• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Jan 18th Webinar with Dr. Lucinda Bateman

gracenote

All shall be well . . .
your computer's microphone

I'll have to wait for the archive version since I have phone or I have net but don't have both at the same time. So if anything really cool happens you all need to make sure to post! (big soulful doggie eyes begging (grins))

Have fun
I just registered and in my confirmation email it said this:

You will be connected to audio using your computers microphone and speakers (VoIP). A headset is recommended. Or, you may select Use Telephone after joining the Webinar.
George, it sounds to me like you can do it all through your computer. What do you think? Maybe you can join us after all!

Dr. Yes

Shame on You
Gracenote, I think you're right.

It looks like you just have to click the link in the confirmation email (the one they tell you "not to share with anyone") and you will be automatically connected; no phone or Skype necessary. If that's the case then it's just like a live streaming audio/video feed. Live audio is no problem, but live video will probably crash this miniature computer of mine...

from George:
"live" is a different dog. (kinda too big to fit think St. Bernard vs Yorkie)

Yes... I think about that all the time... but in my fantasy it's always a Great Dane...

A

anne

I'm delighted they are doing this, though every time I see the "word" webinar I want to stick a fork in my eye.

Dr. Yes

Shame on You
:D I know... though my temptation is to stick it in someone else's...

Btw, anne, that's not you peeking out in your Avatar, is it?

Cuz if it is, you should REALLY post on that "looking younger than your age" thread...

D

DysautonomiaXMRV

It's a "teleconference set up". You must have phone for sound and the internet which will provide video or slides. The reason for the split is the problem of bandwidth. If you watched the CFSAC you may have notice the choppy video which, was due to the amount of bandwidth needed to stream "live". You can package sound and video with a compression software like MP4 and put it on YouTube or on the web and it streams well but, "live" is a different dog. (kinda too big to fit think St. Bernard vs Yorkie) Anyways You will call a number which will connect you to a sound server and then go to a designated address (www.something.net/whatever/overhear) and then you watch the whole thing in real time. It's pretty cool.

If we have to dial a number to get the 'sound' for the video, won't we get an enormous phone bill if we are outside the USA?
Or can we somehow use a software version of a phone, using Skype?

It's so confusing, the info I was sent says this:

You will be connected to audio using your computer’s microphone and speakers (VoIP). A headset is recommended.
Or, you may select Use Telephone after joining the Webinar.

G

George

If you have a software program called VOIP then it's a one shot deal. Click, connect, done. If you do not have the software and if you have it you will know you have it (grins) because you will have been using it to make phone calls before this, then you have to use the phone for sound, and yes that can lead to a huge phone bill since it's not on the free nights and weekends time period. (big grins)

I don't know what the phone number is so I don't know if it costs. 800, 866 or 877 are all free numbers but other prefixes would costs. I'll try to find out.

joyscobby

Cjb downloaded munualy I have

sucessfully connected waiting for organiser

I do not have a mike but 'puter built in speakers will that be ok.
will I hear and not speak?

Have skype but no built in mike or external. can here skype but cannot talk

lost headset and new computer

K

_Kim_

I'm having trouble launching the software. Is anyone else in???

I am in. This is what you will see when the software downloads successfully.

ITTXs.jpg

For those that are using their phone for audio:
At the specified meeting time, dial the conference call number. When prompted, enter the access code followed by the # key and then your unique Audio PIN ([FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica]Shown after joining the Webinar)[/FONT].

K

_Kim_

Cjb downloaded munualy I have

sucessfully connected waiting for organiser

I do not have a mike but 'puter built in speakers will that be ok.
will I hear and not speak?

Have skype but no built in mike or external. can here skype but cannot talk

Not sure how it will work with Skype. You might want to take a look at the GoToMeeting Audio Help page

T

thefreeprisoner

Anybody feeling energetic / clear enough to make some notes?
Or will there be a transcript / recording available?

Rachel xx

K

_Kim_

Anybody feeling energetic / clear enough to make some notes?
Or will there be a transcript / recording available?

Rachel xx

That's not me today - my brain is pea soup. I'll grab some screen shots of the presentation if I can.

MEKoan

Uhm... Do we wait for an organizer until it begins or should we be checked into something that looks a little more like something is actually happening before noon?

:ashamed:

K

_Kim_

Uhm... Do we wait for an organizer until it begins or should we be checked into something that looks a little more like something is actually happening before noon?

:ashamed:

We wait for the organizer to open the webinar. Nothing will happen until then.

CJB

I'm in -- had to disable the security software. I'm getting sound just fine over my laptop.

starryeyes

Webinar

The Webinar is on now. I don't have a picture but they sound great over the phone. Ah, the slides are on now. I think Vernon said that there are 88 people watching/listening to this webinar.

CJB

Dr Bateman is speaking and is talking about the history of the discovery of the virus. She covered the WPI paper and now she's talking about the IC paper.