• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Advice on protein powder

SOC

I use vanilla protein powder in my protein bars. I have been using whey protein powder, but I'm beginning to suspect that I may have a mild milk allergy so I want to switch to another form of protein powder. I'd like a complete protein. Can anyone suggest what type of protein powder might be good for me? Maybe even suggest a brand?

anne_likes_red

I have dairy sensitivity. A couple of years ago I used Sunwarrior bio-fermented rice protein (which apparently has a similar amino acid profile to whey). I liked it and tolerated it well.
It's not organic but it was tested recently after another rice protein powder was found to contain heavy metals, and as far I know Sunwarrior tested fine.

Ema

I have pea protein powder. It tastes pretty good. Especially if you add peanut butter!

I'll check the brand in the morning if you're interested.

ETA thanks @anne_likes_red, mine was Sunwarrior too though it seems the exact kind I had is no longer offered.

Martial

I use vanilla protein powder in my protein bars. I have been using whey protein powder, but I'm beginning to suspect that I may have a mild milk allergy so I want to switch to another form of protein powder. I'd like a complete protein. Can anyone suggest what type of protein powder might be good for me? Maybe even suggest a brand?

Yes do make sure to get brands that have heavy metal testing as MANY brands have high amounts of lead, arsenic, mercury, and cadmium way above the RDV.

a lot of people even those without allergies have digestive issues with some forms of whey protein, different blends can be a bit easier on the stomach.

You also do not want to bother with soy protein as that is just junk.. Whey or Casein is the best version and helpful for the body.. It is just difficult cause many people are allergic to these types lol.

I would go for casein if I were you, judging you are not allergic to it.

here is a good brand name for it and heavy metal free!

http://www.hammernutrition.com/

Just look at the casien versions of protein powder, rice is okay too but not as beneficial.

Also just in case you are on methylation protocol of any kind then whey protein is a big No, No. lol Though I don't think you mentioned doing methylation.

SOC

Yes do make sure to get brands that have heavy metal testing as MANY brands have high amounts of lead, arsenic, mercury, and cadmium way above the RDV.

a lot of people even those without allergies have digestive issues with some forms of whey protein, different blends can be a bit easier on the stomach.

You also do not want to bother with soy protein as that is just junk.. Whey or Casein is the best version and helpful for the body.. It is just difficult cause many people are allergic to these types lol.

I would go for casein if I were you, judging you are not allergic to it.

here is a good brand name for it and heavy metal free!

http://www.hammernutrition.com/

Just look at the casien versions of protein powder, rice is okay too but not as beneficial.

Also just in case you are on methylation protocol of any kind then whey protein is a big No, No. lol Though I don't think you mentioned doing methylation.
Unfortunately, I'm not dealing with lactose intolerance and the related digestive issues. Lactose intolerance is manageable. I'm having bad ear and nasal congestion as well as other more subtle reactions when I eat milk, cheese, whey protein powder and so on. That means casein is probably out also. :( Any milk-sourced product is not an option, at least until I figure out what's going on.

Methylation protocols have done nothing for me, so I guess I don't have a big issue there, for whatever reason. So no, I'm not doing anything major in the methylation area. But whey is out anyway, so no big deal. ;)

If soy is junk, that leaves... what? Rice? That's got a real problem with heavy metal contamination. Pea protein? Maybe, but it's not complete. Maybe a rice/pea blend? What about egg protein powder? Anybody know anything about that?

SOC

I have pea protein powder. It tastes pretty good. Especially if you add peanut butter!

I'll check the brand in the morning if you're interested.

ETA thanks @anne_likes_red, mine was Sunwarrior too though it seems the exact kind I had is no longer offered.
Do you have one that has something blended so that the protein is complete? I'm trying to remember what has to be combined with pea to complete the protein.... rice, I remember, but is there something else? I could add that into my protein bars as well, I suppose.

Peanut butter is out for me. Makes me sick. .....And here I was thinking I didn't have much in the way of dietary restrictions, lol! As soon as people start suggesting things, I'm saying, "Nope, can't eat that..." Ain't life fun?

