• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Cannot tolerate B-complex

About a month ago I read about Freddd's protocol and decided to try it, hoping it would solve the mitochondrial part of my problem. But I'm having a problem even starting with vitamin B complex.
I tossed out my multivitamin (it contained folic acid) and replaced it with Douglas Laboratories B-Complex. I intended to take 1/2 capsule per day which would be 200mcg of folate, 25mg of B1, 10mg ob B2, 25mg of B3, 10mg of B6, 250mcg of mB12, 150mcg of biotin, 25mg of B5, 10mg of Intrinsic Factor.
The first time I took only half of this (1/4 of the capsule) and had severe cramps, diarrhea and nausea. I felt so ill that I called my sister to come over just in case I passed out (I live alone). After a week I tried taking just 1/10th of the capsule each day. It was OK for a few days, but then I got the cramps and diarrhea again, though the pain was not as nauseating as the first time. Any ideas what could be causing this or how to proceed?

I never took folate or Intrinsic Factor before. I have taken the rest before without problems, though most of them in lesser dosages.

Martial

I think it sounds like it could be potassium depletion from the methylation supps in the b vitamin (Folate, methyl B12). Maybe try and use potassium powder supplementation and stick with a high potassium diet and see how you feel? Now brandname sells the powder supplement and is your best bet, the pill forms of potassium don't go above 99mg per pill. You want at least 300mg minimum for each serving, I use about 900mg three times a day, alongside a potassium rich diet, also while keeping salt in good amounts to balance things. No table salt though, just sea salt with no preservatives, or salty foods.

It is strange because the potassium demand can happen whether the dose you take is 250mcg or 10,000mcg folate, b12.. Though obviously the demand gets higher with the greater doses.. Strangely though not by much it is still strongly depleted from even smaller doses, if this is indeed what is happening in your case.. The Cramps and nausea are a big clue of hypokalemia, along with migraines, weakness, and other things if you get those too.

Thanks Martial, somehow I didn't think that this low dose could be enough to trigger hypokalemia. Wow that is a lot of potassium! Even eating one banana used to cause weakness, and I do feel better when eating lots of salt. But I guess it's time to start supplementing now.

Martial

Thanks Martial, somehow I didn't think that this low dose could be enough to trigger hypokalemia. Wow that is a lot of potassium! Even eating one banana used to cause weakness, and I do feel better when eating lots of salt. But I guess it's time to start supplementing now.

eating a banana caused weakness? how is your kidney and liver health? have you gotten any blood tests recently that show your potassium ranges? among other things such as magnesium, CBC, Salt, and all the other stuff?

I used supplementation and a high potassium diet to avoid hypokalemia, however hyperkalemia is another issue with the exact same side effects from getting too much potassium.. This is very rare without supplementation unless a person has an underlying disorder that is causing them to hold onto too much. Always talk to your doctor before starting supplementation of any kind!

If you are feeling weak from a banana it is possible that you have issues in holding onto potassium and that is dangerous with additional supplementation, it can also be an effect from adrenal fatigue/hpa dysfunction where you can not tolerate potassium in general very well..

I am not a doctor though so please get all of those things checked out before doing things yourself! Yeah it does seem pretty low dose but you would be surprised, people get all kinds of reactions to even the smallest amounts. Methylation mutations come into play here a lot though, have you ever been tested for genetic mutations via 23andME?

I think MTHFR.NET would be worth checking out and running a test to see what kind of things you could be dealing with!

By weakness I meant my fatigue worsened and I got more dizzy. My potassium was within normal limits. That was five years ago and my adrenals seem to be doing much better now, but I have no idea about my current potassium levels. I don't think my doctor would be of much help with regard to supplementation ;) I'll get my levels checked just in case.
I haven't done genetic testing. Shipping would cost me just as much as the test and I'm not convinced it's worth it... after all the genes only tell us what could be happening, not what is happening, right?

Martial

By weakness I meant my fatigue worsened and I got more dizzy. My potassium was within normal limits. That was five years ago and my adrenals seem to be doing much better now, but I have no idea about my current potassium levels. I don't think my doctor would be of much help with regard to supplementation ;) I'll get my levels checked just in case.
I haven't done genetic testing. Shipping would cost me just as much as the test and I'm not convinced it's worth it... after all the genes only tell us what could be happening, not what is happening, right?

Oh okay I thought you meant measurable muscle weakness, well that's good.. Yeah I just feel its a good idea to get a clear before starting new stuff, generally supplemental potassium wil not cause people problems in normal doses, keep in mind the RDV alone is 4,000mg. Though you never want to take too much at once as it is hard on the stomach.. In the case of diabetes or other illnesses that can cause kidney dysfunction you would definitely want to get checked out before using potassium. I mentioned magnesium too because if you are low on magnesium then your body will not hold onto potassium no matter how much you take it..

I think you will do well though, no doubt! :)

Thanks for reminding me of magnesium as well... there is something wrong there, I know it. I'll report back when I get lab results (I have a doctor appointment tomorrow and I'm hoping to convince her to order the tests :) ) Thanks for your help!