• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Pollen! is ruining my sleep. What to do?

Dreambirdie

work in progress
Spring is my season of torture. :ill::ill::ill::aghhh::aghhh::aghhh::aghhh::aghhh::aghhh:

Pollen is hell on me. I had been taking mega doses of Isoquercitrin, which until this week had been helping my brain inflamed/neuro-wired symptoms. Then it stopped working.... damn! :grumpy: so I started taking pycnogenol in fairly high doses (5 pills at leat 4X/day), and for a while that worked.

But the last two days were so **HOT** that I left the house and went to the beach, and being outdoors was no match for either of these supps. So now I am back in the house with my air filter blazing, waiting for all the damn plants to finish their mass orgy, so I can get some bearably decent sleep again. Last night was an insomnia marathon. HATE THAT!

Remind me... someone... what else is these that helps alleviate the severe inflammatory reaction caused by pollen allergies? I want a gallon of it....now.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
@Dreambirdie
sounds like hell.....I only know of antihistamines, there are so many though and all have different effects on different people, I guess you've tried every one on the market though:(
there is a product on sale here in the UK - its like a beeswax and you smear it up your nose, it traps the pollen before it gets into your sinuses, but that still leaves your mouth and eyes, mask and goggles are not a good look for the beach.
Funny isn't it I would have thought the beach was a good place to be away from the trees etc, but maybe not in the US.
hope the hell stops soon.

xchocoholic

Zinc 50 mg daily and 1/4-1/2 tsp Walgreens children's dye free benadryl at bedtime and maybe once during the day work for me as long as I don't get covered in pollen. Taking a shower helps if I've been exposed to heavy pollen.

We just completed pollen season here. Whew ! Hope yours ends soon. Tc . X

PS. I tried other allergy meds but this one works best for me. I keep it in my mouth as long as possible so my body absorbs it there. Seems to work better than swallowing a pill.

Last edited:

Dreambirdie

work in progress
Did you try the rosmarinic acid last year?

I have some. How much to take?

@xchocoholic
I don't tolerate benadryl at all...it makes me worse. And zinc doesn't work either.

@maryb The beach is good ONLY when we have an on shore flow, otherwise the air comes from inland carrying the pollen, like yesterday. I am rinsing with salt water. Hopefully that will help in time.

Ema

I have some. How much to take?

@xchocoholic
I don't tolerate benadryl at all...it makes me worse. And zinc doesn't work either.

@maryb The beach is good ONLY when we have an on shore flow, otherwise the air comes from inland carrying the pollen, like yesterday. I am rinsing with salt water. Hopefully that will help in time.
I have seen doses ranging from 50 to 500 mg, twice a day of rosmarinic acid. I guess start low and see what happens?

It's miserable here too. :(. Stupid trees.

boohealth

The good fish oil helped me...you can also gather the blossoms and tree pollens and make a tincture with everclear for next year (eye of the dog). There is some standard process supplement too, with liver in it, that supposedly works.

Ema

The good fish oil helped me...you can also gather the blossoms and tree pollens and make a tincture with everclear for next year (eye of the dog). There is some standard process supplement too, with liver in it, that supposedly works.
Antronex.

It never worked for me but worth a try.

Dreambirdie

work in progress
Staying inside all day with the doors taped shut, and doing the shotgun supplement method by taking EVERYTHING I have in fairly high doses (isoquercitrin, pycnogenol, rosmarinc acid, curcumin, and Chinese herbs) seems to be helping for now. Not that my stomach is too fond of all this, but it doesn't have a vote right now.

The pollen count for tree pollen should start going down in the next couple weeks, as the count for grasses goes up.That's usually easier for me to hadle. It's the trees that do me in.

Cheesus

Vitamin C at high doses (can't remember what, you would have to check) reduces histamine.

Have you also tried a humidifier in addition to your purifier? I think the idea is the water droplets condense on the pollen and they fall under the weight. I am not sure if this is actually a thing or is only a function of my imagination.

peggy-sue

It might be your imagination, but it would work, Cheseus!

All I can suggest is smearing vaseline around your nose, to catch it before you snort it in. It works the same way as the proprietary stuff.

We've got all the oil-seed rape coming up here. That's my nightmare. I had no problems at all until the farmers got subsidised for growing the vile stuff, now it's EVERYWHERE. It even grows as a weed in my garden.

It's misery, I hope you feel a lot better soon.

Dreambirdie

work in progress
@Ema Yeah, I have thought about DAO. It's used primarily for food allergies, but maybe it could work for pollen allergies as well. Have you ever used it for that?

An FB friend also suggested Lutimax and moringa... which are anti-inflammatory, and which I think could be helpful since inflammation is the main issue when I have allergies.

I wish there was a way to buy 6 capsules of each, as I already have a cabinet full of supps that either didn't work or made me feel worse. I hate collecting more.

Ema

@Ema Yeah, I have thought about DAO. It's used primarily for food allergies, but maybe it could work for pollen allergies as well. Have you ever used it for that?

An FB friend also suggested Lutimax and moringa... which are anti-inflammatory, and which I think could be helpful since inflammation is the main issue when I have allergies.

I wish there was a way to buy 6 capsules of each, as I already have a cabinet full of supps that either didn't work or made me feel worse. I hate collecting more.

I did try DAO and didn't notice much benefit from it. If I had any left over, I would send it to you! But maybe low DAO enzyme isn't my problem...and there seem to be quite a few people who do benefit from it. I think it might be worth a try.

The Swanson product also has a lot more active ingredient than the Histame (which is what I took).

I think we should start a thread where we post pics of our failed supplement supplies. I'm using the second walk in closet in my bathroom as a repository...and it is getting scarily full! Wish there was a better way to pass them along...I have such a hard time just throwing them away.

Ema

@Ema
in addition to photos we should post what the cost of them add up to????????? now that would be scary
Unfortunately, hope is priceless. And I get a little bit of it each time I buy something new...unfortunately, usually short lived. I need a 12 step group for supplement addicts, obviously, or should just buy something useful like shoes. :)

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Unfortunately, hope is priceless. And I get a little bit of it each time I buy something new...unfortunately, usually short lived. I need a 12 step group for supplement addicts, obviously, or should just buy something useful like shoes. :)

You know that's so true - I too think every time - maybe this one will..........
and yes shoes are a good idea, now if only the soles of my feet weren't killing me:(