• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How many more times can I be wrong? Now it's gluten and dairy.

brenda

Actually I would be pleased if someone pointed out something I was making mistakes over regarding my health so I could correct it. Its not judging its telling the truth. A wholesome natural diet is only one step in healing the body but it is a vital one.

Seven7

Seven
@SOC I tried Gluten free and thought it didn't work for me because most that taste good is brown rice based and I am allergic to rice too!!!! And like you, I didn't show gut problems, I get inflammation and joint pains!

I hope you did a whole food allergy panel. Good luck.

vamah

Actually I would be pleased if someone pointed out something I was making mistakes over regarding my health so I could correct it. Its not judging its telling the truth. A wholesome natural diet is only one step in healing the body but it is a vital one.
It is not judging to say that unprocessed foods are, generally, healthier than processed ones. It is judging to say that people wouldn't need to be on medications if they ate the same way you do. It is judging to say a certain way of eating is "wrong" just because it is not what you have found is best for you. That is the difference.

You're assuming that your experience is applicable to everyone. It isn't, not even remotely.

Some people can't tolerate meats for various reasons, some can't tolerate certain grains, some can't tolerate most veggies, some can't handle fruit or dairy. Some people need certain foods in their diet to be a bit more functional, and some have diminished options due to disability and finances.

You don't have the answers for everybody, about anything. Please stop your negativity toward people who have to do things differently.

PennyIA

I did come in here to share my success with going gluten free (though I still have a LOOOONG way to go) and give a second vote for Daiya for cheese.

FWIW - my diet runs as gluten free, dairy free, low soy, and nothing fried nor greasy (I feel for the poster having issues with gall bladder -my attacks were misdiagnosed and it wasn't until it was almost too late that they figured out what was wrong - ended up now I can't tolerate any heavy fats).

AND I have trouble with my teeth, so I frequently have to switch to a liquid, easy to chew set of meals.

Add the NO energy and as much as I'd love to eat whole foods and nothing but yummy home cooked meats and home grown and cooked veggies? It doesn't happen when you are ill, a single mom and working full time. If I couldn't have any convenience food? My son and I would starve or go broke trying to eat at restaraunts.

We do juicing a lot.
We do nutricion shakes with some of our supplements.
Udi's has AMAZING gf frozen muffins if you need 'something' that has that 'chew' that bread, other baked goods need (no idea of it's DF, but it doesn't trigger my overly sensitive dairy trigger - so it's close enough for us).
Soft Baked cookies are my other 'treat splurge'
Bob's Red Mills are my favorite mixes for baking
Daiya cheese was the only cheese I could tolerate and actually like
My alternative for pizza is to take hamburger, mushrooms, onions, toss them into a baking dish, top with pizza sauce & daiya mozzarella shredds and roast for five minutes in my toaster oven. No crust, lots of meats and veggies, drowned in sauce & "cheese" ... and it 'cuts the craving'.

I have increased my whole grain brown rice intake, but I have it like three times a week... so it should still be low enough to manage. Legumes - in my chili and chicken tortilla soup are good for filling up some of the gluten cravings. As well as potatoes... At least once a week, sometimes two - I have a big backed potato stuffed with chili.

Now, if I could only find a decent cracker - I don't like most of the nut-based ones... but got 7 Ancient Grains the other day on a recommendation. Haven't tried it yet.

Oh, and a decent gf pasta that I like AND that reheats well. I don't like quinoa nor corn-based pastas. And the rice based pasta turns to mush.

PennyIA

Oh, and.... I was dairy free for years because I've always had gut issues with it. But I was the one saying... I can't possibly need to go gf. My gf issues are related to inflammation and pain as well. And it was at the six week gf free mark when I tried gluten again - got severe inflammation.... did another six week gf, tried gluten again - same response. I was pretty upset... I was SOOO sure that the first experiment was a fluke. And in fact, had forgotten I had 'cheated' when I started wondering why on earth my pain had gotten so much worse... always within about 30-60 minutes post-cheat. Sigh. GF,DF it is.

SOC

Junk food is not a diet - it is just a recipe for disaster. Whole grains soaked and then sprouted is the healthy way to eat carbs.

It has been quite an eye opener to read this thread. No wonder some here are on medications. Do your bodies a favour and eat real food and you won't need to medicate..

Oh, really? So you're completely cured of ME and have no other health issues? Your "eating from the garden" has eliminated all the health problems that people are treating with medications, like immune dysfunction, genetic abnormalities, pathogens and OI?

You really ought to write a book.

Junk food is not a diet - it is just a recipe for disaster. Whole grains soaked and then sprouted is the healthy way to eat carbs.

It has been quite an eye opener to read this thread. No wonder some here are on medications. Do your bodies a favour and eat real food and you won't need to medicate..

And for those of us who totally cleaned up our diets and still remain ill and on medications?

Please realize that not all people have the resources to eat 'real' food. Some don't have gardens, some are on limited incomes and can only afford to eat limited amounts of fresh foods due to cost, some are in such poor health that they can't even prepare meals -- the list goes on and on. I think we all do what we can.

It's also a fallacy that eating 'real food' necessarily means you won't need medications. I am sure somebody with Parkinson's/AIDs/Cancer etc etc etc won't be able to throw away their meds after eating a wholesome nutritious diet. You seem to be suggesting fault here -- you wouldn't have to be on medications if you would just eat properly. Well what if we can't, or don't have the means to do so?

