• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anything special from my GG/NutraHacker results?

Hi,

Can you guys tell me if there is something special with the following results :

VDR Bsm rs1544410CT+/-
VDR Taq rs731236AG+/-
MTHFR 03 P39P rs2066470AG+/-
MTHFR A1298C rs1801131GT+/-

MTRR A66G rs1801394GG+/+
MTRR H595Y not found n/a
MTRR R415T not found n/a
BHMT-04 not found n/a
BHMT-08 rs651852CT+/-
AHCY-01 rs819147CT+/-
AHCY-02 not found n/a
AHCY-19 rs819171CT+/-
CBS A360A rs1801181AG+/-
CBS N212N not found n/a
SHMT1 C1420T not found n/a

From what I've read the homozygous MTRR A66G is pretty common, but what about the rest?

Attached to this post is my NutraHacker report, thanks very much in advance.

Attachments

• NutraHacker_Complete_Mutation_Report_Customer_c2a89e9a-357c-43b3-b7b6-e5ffd53d6e88.pdf
    59.4 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:

Critterina

Hi there @aaadrien ,

MTRR A66G is pretty common; it means that your enzyme related to that is slower than if you didn't have it. Supplementing with B12 (methylcobalamin or hydroxycobalamin) will help make up for it. It will help you use methylfolate to recycle homocysteine to methionine, which is good because high homocysteine levels are linked to all kinds of badness.

MTHFR A1298C is also pretty common. It impairs use of methylfolate for BH4 generation, which is used to make neurotransmitter. Supplementing methylfolate helps this reaction go, and may help if you have any symptoms related to neurotransmitters (anxiety, depression, IBS, migraines, OCD, ADHD, etc.)

If I were you (oh, and with respect to these two mutation, I am!), I would start supplementing both of them at the same time. If you just start with B12 only, you may deplete your methylfolate reserves and start/increase any neurotransmitter symptoms. (You may also experience facial/scalp acne and sores at the corners of your mouth, as I did.)

Eventually, because you have the BHMT 08 ++, you may want to test your homocysteine level, and if it's high, try adding TMG as a supplement.

The NutraHacker report was really interesting. It has a lot more than I've seen in others. You had some conflicting advice regarding B6 in the report. Taking it in toto, I would interpret it to mean you might supplement P5P instead of B6.

This is just where I would start. There's a lot more you might want to consider (vitamins A, C, and E, various minerals), but it's best just to do one or two things at a time, so you can backtrack if something goes wrong.

Best wishes!

Hi @Critterina,

Thanks very much for all this great information.

If I were you (oh, and with respect to these two mutation, I am!)

Ha =)

This is a confirmation of what I had suspected, so I will continue supplementing with MeCbl and Methylfolate, I've also quite recently added AdoCbl and Carnitine Fumarate as per Fred's recommendations.

You are right I should and I will have my homocysteine levels tested, I already attempted to take TMG and it upseted my stomach but it could have been because the 1000 mg dose was too much.

I'm glad to hear you found my NutraHacker report really interesting =)

Indeed it contains some conflicting advice concerning b6, methylcobalamin, methyl donors, and diet. Yes I think you are right concerning the P5P over b6.

Sure I'm already supplementing with vitamin A, C, E, and minerals for a long time now. I truly hope that what was missing to be healthy was the methylation, and that I will get results soon.

Best wishes to you too! And thanks again for your help.

Critterina

Hi @Critterina,

I'm glad to hear you found my NutraHacker report really interesting =)

Indeed it contains some conflicting advice

I actually found it so interesting I went and did my own, even paid for the complete report, then copied each part into an excel spreadsheet so I could sort on what I wanted. (Which am I homozygous for? How many times does it mention Lithium Orotate - 10 times! are you kidding? 20 SNPs associated with CFS - it's a wonder I don't have it!).

I was surprised at the advice to avoid methyl donors - as I regularly take up to 15 mg of methyl B12 and had no problems with TMG. Also, the COMT status - NutraHacker checks different COMT SNPs than Sterling does, or Genetic Genie - that accounts for 3 of the 6 warnings I got about methyl donors.

Did you look at the supplement tool? I that was interesting, too. It didn't totally deconflict suggestions either. And there were some suggestions that, considering other things (symptoms, lab test results) are not appropriate for me. Like all those cortisol-lowering suggestions: if you could find some cortisol in me, I'd really like to keep it.

I think the lesson learned from this is that NutraHacker has a lot of good ideas - to use as a starting place to consider what you might want to look at. But you really need to (I really need to) look at what each of these supplements does and make an educated decision. I may bring the print-out of my excel sheet to my next appointment and see what the doc says.

