• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How much potassium do you take?

girlfromeurope

Hi I was wondering how much potassium everybody is taking with methylation supplements.

The reason why I ask this is because I'm having huge issues with this for months.
I had methylation going and had low potassium so I stopped.
Months after that I supplemented b12 and methylfolate again but it didn't seem to work anymore and I didn't got the low potassium I usually had with the b12.

But whenever I take b2 I do get low potassium , but the problem is I don't respond to potassium supplementation, it often makes me even worse.

I know I have potassium deficiency because a couple of days after I felt I had a potassium drop my potassium was 3.7.

Maybe somebody knows what the problem is , or else just say how much potassium you are taking :)

Last edited:

whodathunkit

Do you have adrenal problems? How's your salt intake? Potassium and salt need to be balanced and people with adrenal problem need more sodium to balance potassium than others.

I was having a bit of a problem with being depressed recently, too, due to some dental surgery I had. I upped my salt intake, which helped correct my mood. I've been salt loading for several years because of adrenal problems but had let the salt consumption slide somewhat because I didn't seem to need as much as I used to. My recent dental surgery seemed to crash my adrenals a bit, though, and upping the intake has helped.

Might want to try a bit of extra salt for a few days and see how you do. Sodium is not the devil for most people that mainstream medicine would lead us to believe, and I think many of us just don't get enough of it.

My understanding is that mb12 and methlyfolate are absolutely crucial for starting methylation so you might also want to consider starting those again. Very slowly.

tdog333

Yes definitely make sure your using sea salt and not table salt.
I have the same issue I think, I just got my potassium level checked, I'll post results when I get them. I've had really bad muscle spasms and weakness

ahmo

I'm typically using 3 gm K+ AM/PM, w/ 600mg Mg Citrate. I dose according to self-testing. K+ and Mg tend to be closely linked for me, when I need more of one, I generally need more of the other. When I'm detoxxing, I need lot's more of both, as well as extra zinc, selenium. I'm currently taking 19 mg Mfolate, 21mg MB12. Before I shifted from high-dose to low dose B complex, I needed a LOT of extra K+. I now take 12mg Bcomplex 2x a day, so about 25mg Bs.

Afraid I can't bring any understanding to your problems here, sorry. ahmo

tdog333

I'm typically using 3 gm K+ AM/PM, w/ 600mg Mg Citrate. I dose according to self-testing. K+ and Mg tend to be closely linked for me, when I need more of one, I generally need more of the other. When I'm detoxxing, I need lot's more of both, as well as extra zinc, selenium. I'm currently taking 19 mg Mfolate, 21mg MB12. Before I shifted from high-dose to low dose B complex, I needed a LOT of extra K+. I now take 12mg Bcomplex 2x a day, so about 25mg Bs.

Afraid I can't bring any understanding to your problems here, sorry. ahmo

@ahmo 3 Grams morning and 3 Grams night, or 1.5 morning 1.5 night?

ahmo

Yes, 3 gm Am and PM. Sounds a lot. But I'm finally not lurching from crisis to crisis, much of which, I now know, was due to K+ deficiency. I've contemplated getting a MediAlert bracelet for K+, but for now just have a note in a key tag, on my bag. In the earlier years of my ME/CFS, before I was on the B12/folate protocol, I suffered hugely from breathlessness, feeling like I was about to faint, inability to reliably walk a block. I only understood much later these were from low K+. I started w/ NOW K+ gluconate, switched a couple months ago to K+chloride to see if my costs went down, but am now resuming K+ Gluconate as easier on the body. Also, I take my K+, other minerals, aminos by footbath, unless I need extra during the day/night. I've found this to be easier on my gut, and I don't use any more than I did when using orally. I'd never have been able to take the K+chloride by mouth!

*GG*

Yes definitely make sure your using sea salt and not table salt.
I have the same issue I think, I just got my potassium level checked, I'll post results when I get them. I've had really bad muscle spasms and weakness

Why is table salt so bad if you use both? Isn't it a good source for iodine?

GG

tdog333

Most common table salt is made up of chemicals that pollute your body and wreak havoc on your health. Healthy natural salts contain no toxins and over 84 minerals and elements necessary for your optimal health, i.e. Celtic (Nature's Cargo in Canada) and Himalayan.

Your table salt is actually 97.5% sodium chloride and 2.5% chemicals such as moisture absorbents, and iodine. Dried at over 1,200 degrees Fahrenheit, the excessive heat alters the natural chemical structure of the salt causing the potential for a myriad of health problems in your body.

As a food, table salt is absolutely useless, and can potentially act as a destructive poison. In order for your body to try to metabolize table salt crystals, it must sacrifice tremendous amounts of energy.
http://www.healingnaturallybybee.com/articles/salt6.php
http://www.servicefoods.com/my_health_info/the_health_dangers_of_processed_salts.pdf

Contrary to popular belief, table salt is not just sodium chloride. It also contains additives that are designed to make it more free-flowing. Ferrocyanide, talc, and silica aluminate are commonly included. Aluminum intake leads to neurological disorders, particularly when no selenium is provided to help the body to chelate it. Aluminum bio-accumulates inside the body, causing further degeneration over time. Talc is a known carcinogen, though its effects upon ingestion have not been heavily studied. While it was once used in baby powders, the majority of such products now use cornstarch instead of talc, because of the known health risks. The F.D.A. has a special provision to allow talc in table salt, even whilst it is prohibited in all other foods, due to toxicity issues. According to current regulations, table salt can be up to 2% talc.
http://healthwyze.org/index.php/com...out-table-salt-and-the-chemical-industry.html

I use iodoral and J.Crew brands of Iodine, both work great

Martial

Yes, 3 gm Am and PM. Sounds a lot. But I'm finally not lurching from crisis to crisis, much of which, I now know, was due to K+ deficiency. I've contemplated getting a MediAlert bracelet for K+, but for now just have a note in a key tag, on my bag. In the earlier years of my ME/CFS, before I was on the B12/folate protocol, I suffered hugely from breathlessness, feeling like I was about to faint, inability to reliably walk a block. I only understood much later these were from low K+. I started w/ NOW K+ gluconate, switched a couple months ago to K+chloride to see if my costs went down, but am now resuming K+ Gluconate as easier on the body. Also, I take my K+, other minerals, aminos by footbath, unless I need extra during the day/night. I've found this to be easier on my gut, and I don't use any more than I did when using orally. I'd never have been able to take the K+chloride by mouth!

