• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Invest in ME - Crowdsourcing raises vital funds for ME research into 'leaky gut syndrome'

Bob

I haven't seen this posted anywhere yet...
It's a press release about Invest in ME's leaky gut study...

Crowdsourcing raises vital funds for ME research into 'leaky gut syndrome'
Mon, 31 Mar 2014
http://www.uea.ac.uk/mac/comm/media/press/2014/March/mefunding

Patients living with myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME) have raised funds to allow new research in to the misunderstood condition to take place at the University of East Anglia and The Institute of Food Research.

The money will fund three years of ground breaking research into ‘leaky gut syndrome’ – where the immune system is thought to react to germs and toxins which enter the bloodstream because of a porous or ‘leaky’ bowel – believed to be a possible cause of a number of conditions.

read more...

Ruthie24

Looks to me like this research is happening at "The University of East Anglia and The Institute for Food Research" from what it says up above. Doesn't look like it's Lipkin's study at all.

biophile

Places I'd rather be.
Lipkin is only mentioned because of this:

"Leading scientists, including Dr Ian Lipkin from the Center for Infection and Immunity at Columbia University, have stated recently that they believe there is a strong link between leaky gut syndrome and ME."

That is all.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Invest in ME's latest leaky gut study fundraising page, with news of their latest appeal for funds:
http://www.investinme.org/LDR newslet 1312-01.htm

Just noticed this:

Do the researchers know how this study differs from/complements the Dr Ian Lipkin microbiome study he mentioned in his Sep 2013 CDC telephone broadcast?

Professor Carding commented that, as he understands it the study referred to is primarily descriptive in nature and restricted to describing the different populations of microbes present in the gut of CFS/ME patients and comparing them to control, non-affected populations.​

This isn't so - the Lipkin microbiome study isn't just descriptive. Here's the study design, which is on the campaign website:

http://www.microbediscovery.org/the-study/

The study will take place at Dr. Lipkin’s 60-strong Center for Infection and Immunity at Columbia University in New York, the world’s largest and most advanced academic center in microbe discovery and diagnosis. His team will use high-throughput DNA sequencing to identify viruses, bacteria and fungi in fecal samples from 100 ME/CFS patients and 100 carefully matched controls and will determine the amounts of each microbe using highly accurate real-time PCR assays that are specific for that microbe.

Levels of cytokines (immune-system messenger molecules) will be measured in the blood to generate an immune profile for each patient. Biostatisticians will then analyze the cytokine and microbiome profiles to identify a potential link to ME/CFS and to define the relationship between immune markers and candidate microbes. In addition, the team will develop antibody tests for any microbes that appear to be related to immune dysfunction.​

Good to see more studies on the gut, though.

SOC

Looks to me like this research is happening at "The University of East Anglia and The Institute for Food Research" from what it says up above. Doesn't look like it's Lipkin's study at all.
I see. :) Apparently my brain stumbled over its own feet when it saw "Lipkin" and "crowdsourcing raises vital funds" and "gut" and totally missed (despite the fact that it's being done by different people in a completely different country) that it's a different study. :bang-head:

I really hate how cognitive dysfunction sneaks up on me. I think I'm doing a lot better cognitively and then my brain lets me down completely. :( I'm thinking it's a mental fatigue thing these days and I should simply not trust my brain after about 5:00 pm. :rolleyes:

Last edited: