• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Carnitine @ night?

Star-Anise

Still having increased fatigue post carnitine - just using a sprinkle of ALCAR. Fumarate is worse. I was thinking maybe I should take at night?

Overall my energy *has* improved with carnitine supplementation even though it's just a sprinkle, & I notice a difference in my overall energy when I don't take it. Only thing is that I feel really tired/worn out for the first 3-5 hours after I take it.

My only concern is that my energy does lift a few hours 3-5 hours after carnitine supplement, so I have good energy into evening... I'm taking it at lunch, and end up dragging my butt all afternoon now...

Any thoughts?

I think fatigue at first was related to hypoglycemia. Doesn't seem to be now. Doesn't go away with increased carbs.

I am taking methylfolate 3grams, just titrating my adenosylB12 now, because new brand Anabol Naturals seems much more effective. I'm at 8.6 grams of A-B12, and 1.5 gram today of MB12. I'm working at balancing these two forms between themselves too, & in conjunction with methylfolate. I can't seem to get methylfolate up any further without getting negative side-effects as I edge closer to 4grams.

Thanks everyone for any info you can send my way.
S

whodathunkit

How is your thyroid? Carnitine can inhibit the action of thyroid hormone.
@adreno: Jeez. Really? I did not need or want to know that. Sometimes ignorance is bliss. LOL Can you 'splain more about the action of how it does carnitine messes with thyroid hormones?

@Star-Anise: Have you tried TMG? I've only had for about five days so am still experimenting with it, but am finding it very potent. For me it seems to modify the effects of the carnitine, but in a good way. LCF gave me energy but in a weird way, made me kind of jittery, but now I realize there was a little fatigue in the background, as well. Wasn't exactly wired, wasn't exactly tired, but not exactly ideal, either. Better than being tired all the time, though. I hope that makes sense.

Anyway, the right amount of TMG seems to take that weirdness away and leave me with just the energy. Maybe it could do the same for you. Or it might be too much for you, since it apparently donates methyl groups like crazy. Dunno. As I said I'm still experimenting. I can say that it is very potent and if you decide to try it, please don't take too much, especially to start. Go very lightly. Maybe try a sprinkle of it along with a sprinkle of carnitine...?

I would not take either form of carnitine at night. Yow! ;)

BTW, thanks for the update on the Anabol Naturals tablets. I'm really getting some good out of the powder and was worried they'd gone and ruined a good product.

Last edited:

adreno

PR activist
Last edited:

Star-Anise

@adreno thanks so much for the suggestion. Yes I have been considering it. I do have some mild thyroid issues. Particularly with T4-T3 conversion. I will get stuff tested. It's just odd that it only lasts a few hours, and that I have better cardiovascular function & energy reserve when I have it, other than those few hours...
@whodathunkit I seriously love this forum. Interestingly, I was intuitively drawn to TMG & was just researching it before I made this post... thanks so much! S

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
@Star-Anise

I take carnitine at night, but I have forgotten why I do that--but I know there was a reason! :confused: Anyway, it doesn't seem to bother me taken at that time, and if it were making me tired at night, that would be a good thing.

Re: TMG--it can be potent. Check it's role in the "short" methylation path. I remember in the Yasko multi (recommended to support methylation) the dose of TMG was 50 mg total in 6 tablets and Rich used to suggest taking 2 tablets.

Sushi

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
over time the overstimulation from carnitine may slow or stop. I know i got overstimulated when i first used acetyl carnitine. Now i use 1000mg in the morning. Never made me sleepy but shows how different we are.

Interesting u say its helped hypo symptoms as end of last year ran out of carnitine and didnt order any more and i had increasing hypo symptoms etc back on carnitine and its not an issue now. Must be doing something to those mitochondria to improve insulin sensitivity??

Star-Anise

@heapsreal thanks for your comments! Actually, it increases hypo symptoms for me immediately afterwards, but then over time it has improved my hypoglycemia overall. Yep for sure, I agree there is some connection to insulin sensitivity. Cheers :)

whodathunkit

@Star-Anise: just an update on the TMG.

