• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Should I reduce my B12?

Hi all,

I am already on 5mg methyl B12 (swanson) and have today just started to add Metafolin 800mcg.

Should I reduce my B12?

Will having a large dose of B12 compared to a starting dose of Metafolin cause problems?

If I do need to reduce the B12, what dose should I take?

Also, what final dose (approximately) should I be building up to for the Metafolin?

Thanks

Martial

I would suggest raising the folate and adding in adenob12 while keeping the methyl b12 where it is currently at, Adeno b12 is the other half of healing and necessary for the deadlock quartet alongside L Carnatine Fumarate. If you go too low with the folate you will produce paradoxical folate deficiency.. I did the same before and was corrected by Fred. Be sure to take in some form of supplemental potassium as well! You do not want to risk low potassium symptoms! I take at least a little under 3,000mg extra a day through a powder form of potassium gluconate from NOW brandname. Each dose yields about 323mg so I take three scoops three times a day. Along with a good potassium leveled diet this will serve you will. Do NOT however consume too much potassium supplementation.. If you go over 20,000mg a day of supplemental form potassium you could also risk hyperkalemia which is equally as deadly!

Here is a script of my conversation with Fred regarding folate deficiency.

"Hi Todd,

methyl folate can range from 400, to roughly 1600mg a day.. Do you think that low dose of folate would even trigger paradox deficiency? It seems most people that had that were using much higher doses...-Todd

This one you have 100% backwards. A low dose like this almost always triggers donut hole paradoxical folate deficiency. Higher doses relieve it. Low dose methylfolate PFD can cause massive inflammation.

Daily doses of B1 and B2 above 30-50mg a day and B3 above 100mg a day can cause an insatiable need for methylfolate and potassium, so make sure that is ok. Remind me that you are not taking NAC, glutathione or Whey.

If you want to get rid of low folate symptoms and inflammation try 4mg of l-methylfolate or so each 4-6 hours Typically it will start turning around within a few hours and after a day or 3 you should know for sure. Now it is possible you are one of those who needs 30mg a day to make any headway but that is rare without folic acid or folinic acid or large amounts of vegetable folate.

Try 8mg before you go to bed tonight. Metafolin has no side effects different from sugar pills. That is what the Deplin study says at doses up to 30mg/day. Best results are at 15 and 30mg daily. That is what all my experience says. The people who take tiny doses have terrible reactions and think it is because of so much folate instead of so little. They have even worse responses with 200 mcg of folinic and 200mcg of mfolate. Wow do they get hit. That is because of a double whammy paradoxical folate deficiency. Without the folate you are wasting your money and wasting 90% of the b12. You could get equally bad results from 500mcg of b12.

Try it cautiously, 4 mg and then 4rmg in couple of more hours to avoid possible stomach distress or take 8mg and some food and go for it. You could be a new man in 2 days.

After you get rid of all the folate deficiency symptoms, then is the time to adjust other things. Doing it otherwise is bass akwards.

Now this is my opinion and experience. Everybody who takes the small doses has terrible results and a rough time. The people who use the larger doses get healing going. You can always go back but I would bet
Fred"

Thank you for your reply.

Is potassium chloride an ok form of potassium to take? I have got some Saxa low salt which is 51% potassium chloride and 49% salt which I have been taking.

Also, do you know whether the Swanson B12 is any good? As it is a 5g tablet which seems much easier (and less expensive) to take than the Enzymatic Therapy B12 infusion.

So am I correct in my understanding that I should increase my Metafolin to 8mg a day split in to two doses?
Should I do this immediately/tomorrow even though I only started taking it today?

Do you know what an appropriate dose of AdB12 would be?
I was going to start taking for 1/3 of a capsule of the Anabol nuturals dibencoplex 10,000 daily in 2 or 3 days time, does that sound about right?
Should I add it in now or wait a few days since I have just started the Metafolin?

If anyone else is able to reply to my questions as well so that I get them all answered, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you :)

Martial

Yes! I am not sure about the swanson brand, no experience... the Enzymatic therapy infusion b12 would be your best bet though!

You can find answers to correct doses on Fred's original methylation thread!

You can also start the adeno b12 immediately alongside the folate and methyl b12.. The only thing to hold off for is the carnatine once you pull out of any paradoxical folate deficiencies, and be sure to cover potassium deficiencies. Putting it in TOO soon can make you feel really anxious and almost jump out of your skin panicked.. Happened to me and a few others here lol..

I do 10,000mcg of methyl b12, 10,000mcg of adenob12, and 10,000mcg of folate a day, alongside 855g of carnatine. As long as you match doses to similar levels and keep folate and b12s high enough to avoid paradoxical deficiency you will be alright.. It might be better to start at lower doses though, but high enough to avoid troubles.. There is HUGE demand for potassium at first and this is regardless of doses but de toxing can hit hard if you jump into stronger doses too quickly..

Yes! I am not sure about the swanson brand, no experience... the Enzymatic therapy infusion b12 would be your best bet though!

You can find answers to correct doses on Fred's original methylation thread!

You can also start the adeno b12 immediately alongside the folate and methyl b12.. The only thing to hold off for is the carnitine once you pull out of any paradoxical folate deficiencies, and be sure to cover potassium deficiencies. Putting it in TOO soon can make you feel really anxious and almost jump out of your skin panicked.. Happened to me and a few others here lol..

I do 10,000mcg of methyl b12, 10,000mcg of adenob12, and 10,000mcg of folate a day, alongside 855g of carnatine. As long as you match doses to similar levels and keep folate and b12s high enough to avoid paradoxical deficiency you will be alright.. It might be better to start at lower doses though, but high enough to avoid troubles.. There is HUGE demand for potassium at first and this is regardless of doses but de toxing can hit hard if you jump into stronger doses too quickly..

Hi Martial,

Thanks for your post, I didn't know the carnitine should be added after the paradoxical folate deficiencies have disappeared. I'm not sure I have paradoxical folate deficiencies or not, I will look into older posts from Fred to see what I can find on the subject.