.

My explanation to 'normals' has always been 'Whatever I use, I lose.' If i can't be bothered to stretch further than a sentence, thats the one they get to explain the ME.

Physical activity = physical PEM with a dash of cognitive PEM depending on the activity. (Tolerable to an extent)

Mental Activity = cognitive impairment and mental PEM with emotional fragility or a short fuse. At worst; vegetative state with thoughts switched off. No physical PEM, but, because of the brain impairment, physical activity is switched off too, so everything is lost. (Mental PEM not remotely tolerable and downright soul destroying)

So its better to knack myself up with physical activity over mental activity because without the brain, there's nothing. Definitely for me, cognitive activity leads to cognitive impairment AND mental exhaustion :ill:

Never Give Up

Collecting improvements, until there's a cure.
Thank you for your replies.

What is the difference between cognitive and mental PEM?

I'm guessing everyone thinks of it slightly different, for me cognitive impairment is short term memory problems, difficulty speaking or finishing sentences, muddling words, forgetting how to do routine things, difficulty typing, unable to read, write or watch tv etc.

Mental PEM for me is mental exhaustion, slipping into trances, inability to stay awake, lack of emotional buffer, not enough mental energy to think properly, sense of humour partially 'switched off' like a robot.

Last edited:

SOC

I'm guessing everyone thinks of it slightly different, for me cognitive impairment is short term memory problems, difficulty speaking or finishing sentences, muddling words, forgetting how to do routine things, difficulty typing, unable to read, write or watch tv etc.

Mental PEM for me is mental exhaustion, slipping into trances, inability to stay awake, lack of emotional buffer, not enough mental energy to think properly, sense of humour partially 'switched off' like a robot.
That's pretty close to how it is for me, too.

soxfan

For me the cognitive PEM is so much worse. When I was working I would come home so wiped out I would have to immediately lay down for hours. It would then turn to just a complete exhaustion feeling. I could still think and do anything mentally but I would have total overall body fatigue.
The things that can cause this for me are social stimulation...shopping...talking on phone...or anything that makes me emotional. It will sap me immediately.

I continued to work part time because I really needed the social contact and I really loved my job even though I knew I would be suffering after my shift.

I can always feel this happening but usually by then it is too late even if I stopped.

I never feel the need to actually sleep when this happens but I do need to lay down in a dark room with my eyes closed and even then I usually don't feel well again till the next morning after I have a night's rest. Sometimes it will last longer...

My PEM usually happens immediately but occasionally it will occur the following day....