• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

any experience with diflucan?

Aerose91

I've the past two years I have been put.on nystatin twice and fluconazole once for candida but it still seems to be there in tests. I can't totally explain this because my diet is so clean and low on sugar (zero sugar) but it's still there, yet.

My doctor wants to put me on Diflucan now and see if that helps. I don't really have any huge expectations for this but if it can help alleviate one road block that would be good.

tdog333

Are you eating any carbs? That's the #1 mistake people make is trying to "starve" the candida. You have to keep eating carbs. Candida is completely protected while the body is in ketosis. When you starve candida it will switch to is fungal form and become virulent and aggressive. Candida is going to keep coming back unless you find and eliminate your immune problems. How long did you use nystatin? You need to stay on it for at least a few months for it to be effective.

Candida is a symptom of a bigger problem basically. It's good to keep the levels down, but it won't completely clear until you treat whatever underlying problem exists.

Aerose91

I can agree with that. I eat a controlled amount of carbs, from 60-110/day in the form of brown rice and quinoa. I don't believe I'm in ketosis but I definitely haven't been.able to head the Candida problem

I believe.I was on nystatin for about 4-6 weeks

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I've the past two years I have been put.on nystatin twice and fluconazole once for candida but it still seems to be there in tests. I can't totally explain this because my diet is so clean and low on sugar (zero sugar) but it's still there, yet.

My doctor wants to put me on Diflucan now and see if that helps. I don't really have any huge expectations for this but if it can help alleviate one road block that would be good.

Fluconazole is the same as diflucan I believe. How long did you take it and what dose? Doctors often don't give it long enough. I had persistent candida until I realized that I had to do daily maintenance to prevent it coming back--aside from the right diet.

Best,
Sushi

sparklehoof

Aerose91- I've been on Dyflucan (Fluconazole), Nystatin and other anti-fungals for well over a decade. In my personal experience, I have not found a long term solution to keep my fungal overgrowth in check, but Diflucan is a benefit to many. I'm more than happy to answer any questions that you may have about side effects or my experience. Wishing you the best.

Aerose91

Thanks @sparklehoof

I actually didn't know that Diflucan is the same thing as fluconazole, in that case I have been on it.

I'm not really expecting to feel any different as I have never in the past with antifungals and still have Candida, despite my perfect diet. Hmmm...

I will make sure to hit you up if anything unordinary comes up though, Thanks again.

Aileen

I'm wondering if the probiotic Saccharomyces Boulardii would help. It is also a yeast, but the good kind. Does anyone know if this would crowd out the candida?

I have some misbehaving microbes, currently unidentified, so I'm trying to figure this stuff out too. It is all so complicated. :(

Aerose91

="Aileen, post: 448762, member: 166"]I'm wondering if the probiotic Saccharomyces Boulardii would help. It is also a yeast, but the good kind. Does anyone know if this would crowd out the candida?

I have some misbehaving microbes, currently unidentified, so I'm trying to figure this stuff out too. It is all so complicated. :(

I've had one hell of a time
with this, too. My diet has been phenomenal for so many years yet I still suffer from Dysbiosis and leaky gut. There has to be some underlying reason.

Here is an interesting take on the whole candida/Dysbiosis thing. Its very interesting to me.

http://www.healingnaturallybybee.com/articles/intro2.php

Adster

It might be worth getting tested for Mannose Binding Lectin deficiency if you haven't already. I believe this relatively common immune deficiency can leave you more susceptible to candida infection.

Ambrosia_angel

I have persistent Candida infection that never goes!!! I've been to the Dr so many times and have been on fluconazole one of tablet, one pessarie. Tons of creams which I've used as pessaries if that makes sense. The hydrocortisone and clotrimazole ones. The Dr said the pessaries the strongest treatment so I haven't been back about it :( it makes me feel horrible Tbh.

Sushi

maybe you don't have a fungal problem but a bacterial problem? have you looked into rifaximin?

For me, I had a confirmed fungal problem.

A couple years later I did take rifaximin and it helped all my symptoms, not only gut.

Sushi

kyzcreig

For me, I had a confirmed fungal problem.

A couple years later I did take rifaximin and it helped all my symptoms, not only gut.

Sushi
I'm planning on taking it (and diflucan) myself. Did you have a relapse or did it not fully cure you?

Sushi

I'm planning on taking it (and diflucan) myself. Did you have a relapse or did it not fully cure you?

If you have ME/CFS, rifaximin is not going to cure you--though it might cure other conditions. But it did help with symptoms. I need to take a short course about every 4 or 5 months.

Sushi

kyzcreig

If you have ME/CFS, rifaximin is not going to cure you--though it might cure other conditions. But it did help with symptoms. I need to take a short course about every 4 or 5 months.

Sushi
I bet that can get pricey. I hope you're getting a generic form from outside the US!

I actually read something recently that you may be interested in:
http://goo.gl/tOuNEV
(first link, page 15, section on fibromyalgia)