Oh god I need to switch to gluconate too, or the other version.. The potassium chloride burns like hell sometimes, no matter how much water I take it with. I only had found this version at the local supplement market so need to order it. Forgot that this could be potentially an issue as that chloride could be causing damage.

I take around 3000mg of supplemental form, and high potassium diet, don't eat a lot of salt though. I am on a paleo style diet, perhaps I should get some sea salt, or Himalayan salt though. I still can get symptoms even with 3000 supplemental.

Keep in mind people that the rdv for potassium is 4000mg, this is the standard dose! So it takes a lot of potassium to over do things, however always play it safe!

I take 10mg methyl b12, 10mg adeno b12, and 10mg methyl folate, alongside 1000mg of carnatine. The de toxing can suck sometimes but I have found it over all hugely necessary for recovery. I also take a thorne complex b vitamin once a day, and supplemented extra P5P and Niacin if needed. Along with all the other standard multi nutrients and vitamins necessary for balance.

@girlfromeurope It could be de tox, I feel horrible on the protocol sometimes but its because I have an underlying infection that it is helping clear out, it can exaggerate my symptoms at times as well but over all very helpful so I just ride it out..

Keep that in mind because you could be doing everything right and it could just be de tox like mine!

hope this helps!

Todd

Martial

Maybe I'm just overdoing the potassium.
If I take more than 300 mg in 2 hours I start to feel worse.

That is not much potassium to be overdoing things, again the rdv is 4000 and thats for basic nutrient requirements. I would never take more then 1000mg at a time in supplemental form though.

I don't know what your other underlying health issues are but for people with toxins in the system, too much heavy metals, mycotoxins from mold, lyme, etc. The Methylation will flush this stuff out of the system and create an inflammatory response in the process while it is being cleared out at times, hence "de tox" lol.

How much supplemental potassium were you taking before with methylation, and how much total do you take in a day now? What were the doses of the b vitamins you take now?

Are you supplementing magnesium or possibly deficient?

girlfromeurope

I know it's not much but I have adrenal fatigue.
I can overdo potassium very quickly because of low aldosterone. That makes the protocol very difficult for me because of the potassium supplementation.
I take a low dose of b vitamins, about 10 mg each and I take magnesium everyday.
Thanks for your help.

Seven7

Seven
I know it's not much but I have adrenal fatigue.
I can overdo potassium very quickly because of low aldosterone. That makes the protocol very difficult for me because of the potassium supplementation.
I take a low dose of b vitamins, about 10 mg each and I take magnesium everyday.
Thanks for your help.
Do u take florinef to raise aldosterone?

A year ago my salivary adrenal profile showed my cortisol to be almost flatlining. I was put on Cortef and started at 25 mg per day. Through the year I worked on methylation, putting right Lithium depletion and VERY slowly adding in folate. Gradually weaned off the Cortef. Recently repeated the adrenal profile and my cortisol is now pretty much normal....except maybe a bit high at night. BIG improvement. My secretory IgA has improved and I no longer have antibodies to gluten. Still have a long way to go, I know..... I still detox a lot with the folate and still need 300-600 mg potassium each morning after my morning dose of folate, and maybe need to repeat this later in the morning and at night. My clues for needing potassium are sudden worsening fatigue, thumping heart and muscle cramps in my feet.
So, all round, a lot of clues that I am starting to mend.

girlfromeurope

A year ago my salivary adrenal profile showed my cortisol to be almost flatlining. I was put on Cortef and started at 25 mg per day. Through the year I worked on methylation, putting right Lithium depletion and VERY slowly adding in folate. Gradually weaned off the Cortef. Recently repeated the adrenal profile and my cortisol is now pretty much normal....except maybe a bit high at night. BIG improvement. My secretory IgA has improved and I no longer have antibodies to gluten. Still have a long way to go, I know..... I still detox a lot with the folate and still need 300-600 mg potassium each morning after my morning dose of folate, and maybe need to repeat this later in the morning and at night. My clues for needing potassium are sudden worsening fatigue, thumping heart and muscle cramps in my feet.
So, all round, a lot of clues that I am starting to mend.
Hi, I'm glad to hear you are getting better.
So you don't need more than 600 mg/day potassium most of the time?
I think I'm better off with lower doses potassium too.
Some people here are taking 3000 mg.

Hi, I'm glad to hear you are getting better.
So you don't need more than 600 mg/day potassium most of the time?
I think I'm better off with lower doses potassium too.
Some people here are taking 3000 mg.
No, I take 300-600mg one to four times a day, depending on symptoms. On average I would say it is a couple of times in the morning and at night.

Gondwanaland

How do you dose the K gluconate for the foot bath? I want to try that, my K gluconate just came in the mail. Should I use it pure or with Na bicarbonate added?
My latest blood results from when I went to the ER with breathlessness during a paradoxical folate defficiency were
(March 29) Na 144 (136 -145 mmol/L)
(March 29) K 5,1 (3,5 - 5,1 mmol/L)
(April 11) Mg 2,3 (de 1,6 - 2,3 mg/dL)
izzy