• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Prof. Jonas Blomberg lectures- any questions?

Helen

Hi all,

Today I recieved an invitation from the ME/CFS group in Gothenburg, to a 2-hour lecture April, 9.
Prof. Jonas Blomberg will spend two hours with us (a rather small group) explaining his latest study "in layman terms". It was presented here
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...sh-me-cfs-study-indicates-autoimmunity.26986/

If you have any questions I will try to get them answered. The study was a bit over my head so I´m looking forward getting a simplified presentation.

Prof. Blomberg will also talk at the ME conference in London in May
http://www.investinme.eu/agenda.html#Conference_Programme

Best
Helen

natasa778

Q:

wrt his findings, is he aware of research on purinergic antagonist Suramin used to address mitochondrial dysfunction-neuroinflammation, and if he thinks this would be worth pursuing in ME?

ATP signaling modulates immune responses and chronic inflammation, as well as anti-viral signaling, microglial activation, gut motility and permeability, and sensitivity to food allergens. Suramin inhibits purinergic signaling and has been used for treating African Sleeping Sickness (Trypanosomiasis) since the early 1900s. Treating the offspring of maternal immune activated mice weekly with suramin normalizes their social behavior, motor coordination, body temperature, mitochondrial respiratory function and other metabolic measures. Most impressively, this treatment also corrects a neuropathology ...

since mitochondria are located at the hub of the wheel of metabolism and play a central role in non-infectious cellular stress, innate immunity, inflammasome activation, and the stereotyped antiviral response [17], we searched for a signaling system that was both traceable to mitochondria and critical for innate immunity. Purinergic signaling via extracellular nucleotides like ATP and ADP satisfied these requirements.

... Excess extracellular ATP (eATP) is an activator of innate and adaptive immunity, is a danger signal and damage-associated molecular pattern (DAMP) that is chemotactic for neutrophils, and a potent regulator of microglial activation, death, and survival

... Antipurinergic therapy appears to provide a novel means for upregulating the expression of this receptor pharmacologically in disorders associated with innate immune dysregulation and inflammation.

Full paper

natasa778

I feel MITOKINES and purinergic signalling is a huge unexplored area in ME, spanning across mito, neuroinflammatory, gut and infection/immune areas and so has a big treatment potential ...

Thank you!

Helen

Hi @natasa778,

Thank you for the question and information that sound quite interesting. I hope Prof. Blomberg also finds it worth considering and that I will have a response in some weeks