• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Most Abrupt Treatment Turnaround - Dr Cheney

curry

Hi , was interested to see Cort post this:

Most Abrupt Treatment Turnaround - after examining the results of his event terrain scans of his echocardiograph Dr. Cheney proclaims that whey protein powder, D-Ribose, omega-3 fatty acids, methylation supplements and other commonly used supplements are actually harmful to ME/CFS

I started taking why protein powder because Cheney suggested it boosted L Glutathione. :confused: In fact from what I read hes even against Co q10.

Hi

Could you please provide a link, or any other backup information on this?

Many thanks

kday

His opinions all seem to stem from his echo terrain maps.

It's on his most recent DVDs.

While his echo terrain maps might look kind of cool, I think they are seriously flawed when it comes to evaluating certain supplements. The science looks convincing to the layman, but I don't think it holds up.

Cheney believes the methylation block is helpful to CFS patients. He thinks unblocking it is harmful.

If unblocking it makes the situation worse, why does it make me so much more relaxed? Why does it decrease my heart rate and blood pressure? Why does it help with my chest pain? Why does it allow me to cut back or sometimes forget about my (addictive) anxiety medication? And quite frankly, why does it help with my suicidal ideations? Not that I have plans to commit suicide, but the overwhelming anxiety, overstimulation, and feelings of being tortured has made me think about it. Thank god there are supplements (vitamins) that relieve those feelings. Unfortunately, there isn't complete relief (only partial).

I'm a bit rare I think, and you can see the detox changes in my urine. It goes from clear to dark when continuing to take methylation supplements. It's obvious to me it is intense detoxification (and it makes me feel much better).

Somebody please tell me how this methylation block is protecting me?

His echo terrain maps yield positive results for supplements that generally provide immediate benefits. But with methylation, I think we know that things can get worse before better.

I don't buy it. Cheney seems like a very smart man, but I think he has some things very backwards. I'm not attacking Cheney, but his high-tech echo terrain maps will never change my mind about something that obviously provides great benefit.

Here is a link I found:
http://www.chronicfatiguetreatments.com/forums/chronic-fatigue-syndrome-f1/topic827.html

While a bit technical, you may get more from watching the DVDs.

curry

Very interesting to read.

It also worries me quite a bit to read that actually my 'treatment' is harmful, and I'm not able to assess if I'm harming myself by taking those supplements.

But my gut feeling also tells me that a doctor who charges 600 USD an hour for a consultation:eek:, and offers outrageously expensive treatment packages at his clinic etc. may likely to be not in favour of cheap supplement therapies which can be carried out at home by the patient itself.

Just a (very cynical) guess...

Sallysblooms

P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!
Strange. I just read what Cheney said in that link. He has really different opionions for sure. D Ribose is bad? Odd. That has been fantastic for me. D3 has finally helped my Vit D level, and he calls it toxic. I guess his patients are different that I am. I do agree that Magnesium is great. I take mine powdered every eve.

I do not understand the love affair with DR Cheney and other of his ilk. Please show me 1 pt that he has made well! So , he comes out last year and announces everything he has been doing for the past 10 years is totally wrong?! This is an admission that he has no idea what he is doing. How much does he charge for these services? I have heard of so many people seeing these best of the best type MD's who do nothing but bankrupt their patients, if not make them sicker. Is this the best we have? Grade-F.

CindyWillis

He has done wonders for me through Dr. Sharp. I was barely walking and now I can work 50 hours a week and travel around the country for work in not that much time after taking his protocol. I owe Dr. Cheney and Dr. Sharp for getting my life back.

*GG*

He has done wonders for me through Dr. Sharp. I was barely walking and now I can work 50 hours a week and travel around the country for work in not that much time after taking his protocol. I owe Dr. Cheney and Dr. Sharp for getting my life back.

Good to hear!

C

Cloud

I guess it's a matter of perspective because I see Dr Cheney's admission of having a few wrong ideas as being humility, open mindedness and the intention to get back to the chalkboard. Without those qualities, intellect only goes so far. Most doctors treat us like crap and won't come near this field. These docs who have stuck with us through horrendous opposition have my respect and loyalty even if they never help one person. But fortunately we are now entering a time when they have a few more tools to help us. Cheney and his colleagues are helping more and more people....I'm one of them too.

YSL

Dr. Cheney seems piggishly greedy and money hungry. Has he done anything kind or philanthropic for the CFIDS community??? He even charges for the website access, so god forbid he misses out on an opportunity to skin a desperate sick person. But again, i haven't met him...oh i forgot, i can't afford to. So I do not believe he needs to be canonized. He's hardly a saint.

T hanks to all for your opinions. I am on the waiting list to see Cheney, but I have my doubts. I still can't justify the cost in my mind and I'm afraid all I'll get is a lot of lecture info. on the pathogenisis. I subscribed to his newsletter and immediately cancelled. Almost all the info is out of date and not worth the money. However, some of his recommendations have been helpful. Keeping my feet up, using Klonopin are helping. Does anyone have more insights about Cheney? Thank you.

I would like to talk with you. I have similar "overstimulation" problems that have plagued me for the past few years. If I take any kind of stimulant my adrenaline shoots up, I can't relax of sleep. I also have had suicidal ideation. I don't think we have mental problems in the common way. It seems to me my autonomic nervous system is not able to filter properly. Cheney wrote an article in 2002 on Klonopin and Doxepin that I am now using. I discovered the combo myself and my psychiatrist has helped. Then I am not so reactive to everything. I haven't found others who have similar problems. I talked to Cheney's nurse and she said they do see people like me. But $9000 just for the initial visit seems huge

curry

T hanks to all for your opinions. I am on the waiting list to see Cheney, but I have my doubts. I still can't justify the cost in my mind and I'm afraid all I'll get is a lot of lecture info. on the pathogenisis. I subscribed to his newsletter and immediately cancelled. Almost all the info is out of date and not worth the money. However, some of his recommendations have been helpful. Keeping my feet up, using Klonopin are helping. Does anyone have more insights about Cheney? Thank you.

Before you book the consultation and pay any upfront fee, ask what to expect at the first consultation, and what the following course of action will be.

I have been in contact with several doctors, to decide which I will 'hire', and they all explained me by email/phone what kind of service they offer, and what will happen when booking a consultation with them.

After the stories I've read on this board, someone had to declare bankruptcy due to Dr Cheney, please be very careful when paying him huge amounts of money.
You don't want to cause yourself further distress by getting into financial trouble...