• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

It Seems Frightening At First, But This Is One Of The Most Beautiful Things I’ve Ever Seen.

Firestormm

I really am still not sure if this is real. Looks incredible. Absolutely ace if it is. I mean it must be I suppose. WOW!

6 March 2014

It Seems Frightening At First, But This Is One Of The Most Beautiful Things I’ve Ever Seen.

British artist Sue Austin has been in a wheelchair since 1996 after contracting ME (chronic fatigue syndrome). In 2012, she was asked to be a part of the Cultural Olympiad in Britain, a celebration of the arts leading up to the 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games held in London. For the event Ms. Austin and a team of diving experts created the world’s first self-propelled underwater wheelchair to be used in a series of stunning underwater scuba performances she called
‘Creating the Spectacle!’.

‘Creating the Spectacle!’ is a groundbreaking series of live-art and video works by British artist Sue Austin featuring the world’s first underwater wheelchair, which flies along mid-water in a dramatic demonstration of the joy and freedom it brings.

underwater_wheelchair_08.jpg

Read More: http://www.viralnova.com/underwater-wheelchair/

This will go viral in a big way. Be sure to hit the links to see more pictures and to share on Facebook. Keep this news 'hot' :)

Firestormm

Shame we can't add comments to that website and the Facebook page for the publishers hasn't got the article up yet. I am still confused - I mean I know it is real as I checked Sue's website: http://www.susanaustin.co.uk/ But the article refers to her being in or associated with the 2012 Paralympics and I honestly cannot remember anyone with ME getting a mention. Nothing about her on Phoenix and surely we would have picked up on it. She wasn't eventing but was involved in some sort of art-demo thingy... Anyway, you can like on Facebook and Share which I have done. Just a shame we can't show our 'awe' with some comments. Never mind.

But the article refers to her being in or associated with the 2012 Olympics and I honestly cannot remember anyone with ME getting a mention.
It looks like the Cultural Olympiad was a separate event, preceding the Olympics and Paralympics. So sort of associated, but definitely distinct.

Firestormm

It looks like the Cultural Olympiad was a separate event, preceding the Olympics and Paralympics. So sort of associated, but definitely distinct.

Did you see the videos? Apparently also on YouTube but am too tired to look for them now. They are on her website as well: http://www.wearefreewheeling.org.uk/?location_id=1849

This is the second film in the 'Creating the Spectacle!' Online series. It was a special commission from LOCOG for the Paralympic Flame Festivals.

Firestormm

I just made the comment on Facebook that this is like when James Bond had that underwater car :) And Sue said in the write-up this was an NHS Wheelchair. Can you imagine checking one out from hospital and opting for 'the underwater version please'? LOL What a hoot!

Last edited:

biophile

Places I'd rather be.
Those are awesome. Unfortunately I can no longer tolerate being submerged in cold water without cramps and pain. During a failed course of GET I had access to a pool that was heated to skin temperate, that was much more comfortable!

I would also prefer my underwater wheelchair to be motorized.

Yes. I'll surface in canals near school yards, scaring the crap outta the cute little Dutch kids.

Haha, particularly if there are any local legends about what lurks in the canals!