I also like that each entry describes the function and the consequences, but I would also like the PubMed reference and the "nickname" like C677T. I'm thinking (I can think of SO MANY projects) that it would be nice to combine the other info I have in this format.

Your report sounds very interesting too, I guess the fact that Lithium orotate was mentioned ten times indicates something.

What has been mentioned the most in my report is Phosphatidylcholine / Phosphatidylserine so I will look into that. Diindolylmethane, and sulfur containing foods have been mentioned a lot too but it is in contradiction with the fact that I should avoid sulphur.

The excel spreadsheet is a good idea and I will surely do it too for the homozygous SNPs.

Thank you to have mentioned Sterling, I didn't know about it and I think I will order a report from them.

Yes I checked the supplement tool today, and like for you some things weren't appropriate for me, like coffee for example knowing that my cortisol is high, I would gladly give you some :)

Indeed all NutraHacker suggestions should not be followed blindly, I will look at them in the light of methylation, and I will primarily try to keep on listening to my body the best I can to make educated decisions.

Best wishes :)

Critterina

Your report sounds very interesting too, I guess the fact that Lithium orotate was mentioned ten times indicates something.

What has been mentioned the most in my report is Phosphatidylcholine / Phosphatidylserine so I will look into that. Diindolylmethane, and sulfur containing foods have been mentioned a lot too but it is in contradiction with the fact that I should avoid sulphur.

The excel spreadsheet is a good idea and I will surely do it too for the homozygous SNPs.

Thank you to have mentioned Sterling, I didn't know about it and I think I will order a report from them.

Yes I checked the supplement tool today, and like for you some things weren't appropriate for me, like coffee for example knowing that my cortisol is high, I would gladly give you some :)

Indeed all NutraHacker suggestions should not be followed blindly, I will look at them in the light of methylation, and I will primarily try to keep on listening to my body the best I can to make educated decisions.

Best wishes :)
Too bad you're so far away - or I'd send you what little PS/PC I have left.

I was reading on the NIH's website on complementary medicine or WebMD about the DIM. It seems it looks something like estrogen structurally, and in some cases it will mimic it: have the same result as if you were taking estrogen, and in other cases it will suppress estrogen or have the same effect as if you had less estrogen. It doesn't seem like they know when it does what. So, if you have any conditions that estrogen might make worse (like some tumors), you might think twice before taking it. Since my testosterone was <1 and estrogen is derived from T in post-meno women like me, any chance to suppress estrogen is something I will avoid.

I had recommendations for both of these things - and I'm definitely NOT going to go trying them. In addition to looking at the suggestions in light of methylation, also look at them in light of any lab tests or symptoms or body intuition - all the information you can get. I'd also run them by a doctor if you have one you trust with these ideas.

Oh, :redface: I didn't order the Sterling report. I looked at someone else's report and made a spreadsheet of the rs numbers and then looked them up one at a time. I had been out of work at the time for over a year, so I had lots of time and not much money. I ended up having to do a lot of the research, but at least knowing which rs numbers to look at was a big help.

Hi @Critterina,

That's so very kind of you, indeed we live very far away of each other, I have ordered some sunflower lecithin that I should receive soon.

I agree with you concerning DIM, I do my best to avoid hormone related products.

Sure I will get all the information I can, I don't know any doctor competent in this field but I think I will order the Sterling report, and take some lab tests.

Attached to this post is the excel spreadsheet of my NutraHacker report for homozygous mutations, I would be very interested in seeing yours too.

1tjv47.jpg

Attachments

• 22 homozygous mutations.pdf
    190.7 KB · Views: 29
Attached to this post is the excel spreadsheet of my NutraHacker report for homozygous mutations, I would be very interested in seeing yours too.

1tjv47.jpg
Interesting. Their description for your MTRR mutation is a cut and paste of comments I made on this forum last July ( http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/23andme-results-help.24381/#post-372858 ). Some of their other data is also wrong - everyone has AA in their 23andMe results for the CYP1A2.

I don't think I'd trust their research, if they're not checking the validity of results, and they're using sick patients on a forum as a verbatim source of information.

Last edited:
Based on their sample report, they also cut-and-pasted my comment about CBS C699T into their report, and without actually understanding the meaning since the B6 recommended would make the most sense for the slow (-/-) version.

My post, from July 27, 2013 ( http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/23andme-results.24451/#post-373643 )
Valentijn said:
CBS C699T results in slightly faster disposal of homocysteine. This is a very small up-regulation, and should not result in sulfur or ammonia problems.
Their description of "Consequences" for the same SNP in their sample report (probably from December 2013 or later, when they began advertising):
Nutrahacker said:
Results in slightly faster disposal of homocysteine. This is a very small up-regulation, and should not result in sulfur or ammonia problems.