Further reading convinced me that there really is a big bad four, namely, casein, gluten, soy, and corn. I do my best to avoid all four with few exceptions.

Same here, and peanuts are nearly as bad as soy. They are both legumes. (Peanuts are not like other nuts.) I react to soy and peanuts and at least one other legume.

Pizza Hut does make a GF crust. Some stores may not have it but it seems to be nationwide. Domino's in some areas makes GF crust. (You are taking a chance of cross contamination with any restaurant or fast food place.) I don't think they have dairy-free cheese at those places.

So Delicious coconut milk yogurt, ice "creme" and other products are really good.

These are nice alternatives, but one cautionary note: anyone with IBS symptoms should try avoiding guar gum :cry:. I think the same problem can be had with locust bean gum, xantham gum, and others found in GF foods.

Pamela's cookies are good

They are great. I would eat way too many (and I gave them up). I only recommend them as a treat or if you can keep yourself from eating them all the time.

brenda

I guess l just have a different mindset. I find a natural means of treating symptoms and don't accept that anything cannot be cured or put into remission given time. I do not depend entirely on food and use herbs, rife etc. If l had cancer l would expect to be able to cure that. I have heard of people with all sorts of things heal themselves and they will all say work to get off meds if you want to do it too.

maddietod

SOC

I guess l just have a different mindset. I find a natural means of treating symptoms and don't accept that anything cannot be cured or put into remission given time. I do not depend entirely on food and use herbs, rife etc. If l had cancer l would expect to be able to cure that. I have heard of people with all sorts of things heal themselves and they will all say work to get off meds if you want to do it too.
That's a nice belief system you have. Interesting that you believe your methods will cure anything.... eventually. My parents didn't believe in using medications, either. My mom died early and in pain, but hey, she was satisfied with her belief system right up to the end. Belief is a wonderful thing, in its way.

I prefer science and evidence. I've more than "heard of people with all sorts of things heal themselves". I know many, many people who have been cured of all kinds of different ailments using medications. Knowledge trumps hearsay, imo.

You're welcome to your happy little belief that "given time" your "natural ways of treating symptoms" will cure your illness. Good luck with that. I'll stick to the medications that already have eliminated many of my symptoms and vastly improved my quality of life. You can wait for your "given time". It's your life.

GracieJ

All well and good, @brenda , and I agree with all you say. It is truly possible.

BUT. It is not the entire answer. I have used natural medicine and diet for over 30 years now and still have a long way to go to be completely healed and healthy. I believe it is financial barriers sometimes, energy healing needed other times (a whole other topic I save for blogs and other sites), a megadose of biochemical natural other times.

Whatever "the answer" the key always has to fit the lock, and each person's puzzle and resources and support systems all vary, not to mention beliefs and trust and other variables. Some are under individual control, some are not. Solving these things is the journey itself.

I agree with what @Kina had to say as well.

We all need compassion, understanding, and tolerance on a very difficult journey, one not socially recognized or sanctioned.

vamah

Re: crackers, Nabisco now has rice thins crackers that aren't bad and are carried at the big name grocey stores. They are light and crisp, which I like better than the thick way that "healthy" crackers usually are. They are also nice and salty, which is a must for me.

If you don't like the packaged gf flour, I've seen a number of websites with recipes to make your own mixes. Vitacost has the various flours like potato and tapioca starch. I found some good kosher for Passover dessert recipes that are gluten free. Wheat flour is not kosher for Passover so they use things like potato starch and almond flour. They also tend to be dairy free, as people who keep kosher don't eat meat and milk in same meal.

brenda

Well let's just wait and see how the raw vegan thread goes. People have healed from all sorts of things on it especially type 2 diabetes. SOC l think you are talking about suppression of symptoms which is not the same as healing. I know l would not be alive today if l had depended on medications. None for 15 years now but will be making an exception for rectal Nystatin for the candida flare l have as well as using rife which l have had a lot of success with recently. It was due to running emotional healing frequencies that l found l have Aspergers. I'm not judging, l was forced into finding a better way.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Well let's just wait and see how the raw vegan thread goes. People have healed from all sorts of things on it especially type 2 diabetes. SOC l think you are talking about suppression of symptoms which is not the same as healing. I know l would not be alive today if l had depended on medications. None for 15 years now but will be making an exception for rectal Nystatin for the candida flare l have as well as using rife which l have had a lot of success with recently. It was due to running emotional healing frequencies that l found l have Aspergers. I'm not judging, l was forced into finding a better way.

Brenda,

Maybe it would work better to discuss your experience on a different thread as this one is about helping a member find ways to eat a nourishing and satisfying diet while avoiding gluten and dairy.

Best,
Sushi

brenda

Just a quick last word if anyone has not seen what I have written elsewhere - and surely the purpose of eating a GFDF diet is to improve heath - I was on 12 medications including those for asthma and came off them all within a year which I believe saved my life along with eating GFDF but with real food not fake food. That's it I'm done here.

taniaaust1

Almond meal is good to bake with and used as a flour substitute, also low carb. Lots of recipes online.

Almonds are also great for making almond milk and then using it to make dairy free icecream which is soo yummy! (thou I only made it once, I'd love to get an icecream maker so I can make it all the time).