I developed runny poo and little bit of itchy bum hole (no need to thank me for the TMI, that's another thing I love about these natural health boards, don't you o_O:lol:) from taking increased TMG on an empty stomach. Itchy bum often means too much stomach acid, in case you didn't know that. When it all started I was like, WTH is going on *now*?! and then I realized TMG is still betaine even if it's not HCL like the digestive enzyme.

So if you try it definitely take it with food and go gently. I was trying to take it on an empty stomach at the same time as LCF and turns out that's not such a good idea. Good news is I haven't had any problems since I started using it with food, and the old symptoms are clearing up. I did cut back my dose but will bump up a little again after I'm clear of this last bout, just to see what happens.

Did you decide to try it?

Star-Anise

@whodathunkit thank-you so much for your candor! It made me smile, & I wasn't really smiling yesterday... steeped in detox like symptoms again. Better today. Funny I was noticing increased stomach acid with TMG, and I was taking only a smidge, like a small piece broken off of tab, maybe 25mg. I didn't know that about stomach acid & itch. But that may explain some things for me too... hmmm.
I have been reading some of Dr. Wilson's stuff as I'm going to be embarking on a nutritional balancing scheme, or at least try it. I have my hair test sent away and am waiting back results.
Anyhow, I found this info re: TMG & toxic metals. Interesting. Not sure if there is any actual research and evidence outside of their clinical work with patients.
http://www.drlwilson.com/ARTICLES/TRIMTHYLGLYCINE.htm
Funny story - the other day I was having a bout of brain fog and I accidentally took a whole carnitine pill 500mg. I felt kind of crappy, but a bit more energy (tired/wired like). And I thought wth, okay, well let's try the TMG too. And it did seem to alleviate some of the negative symptoms of carnitine. So I've been playing with these two things ever since, going through various stages of feeling crappy for a bit.
My PEM & fatigue have improved to the point that I can do a bit of exercise, and I have been playing soccer. It sounds like more than it is, being that it is indoor soccer, & playing time for me individually probably amounts to 10 minutes total in a game, but it's fun, and if I prepare I can do it. I have found that without the carnitine that my cardiovascular function is way less, and my fatigue and PEM is higher. So for now, I'll fiddle away with carnitine. But once the season is over, I might trial dropping it and see if I feel better the rest of the time outside of exercise without the carnitine. I've gained about 10 lbs since I introduced A-B12 and Carnitine in December, and it's not all muscle, I've got stuff pouring over my pants. I'm worried about carnitine's impact on my thyroid, as the weight is stubborn & not really listening to reason. I have managed to lose about 4 lbs through eating less, but that's no fun.
Anyhow, a rambling vent on TMG, carnitine and weight gain. Sorry :) But hope your situation continues to improve & mine always turns around, but unfortunately it takes time, lol. S:)

whodathunkit

@Star-Anise: just FYI, itchy bum can also be caused by too many probiotics. Don't know if you're taking those or what, but just thought I'd throw it out there. I've done that to myself before, too. LOL

Also, FWIW, when you put on muscle without losing fat at the same time it can seem like you're getting fatter because essentially your muscles are bulking up without any commensurate loss of girth/circumferece of the fat on the body part. This can pass.

That said, I've put back on a couple pounds, too. If I figure out it's not from my normal female water weight fluctuations every month I may tinker with carnitine, as well. I was losing quickly and easily there for a while. So thanks for that thought, just in case!

Star-Anise

@whodathunkit - yes no probiotics for me for now. I'm quite sensitive to them, and I tend to have an overgrowth of bacteria, even the good stuff. Too much. I may be looking at intro later on, but not now.
The itch problem is pretty much solved for me now. But I think that it may be common with certain metal eliminations too, or parasites are the obvious one. :) all the very best, S