• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Low-Dose Naltrexone and Th1/Th2 - Confused!

Cheesus

Hi folks,

I am a little confused. I have been considering trying Low-Dose Naltrexone and have just been having a look into how it works.

According to this website, LDN moves the immune system from Th1 to Th2. But from my understanding, it is much more likely that we are Th2 dominant? How then does LDN help? Surely it would just make things worse?

If you could explain it to me like I am 5 I would appreciate it :)

Cheesus

Just to add, I fall into the category of sufferer who does not catch colds. My ex-girlfriend had a number of horrible colds and I remained fine throughout. I understand this might reflect what is going on in my immune system but I am not clued up enough to know what exactly it reflects.

I don't understand why, but with any protocol, it helps for some and other not. I'm in the category that it moved me from a level of 40% to 70%. Oddly enough, the first time I tried it, it did nothing. I then had a baby and relapsed pretty bad after his birth. I tried it again and am thrilled with the improvement.

Cheesus

I don't understand why, but with any protocol, it helps for some and other not. I'm in the category that it moved me from a level of 40% to 70%. Oddly enough, the first time I tried it, it did nothing. I then had a baby and relapsed pretty bad after his birth. I tried it again and am thrilled with the improvement.

Do you suffer from pain? I asked someone how they got on with it and they said that their CFS doc told them it was generally used for pain. There have been studies done on it with FM but none with ME. I don't suffer from any pain at all (thank the heavens), but I'd still hope it might affect this earth-shattering fatigue.

Interestingly I heard of someone the other day who had a baby and went to 100% health! This is an odd illness.

@Cheesus - I did have 100% remission WHILE pregnant. I begged my MD to please give me whatever it was that made me feel that good while pregnant and he suggested HcG (the preggo hormone i guess?). it's the one fad that people use to lose weight also. The cost for the injections was crazy expensive so I declined, but IT WAS AMAZING while it lasted. With the exhaustion of labor and sleepless nights I quickly (by 3 months) relapsed back into my old CFS ways. Once I quit breastfeeding I started back on the LDN and it definitely helped me.

I do not suffer FM pain at all; my main complaints are fatigue, PEF, brain fog, easily catch viruses, adrenal fatigue..

For me, as a woman, my CFS symptoms are very much affected by my menstrual cycle. I feel best when my progesterone levels are at their highest, which in pregnancy progesterone is King, so guess that makes sense.

Ema

@Cheesus
For me, as a woman, my CFS symptoms are very much affected by my menstrual cycle. I feel best when my progesterone levels are at their highest, which in pregnancy progesterone is King, so guess that makes sense.

Progesterone can convert to cortisol in times of need. This is often a sign of struggling adrenal function. You mentioned adrenal issues...I wonder if you've had cortisol testing?

I've had it tested a few times.. I'm always lowest in am with the natural dips at 10am and 2pm and slightly elevated at night. Adrenal fatigue is a HUGE issue for me. The only thing ever given to me to support this was Isocort and Adrenocore supplements.

I tried Phosphytidle serine (sp?).. Makes me feel awful, bad dreams and fatigued in the morning. And that's at a pretty low dose of 500mg I think; whatever the standard dose is that they usually come in.

Cheesus

So my plan is to try LDN, and then if that doesn't work I'll: convert to Buddhism, die, be reborn as a woman, give birth and then try LDN again.

Sorted.

Anyhow, anyone got any ideas about how LDN works re: Th1/Th2 in PWME?

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
So my plan is to try LDN, and then if that doesn't work I'll: convert to Buddhism, die, be reborn as a woman, give birth and then try LDN again.

Sorted.

Anyhow, anyone got any ideas about how LDN works re: Th1/Th2 in PWME?

I don't know the Th1/Th2 aspect of it but I also am one who never gets colds or flu and doesn't have pain, and LDN does help me quite a bit. The best way to go about it seems: start very low and up your dose very slowly. It took me 4 months to reach the full dose.

Best,
Sushi

Cheesus

Thanks @Sushi :thumbsup: I will collect some info and make an appointment with my GP in due course. Fingers crossed it can give me at least a little boost.

knackers323

Hi guys can someone help me.
I've stated taking ldn. About hour and half after taking I was getting an anti depressant effect but after three weeks that seems to be wearing off now. Anyone else get this?

I am taking .5ml daily. I am begining to get a breakout of eczema. I think it due to the ldn. Should I continue or not?

I've had no improvement in symptoms yet. How long does it normally take?
Thanks

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
@Cheesus

I have no insight to share re T1/T2 but I'm wondering if like many things with this illness the premise of T2 dominance might be only partially right that is to say a subset. So that the question might be moot.