• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

New compounded LDN making me really jittery

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
When I started on LDN a few months ago I realized I had to take it in the morning because it kept me up all night. When I take it in the morning I feel pretty good.

I recently got a refill from a different source because the compounding pharmacy my doc uses is outrageously expensive and she was not comfortable RX'ing it out of state so I could get it at Skip's.

I haven't slept in 3 nights, each night getting worse. I realized it must be the LDN at 3 a.m. this morning when I was still up.

I took one this at 7:30 a.m. morning so I could pay attention to how I felt and I'm feeling really jittery and not in a good way.

What could be different in this one that is doing it to me? I know they used the Avicel as the binder. I even changed the capsules to see if that was the problem. That doesn't seem to make a difference.

What could this be? I'd like some ideas before I contact the pharmacy about this.

Thanks

I found out the LDN I can take sources their naltrexone from Medisca. The one I can't take is from PCCA.

I hate when pharmacists tell you you can't be having a reaction to a medication! I am, so WTF?

Last edited:

OverTheHills

HI Minkey
I find the LDN I get compounded locally in NZ gives me low mood as a side effect, and so now I get it made up in the US (by Marcos in miami) and posted which is a pain but is worth it for no mood problems. I have never managed to work out which manufacturer/filler/whatever is the problem.
Good luck
OTH

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
@ggingues You know I don't know because I was still amped at 10 pm. and didn't sleep until 3 a.m.

I"m going to ask them to have it tested. There is no way that was .5 mgs and if it is sustained release then he screwed up. I only paid $30 so it's not horrible.

At this point I'm afraid to even try another compounder (I had called Skip's but no one was available). I'll stick with Harbor for now.

Now I just need some sleep.

*GG*

@ggingues You know I don't know because I was still amped at 10 pm. and didn't sleep until 3 a.m.

I"m going to ask them to have it tested. There is no way that was .5 mgs and if it is sustained release then he screwed up. I only paid $30 so it's not horrible.

At this point I'm afraid to even try another compounder (I had called Skip's but no one was available). I'll stick with Harbor for now.

Now I just need some sleep.

Mine says (short-acting), in parenthesis, after the word Naltrexone. FYI

I had issues with tolerating LDN when I first started it, so thought might be the issue, but it was just my body adjusting to the medication! And the multitude of lifestyle and medications/supplement changes I made at the time. I was on 1.5mg at first, not sure if that is the dosage I started at or if my doc started me at 4.5 mg right off?

GG

JT1024

If you question the prescription, try going back to the pharmacy that made it.

They should be able to remake your prescription (verifying that they use the short acting form) without a hassle.

Hope things work out ok for you.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
@ggingues I had been taking it so it wasn't a matter of getting used to it. I went back to the first place I got it and got a really good price on 3 months so for now I'm good. I'm too tired to go look at the bottle right now. I'll see. I did suggest to my contact that maybe he did make the long acting which is nuts.

@JT1024 They already gave me a credit. I'm questioning the compounder there because he used dyed caps which I think added to the problem. I changed them into some clear ones but I still had a big problem, just not as bad.

Lotus97

@minkeygirl
Which brand did you say worked better? Medisca or PCCA? I just started Medisca and I wanted to make sure it was a good brand because people have said certain generic brands don't work well.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
@Lotus97, It was the Medisca. I talked to my doc and when I run out of these I'm going to get some 50 mgs and crush them and put them in water and use a syringe to dose.

Some people have done that here and it'll cost me considerably less. Instead of $90 for 3 months it'll cost me about $10 for 6 months.