Martial

Do you have one that has something blended so that the protein is complete? I'm trying to remember what has to be combined with pea to complete the protein.... rice, I remember, but is there something else? I could add that into my protein bars as well, I suppose.

Peanut butter is out for me. Makes me sick. .....And here I was thinking I didn't have much in the way of dietary restrictions, lol! As soon as people start suggesting things, I'm saying, "Nope, can't eat that..." Ain't life fun?

You can replace peanut butter with almond butter, much better in terms of health benefits and in my opinion tests better lol

egg protein powder is awesome! Get an egg white protein powder and you would be set!

helios

I also give the thumbs up to Sunwarrior bio-fermented rice protein. I have diary intolerance and while I love the whey protein for flavor and its assistance in weight gain when gym training its out. You could try WPI (isolate) which is a more refined version of whey. It is better tolerated by those with diary issues. It costs more though. I noticed it was definitely better for me than whey casien. After a while though I seemed to develop an intolerance to it unfortunately, from taking it everyday. I think for me its best to mix up my protein powders.
I wasn't that impressed with egg protein powder, and pea is just okay. I was on it for a while and wonder if I am becoming intolerant to it maybe. Beyond the fermented rice the other protein I give the big rap is hemp protein powder. I enjoyed eating lots of that with no adverse digestive effects and was training well when on it. the downside is its a bit pricey. (not to be confused with ground hemp seed or hemp powder - which are both a fair bit cheaper)

adreno

PR activist
If you can tolerate egg, that is going to be the highest quality protein you can get. Protein can be evaluated in severeal ways, here is a table showing the values of different kinds of protein, according to three different scores:

protein.jpg

http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/proteinanalysis6.pdf

I like this one from iherb:
http://www.iherb.com/Healthy-N-Fit-100-Egg-Protein-Vanilla-Ice-Cream-Flavor-2-lbs-908-g/6023

Last edited:

Ema

Yes, here are the complete ingredients for the Vanilla flavor:

Proprietary Protein Blend (Raw Organic Pea Protein, Raw Cranberry Protein, Raw Organic Hemp Seed Protein), Organic Vanilla Extract, Medium Chain Triglycerides from Coconut, Ancient Sea Salt, Herbal (Tea Leaf) Extract, Natural Fibers (Fenugreek, Konjac), Natural Citrus Extract, Stevia, Organic Cinnamon Extract

Ayaju

I use Dr. Mercola's Miracle Whey Protein Powder because I trust his research and his products. He advises against using whey isolate which most brands contain. I like his peanut butter protein bars too. His new chocolate whey protein bars are decadent! But cost an arm and a leg!

Judy

I would never touch whey or soy protein again.

I tried rice protein and the texture was gritty. Pea protein too, but both of those may be ok if you are mixing into a smoothie.

There is hemp seed protein. It tastes horrible to me and is a little gritty.

I liked egg white protein. It mixed up smoothly and easily.

Calathea

Soy is not "junk". It's controversial, but so is dairy, and you can make up my our own mind on both.

I'd suggest getting small quantities of different types and seeing which ones you can actually see yourself consuming on a regular basis. Plenty taste awful or have a weird texture. Once you've got it narrowed down, then you can make decisions based on price and nutritional quality.

Thinktank

I use beef plasma protein. I'm intolerant to dairy, eggs and most vegetable proteins so that leaves out most protein powders except beef plasma.

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
I use this rice protein, as so far it's the only non-dairy (possibly the only) protein I could find with low fiber (a requirement for me) and nothing else from my nasties list like "natural flavors", "Natural ___ flavor" [vanilla is typically safe for me, but few others can be counted on], maltodextrin, stevia, xylitol, etc.
http://www.iherb.com/p/24101?f=WNR209

I add ingredients from my pantry to make it tastier. I think I can have dairy again now, though of course that doesn't work for SOC. I have wondered if it would be safe for me to try pea protein mixed with.

Unlike the sticky rice on my table (California--relatively low risk of arsenic), I don't know where the rice in this can was grown. I can worry only about so many things. :) I feel better when I use this, so I use it. (Not meaning to say what you should do! :) )

Last edited: