• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Type of B-12 in meat?

is it cyano? hydroxy? methyl?
(i understand the differences/need of each type) just curious as to which is in meat.

Lynn_M

Cyano is s synthetic form, made in a lab, so I wouldn't expect to find any in meat. I've never seen any breakdown as to whether meat has hydroxy or methyl forms, and didn't see one with a quick search, so interesting question. I would suspect both forms are present, but it would be nice to see something authoritative.

PeterPositive

In this article:
http://www.nrv.gov.au/nutrients/vitamin b12.htm

they mention:
Absorption of vitamin B12 is now known to be more complex than was once thought. In foods, methyl-, deoxyadenosyl-, or hydroxocobalamin are bound to enzymes in meat and other animal foods.
So those seem to be the three forms that are found in animal food.

If animals store methylcobalamin like we do then it's likely to be found in the liver and kidneys. Also I have read that before synthetic vitamin were available, anemia was treated with dessicated liver extract... yuk! o_O

NilaJones

I'm very interested in what info people can dig up here. I think @Freddd mentioned once that it is mainly adenosyl?

I wonder, too, about different meats. I find that I absorb very little B12 from beef, and a similar amount from pork (though it contains much less). Crab, and clams, OTOH, knock my socks off.

PeterPositive

I'm very interested in what info people can dig up here. I think @Freddd mentioned once that it is mainly adenosyl?

I wonder, too, about different meats. I find that I absorb very little B12 from beef, and a similar amount from pork (though it contains much less). Crab, and clams, OTOH, knock my socks off.
That I think has to do with the fact that clams, for example, contain way more B12 than beef, a lot more, like 15x more :) See here:
http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/foods-high-in-vitamin-B12.php

SOC

How can you tell?

ETA: Sorry, should have read further down the thread. :oops: How do you know it's the B12 affecting inflammation and insomnia and not other factors in the various meats?

NilaJones

How can you tell?

ETA: Sorry, should have read further down the thread. :oops: How do you know it's the B12 affecting inflammation and insomnia and not other factors in the various meats?

Well one never knows for certain, but it feels exactly the same as folate supps, so, based on stuff I have read here, I assume it's an uptick in methylation.

Other suggestions for interpretation are welcome, though!

SOC

Well one never knows for certain, but it feels exactly the same as folate supps, so, based on stuff I have read here, I assume it's an uptick in methylation.

Other suggestions for interpretation are welcome, though!
If only I had one. :) I've just never been able to tell those kinds of things so clearly, so I always wonder how people can tell.

NilaJones

If only I had one. :) I've just never been able to tell those kinds of things so clearly, so I always wonder how people can tell.

Some of us just make it up ;).

I do have a secret hope that the B12 in the beef I eat is getting absorbed and helping me in some way that I cannot feel, even thought here's no sign of it in the ways that I can feel.