• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Martine McCutcheon opens up about the seven years she suffered from cfs and depression

maryb

iherb code TAK122
@Guido den Broeder
With my illness I've had periods when I've lost a lot of weight, lost all muscle tone and my skin has hung off me, putting weight back on helps with how I look, and had other periods of feeling a bit better and looking it, but as you age naturally plus the ravages of the illness, this is a double whammy so consequences are not good long term.

Like @peggy-sue I cannot believe how old and haggard I look now. (don't do the webcam look its a bad un)
For one who was always taken to be 10/15yrs younger than my age before ME its a blow. yes that does sound vain but its true...........

anniekim

I haven't watched these programs but people are saying online she has been on two shows this week and talks about depression mostly and extolling the virtues of the Lightening Process! This doesn't sound helpful

Dolphin

The world needs more transparency.

I would like to know if she is being paid to extol LP.

As an actress/public personality she has a rather expensive lifestyle to support.
Useful to know. Although after being LPed/hypnotised for 3 days, one will tend to become a walking advertisement for LP, going around saying you don't have impairments, whether it's true or not.

Firestormm

ME Association Facebook

70 comments thus far and a large number of them are very good, and in defence of Martine, as well as good comments from those who feel that any mention of something like LP helping, is anathema to the reality of ME, or 'my illness'.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10151994001902749&id=171411469583186&stream_ref=10

Follows Tony posting the YouTube recording of the Alan Titchmarsh show from 26 February 2014 which went up on MEA Facebook only yesterday:

Valentijn

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/cel...erfect-weekend-Martine-McCutcheon-singer.html

It’s hard to explain what chronic fatigue is like and I don’t think the name itself is very useful: it makes it sound as though it’s just tiredness. It doesn’t explain that it’s a neurological illness and affects the brain, and it doesn’t say anything about the pain, muscle spasms, depression or dizziness, or the way it makes simple things, like going to the shops, suddenly beyond you.

I now know that the causes of chronic fatigue vary from person to person, but in my case it was staying on that wheel of work for so long, always being on show with all guns blazing and always running to the next thing. Eventually, I felt as though I was playing a role rather than living my own life. I never gave myself time to recharge and as a result, even when my mind felt strong, my body started to get every infection going. It got to the stage where I couldn’t rely on myself to turn up for work and in the end my body just collapsed. I couldn’t walk, couldn’t even lift the television remote control. It was a living hell, really – I couldn’t sing or concentrate at all and even looking at a computer would hurt my eyes.

I got myself out of it by taking a massive break and being as kind and patient with myself as I could. Jack was absolutely brilliant but as you can imagine, I was not the most fun in the world. I learnt to keep my diet really clean and ate nothing but plain, boring food (that’s pretty hard when you’re the biggest foodie on the planet) and finally, just recently, I’ve discovered that drinking a fruit or vegetable juice is the make or break factor in whether I get through a day or not. . . .

A much better explanation than in previous articles - it looks like she wrote all of this one herself, so no chance for the media to muck it up. I think she makes the same mistake a lot of us do, in attributing the cause to a specific factor based entirely on guess-work. Sure she was stressed, but she was also getting infections (or one recurring/chronic infection?), so I think she passes the buck a bit by ultimately blaming stress.

Last edited:

Firestormm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/cel...erfect-weekend-Martine-McCutcheon-singer.html

A much better explanation than in previous articles - it looks like she wrote all of this one herself, so no chance for the media to muck it up. I think she makes the same mistake a lot of us do, in attributing the cause to a specific factor based entirely on guess-work. Sure she was stressed, but she was also getting infections (or one recurring/chronic infection?), so I think she passes the buck a bit by ultimately blaming stress.

She still can't help herself though can she? Bless:

Jack and I now are addicted to Jason Vale’s juice therapy programme, where you replace toxins such as processed food and refined sugars with fruits and vegetables, and we always make a huge jug of juice at weekends.

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
She still can't help herself though can she? Bless:

Well, fresh fruit and juice are full of the kind of minerals that people with ME tend to be deficient in, and they are certainly healthier than processed food and added sugar.

Makes more sense than CBT for people who don't have psychological problems.

Min

Martine McCutcheon is now a Poster Babe for Phil Parker's Lightning Process, on Phil Parkers commercial Lightning website:

"I took the Lightning Process. It was amazing"
'Martine McCutcheon, film and TV star'

http://lightningprocess.com/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So much for Martine 'raising awareness' about ME!

I think that proves she did not have the neurolgical illness myalgic encephalomyelitis or she would not have been able to recover by yelling stop at her symptoms. She is yet another celebrity advertising LP and doing us an enormous disservice.

@Bob

Phil Parker is using Martine's image. Could he really do that legally for advertising purposes without her endorsement?

What do legal eagles think?

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
I think that proves she did not have the neurolgical illness myalgic encephalomyelitis or she would not have been able to recover by yelling stop at her symptoms. She is yet another celebrity advertising LP and doing us an enormous disservice.

I think she was doing other things at the same time - diet and supplements? So she may

I think she was doing other things at the same time - healthy diet and pacing, for example. So she may have misattributed improvements to the LP.

And maybe it helped with her depression.

Tell that to the people with ME whose friends and relations read about miraculous cures by Lightning.

Any endorsement of Lightning is a nail in the coffin of ME being accepted as a physical disabling disease.
May be Martine should have thought through her statements, and thought about the wider impact of her public statements, before going public with such a blitz of publicity,

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit

Martine McCutcheon is now a Poster Babe for Phil Parker's Lightning Process, on Phil Parkers commercial Lightning website:

"I took the Lightning Process. It was amazing"
'Martine McCutcheon, film and TV star'

http://lightningprocess.com/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So much for Martine 'raising awareness' about ME!

If Ms McC is really ill with ME, this will come back to bite her in the behind. That's providing she actually believes in LP as opposed to just signing on to be an advertising spokesperson. I wonder what kinds of treatment she is relying on to help her? Just LP?
Chances are she is trying a number of things and she may yet recover if she has been proactive very early on.

If not, then she will find that going back to a full busy life is not possible just because you refuse to be negative.

And it's not the end of the story either. Ms McC my yet develop a better awareness while dealing with being ill.

We can help with that. . .:snigger:

Groan.
Phil Parker is moaning on Twitter that ME Awareness day has been taken over by "negative folk" (ie people who say that ME is serious, not caused by "negativity" or stress, and not cured by NLP and telling your self that you are an amazing genius and not ill)

Its *ME* Awareness day - Not 'Making Money for NLP Coaches' day!

Anyone would think that Phil Parker invented the Awareness Day, the way he talks.
I'm sure its not psychologically healthy to tell oneself that one is "An amazing genius" dozens of times a day (as advocated by Phil Parker and LP). It seems to create the idea that we all have to agree with the self styled "amazing geniuses" or be labelled "negative" and portrayed as the
Out Group, and so not part of the groovy "amazing genius" In Group brigade lead by Phil himself.

Last edited:

SilverbladeTE

By inevitable natural British law, M.E. is an organic, lethal disease. the death certificate of Sophia Mirza sets legal precedent they are desperate to ignore but cannot.
Ergo, anyone claiming it is psychological is by definition talking sh*t or a quack, or when treating sick patients, putting their lives at risk by negligence.