My post from July 24, 2013 ( http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/23andme-results-help.24381/#post-372858 )
Valentijn said:
MTRR A66G results in higher homocysteine and lower methionine. B12 supplementation may help. If sensitive to methyl groups at all, hydroxoB12 should be a safer form than methylB12. If taking methylB12, be careful of potassium issues.
Their description of "Consequences" for the same SNP in the sample report:
Nutrahacker said:
Poor methylation of b12. Results in higher homocysteine and lower methionine. B12 supplementation may help. If sensitive to methyl groups at all, hydroxyB12 should be a safer form than methylB12. If taking methylB12, be careful of potassium issues.

I wonder how many other results they have plagiarized (from posts on this forum or elsewhere) which aren't in the sample report?

Critterina

Interesting. Their description for your MTRR mutation is a cut and paste of comments I made on this forum last July ( http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/23andme-results-help.24381/#post-372858 ). Some of their other data is also wrong - everyone has AA in their 23andMe results for the CYP1A2.

I don't think I'd trust their research, if they're not checking the validity of results, and they're using sick patients on a forum as a verbatim source of information.

Valentijn,

Thanks for your insights there. I was wondering about some of the Encourage/Avoid suggestions. And I'm SO glad you picked out the one that said I shouldn't have grapefruit as the one that is wrong. I'm on such a restricted diet that giving up my morning grapefruit seemed like a big sacrifice! Still, I think that it's a good place to start looking at things, maybe not worth the $37 if the research isn't solid.

Hi Valentijn,

Thanks a lot for your posts, indeed that jeopardizes the validity of their results.

I ordered the Sterling report from mthfrsupport, I truly hope their results are valid.

Here's my attempt at posting my spreadsheet.

Hi Critterina,

Thank you I will look at it, even if the validity of the results are questionable now.

I noticed you have more homozygous mutations than me, which I thought would have been unlikely, but once again it seems the results are pretty uncertain.

Attached to this post is my MTHFR gene mutation report, maybe someone can help me with it, thanks.

208cyte.jpg

xnyjdi.jpg

20q0y0z.jpg

Attachments

• MTHFRSupport_Variant_Report_v1_-_95478945616494658.pdf
    204.8 KB · Views: 17

Sea

Some of their other data is also wrong - everyone has AA in their 23andMe results for the CYP1A2.

I looked at Nutra Hacker's sample report when they first posted on PR. I found several errors fairly quickly and decided they were not a reliable source of information

Thank you, months later, for this valuable discussion. I just acquired my 23andme results and am soberly making sense of them. I will not use Nutrahacker because of this discussion.

I noted that thread 28131 on 23andme discusses at least one of the SNPs identified by Nutrahacker (based on the OP's report) as troubling as having its minor alleles associated with a possible positive quality:
rs1006737 - A alleles - "Increases in fronto-limbic volumes and cognitive ability" according to a user. I am seeing in "Candidate gene associations with mood disorder" by Frazier, Youngstrom et.al. that the minor alleles are indeed "implicated in bipolar disorder ... and other neuropsychiatric disorders" but there was a "significant relationship between increased IQ and brain volumes with the patients carrying at least one CACNA1C" and earlier language appear to indicate the alleles increase brain volume. I lack the time to study the article.

In short, one site may say you have a troubling genotype while more research may indicate positive qualities as well.

Critterina

@rick2234 ,

You've found what people with emotional intelligence have known all along: that there are troubled geniuses who tend to be very bright but have trouble being happy. And there are happy people who just aren't that bright. And lots of people who break the stereotypes, too! Many genetic variations have both positive and negative qualities.

Critterina

Sea

I noted that thread 28131 on 23andme discusses at least one of the SNPs identified by Nutrahacker (based on the OP's report) as troubling as having its minor alleles associated with a possible positive quality

In short, one site may say you have a troubling genotype while more research may indicate positive qualities as well.

Some snps have both positive and negative associations for example rs601338 if you are AA you are probably immune to a certain strain of Norovirus, but more susceptible to certain influenzas.

Some who report on snps make false assumptions like:
1. It's always the minor allele that is a problem (sometimes it is the more common one that has some negative effect)
2. Having the minor allele is always a problem (some snps have no effect)
3. An isolated snp is a problem (sometimes you need a combination of snps to be a problem)
4. A heterozygous snp is important (sometimes it is, sometimes a problem only occurs with a homozygous snp)

CTR

Hi Valentijn,

Could you please suggest a better nutrient advice program based on mutation?

Thanks