• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Mitochondria supplements......?

Sporty

Hi there

I've been wondering what people are using supplements wise for their mitochondria regime.....? What's the consensus with you guys on what's important to take when one has low mitochondria function?

Cheers
Simon

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Mitochondria make pregnenolone from cholesterol and this can filter down and help make other hormones etc. I think acetyl carnitine help in the conversion of cholesterol to pregnenolone. Q10 seems to play a vital mpart in this some how? several antioxidants would be helpful too.

Sporty

Mitochondria make pregnenolone from cholesterol and this can filter down and help make other hormones etc. I think acetyl carnitine help in the conversion of cholesterol to pregnenolone. Q10 seems to play a vital mpart in this some how? several antioxidants would be helpful too.

Thanks mate. I'm taking those already so that's good.

Chris

Something called MitoQ, a derivative of Q10, has been touted recently, and is now available from ProHealth, but at a very stiff price. There is a bit of research behind it--has anyone tried it?

I have tried a couple of versions of ATP Fuel, but though a couple of people I know claim to have improved energy taking it, it did not do much for me. This is basically a Lecithin derivative, with a bunch of other things added, the mix claimed to improve the production of ATP. This might be worth a try, not cheap--but I am not clear that it is really significantly better than plain Lecithin, and that too does not do very much for me.
Chris

Sporty

Something called MitoQ, a derivative of Q10, has been touted recently, and is now available from ProHealth, but at a very stiff price. There is a bit of research behind it--has anyone tried it?

I have tried a couple of versions of ATP Fuel, but though a couple of people I know claim to have improved energy taking it, it did not do much for me. This is basically a Lecithin derivative, with a bunch of other things added, the mix claimed to improve the production of ATP. This might be worth a try, not cheap--but I am not clear that it is really significantly better than plain Lecithin, and that too does not do very much for me.
Chris

Cheers Chris,

I take just plain old Co-q10. It's from dr Myhill so I presume it's ok. However they suggest ubiqunol On line don't they......? Does it make much difference I wonder....?

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
I have noted some patients feel no difference with the Q10 recommended by Myhill. I bought it and it has never made any difference to me. However those same people have switched to Ubiquinol and found it effective. It is VERY expensive. I am not tempted to try it as fed up with the number of supps gathering dust in my drawer that I can't tolerate.

Sporty

I have noted some patients feel no difference with the Q10 recommended by Myhill. I bought it and it has never made any difference to me. However those same people have switched to Ubiquinol and found it effective. It is VERY expensive. I am not tempted to try it as fed up with the number of supps gathering dust in my drawer that I can't tolerate.

Yeah I wonder why she uses that and not ubiquinol. I've just ordered some more off her tho! Lol I was just looking at the ATP fuel.....

Chris

I confess I find it extraordinarily difficult to know whether a supplement is really helping or not. I seem able to tolerate pretty much any of them, and none has so far made so immediate or noticeable difference that I can say with confidence "X has made a difference in my Y symptom." In addition, my state varies considerably on a day-to-day and week-to-week basis so that I seldom feel confident that any change is due to Z rather than the weather, barometric pressure, etc etc. So I tend to go by what looks like credible research. All the research on the ATP fuel varieties has been done by someone deeply involved in it--Garth Nicholson; one apparently independent study refers to "lecithin" supplied by the company that makes the stuff--so it would seem it was the processed stuff that was used, though I have been unable to find much detail on how exactly it is made starting with lecithin. I take lecithin (non GMO of course) from time to time--it is a lot cheaper!

There seems a fair amount of research showing that Ubiquinol is substantially more bioavailable than ubiquinone, and since it is not that expensive here in Canada, I take that--particularly since I am also on low dose statin, and there is good research showing that statins reduce the body's own manufacture of ubiquinone.

Chris

Sherpa

Ex-workaholic adrenaline junkie
Always "start low and go slow" when trying out new mitochondiral supplements. They can stimulate the sympathetic nervous system.

Every fatigued person is different.

Co10 and L-carnitine seems "too strong" (overstimulating) for me. NADH is good but strong. D-ribose works good. I would start at just 750mg of d-ribose to see how it affects you and take it up from there.

I have heard glowing reports about PQQ, some people say it worked better than anything else... some people say it keeps them up past their bedtime

Sporty

Always "start low and go slow" when trying out new mitochondiral supplements. They can stimulate the sympathetic nervous system.

Co10 and L-carnitine seems "too strong" (overstimulating) for me. NADH is good but strong. D-ribose works good. I would start at just 750mg of d-ribose to see how it affects you and take it up from there.

I have heard glowing reports about PQQ, some people say it worked better than anything else... some people say it keeps them up past their bedtime

Hi there....what's PQQ? I've been ok with the mito supplements. Like Chris I seem to tolerate most supplements easily. I was a bit windy on the D-ribose at first but seem to be ok with it now.

Si

Sporty

Hi,

I asked dr Myhill about the co Q10 today and all she said was because it's a lot cheaper and she finds blood levels rise well with the normal stuff.

Where does one get this PQQ then?

TigerLilea

I confess I find it extraordinarily difficult to know whether a supplement is really helping or not. I seem able to tolerate pretty much any of them, and none has so far made so immediate or noticeable difference that I can say with confidence "X has made a difference in my Y symptom." In addition, my state varies considerably on a day-to-day and week-to-week basis so that I seldom feel confident that any change is due to Z rather than the weather, barometric pressure, etc etc. So I tend to go by what looks like credible research.

Chris

Chris, I find the same thing when taking supplements; I don't notice any improvement in my health and have never noticed any adverse reactions to them (with the exception of getting very red and itchy from taking Niacin). I am a skeptic when it comes to "herxing". I read once that if we (people with ME/CFS) were as toxic as some people claim that we would be dead by now. A part of me says to continue trying the different protocols, but another part thinks I'm a fool and would be better off building up my bank account with all of the money I have spent on vitamins and supplements over the years. :confused:

Helen

Rich Van Konynenburg recommended me to support the Kreb´s cycle that probably was affected as I had an decreased methylation (confirmed by a Methylation Pathsways Panel).

Adenosylcobalamin, magnesium citrate, Q10 and l-carnitine fumarate on top of MeCbl, methylfolate and other co-factors to methylation. It helped. I also tried D-ribose but without effect.

Sporty

Rich Van Konynenburg recommended me to support the Kreb´s cycle that probably was affected as I had an decreased methylation (confirmed by a Methylation Pathsways Panel).

Adenosylcobalamin, magnesium citrate, Q10 and l-carnitine fumarate on top of MeCbl, methylfolate and other co-factors to methylation. It helped. I also tried D-ribose but without effect.

Hi,

Where did you get the pathways test done? How much better are you now then...?

Sporty

Yeah I asked Sarah why she uses that type go Q10 and she said because it was much cheaper than the more affective Q10. She said she finds blood levels rise nicely though....

Helen

Hi,

Where did you get the pathways test done? How much better are you now then...?

Hi,
The lab and the test: http://www.hdri-usa.com/tests/methylation/.

I am worse, but at least I know why. I had the panel done before a methylation protocol , and a year after treatment. To my surprise the level of the reduced glutathione was higher , but still below normal in the labtest.

Then I was diagnosed with Lyme. Rich Van K suggested that Lyme is one of the possible "stressors" that consume glutathione. http://www.lymeinfo.net/methylationblock.html. It makes sense to me. All the best to you!